Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned, forged wheels are going to be the lightest, but they're also going to be a lot more expensive. Also, the less material on the face, the lighter the wheel will be. However it's a trade off as you usually want the wheel face closed up more for aerodynamics & range efficiency, and the extra material on the face makes the wheel more heavy. I don't know if there's a specific brand out there that's the 'must have' for EV cars, but I would look into the wheels specifically designed & made for Tesla cars and see what the rating & specs are on those.

Unless you're a range weenie, having a lighter wheel & tire setup (less unsprung weight at each corner) will probably be better and give you better acceleration & braking, but when cruising at highway speeds it won't be as aerodynamic. The actual range loss may be minimal at that point.
I find it kind of fun to be a range weenie at times since I came from a performance car where I never thought of range, ever. Yet I drive my MYP like a hoon, so range sucks anyways...so its a delicate conundrum. I love this car!! =)

During research it seems that some of the newer rotary forged wheels are lighter then even some forged. A set up I'm looking at with a 20x10+40 is coming in at 24lbs each according to the spec chart on the manufactures official site. Price point is about $550 each. Stock 20" Inductions are around 30lbs each.

I'm going for look but also looking to save my range.

So what brands/models are the holy grail of EV aftermarket wheel? I'm talking about aerodynamically efficient wheels for range, but also light and strong for performance?
The EV01+ was "tested" to have the same efficiency as Geminis and ~26 lbs. I got a set to use for winter, don't have personal experience just yet.