Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket trailer hitch issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the EcoHitch recently on my MY and after doing so the red trailer mode warning light comes on a lot. There are times it doesn’t but a majority of the time it does. It happens with or without my bike rack installed. Since it is an aftermarket addition I don’t have “trailer mode” as an option to turn on or off? Anyone else have this issue or have any suggestions. Do you think if I scheduled a service order they would not cover the work since I added the hitch myself? All connection are good after the install. My hypothesis is the car might sense something is back there And think your trailer lights aren’t plugged in.

I installed the EcoHitch recently on my MY and after doing so the red trailer mode warning light comes on a lot. There are times it doesn’t but a majority of the time it does. It happens with or without my bike rack installed. Since it is an aftermarket addition I don’t have “trailer mode” as an option to turn on or off? Anyone else have this issue or have any suggestions. Do you think if I scheduled a service order they would not cover the work since I added the hitch myself? All connection are good after the install. My hypothesis is the car might sense something is back there And think your trailer lights aren’t plugged in.
This is the reason that I went for factory hitch, and have recommended that approach (and against 3P hitches) to avoid issues like yours.

Cool, if it doesn't bother you much. Did your hitch include a wiring connection for the trailer lights?
What are you carrying/towing, or does the symptom happen with nothing in the hitch receptacle?
I didn’t do the wiring harness because I only use the hitch for a bike rack. The earring light comes and goes with or without the rack in place.