Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels - range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at 19" aftermarket wheels for my new MY. Particularly the 19" wheels from Martian or Tsportline. I'm no expert but I would think due to the lighter weight that range would be increased slightly? I know the wheel covers are supposed to increase range by 3-4%. Does anyone have a link to range statistics for aftermarket wheels, the Martian's in particular? I've seen a video on youtube which proves lower 0-60 times but I haven't found anything on range.

I'd think the lighter wheels would have a very marginal effect on energy consumption as most of that is based on the total weight of the vehicle and air resistance. What's likely to have a larger impact is the fact that the Gemini covers are more aerodynamic then the replacement wheels.

I've replaced the Gemini wheels with TSportline 20" TST wheels, can't really tell the difference in range as my total mileage is only a few hundred miles (of which only 140 miles on the OEM 19"). Will do a trip to Utah next week.

BTW: you did not mention which wheels you have now. I'm comparing to Gemini wheels, the Uberturbines are way less efficient.

I'm was planning on buying 19" aftermarket wheels so I can use the tires that come with the car, but is there any reason I should be looking at 20" wheels? Better look and handling?
It's all up to what you like best. Look of the 20" is IMHO better, but ride might be a bit harsher due to less sidewall. Handling might be slightly better but I don't think that by itself is significant enough.

Also, you could just sell the Gemini wheels with tires and TPMS, plenty of people looking to buy those. Of course that means you need replacement TPMS sensors which I think are sold by Tesla for $75 each.

I'd think the lighter wheels would have a very marginal effect on energy consumption as most of that is based on the total weight of the vehicle and air resistance. What's likely to have a larger impact is the fact that the Gemini covers are more aerodynamic then the replacement wheels.

I've replaced the Gemini wheels with TSportline 20" TST wheels, can't really tell the difference in range as my total mileage is only a few hundred miles (of which only 140 miles on the OEM 19"). Will do a trip to Utah next week.

BTW: you did not mention which wheels you have now. I'm comparing to Gemini wheels, the Uberturbines are way less efficient.
Did you run any 0-60 times before and after the ubers? Curious if the wheel made any difference.