Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Agonizing Over When to Purchase New S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
I've decided it's time to trade in my 2013 P85 Model S for one that has the latest goodies (dual motors and AP). However, after reading through these forums, the speculation and rumors suggesting a refresh is imminent have kind of made me hesitant. Not as concerned about a possible design refresh (Model S is gorgeous as is), but rather the possibility of AP 2.0, which may have suggested will add additional cameras. Does the delivery date of feb for new orders indicate upgraded hardware for AP?

Also, I may go CPO, I found a pretty good deal on a late 2014 with AP. However, as pointed out in this thread (Is there really a difference? 2015 vs 2013) the changes between the 2013 and 2015 are very noticeable (I've picked up on them between mine and loaners). Does anyone know what (if any) changes there are between 2014 and 2015?

Thank you, your help is appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, does anyone know whether AP 1 will eventually be able to drive on surface streets? If so, what possible difference(s) would there be between 1 & 2?

As an early owner you know the drill, but my two cents - unless there is something specific that the cars available today can't do that you want, it's time to buy. You know you want AWD and AP which can be had now. If there is something else you need - like seat ventilation - that might be imminent, then wait. Other than that - go for it.

As an early owner you know the drill, but my two cents - unless there is something specific that the cars available today can't do that you want, it's time to buy. You know you want AWD and AP which can be had now. If there is something else you need - like seat ventilation - that might be imminent, then wait. Other than that - go for it.
Sadly, I know it all too well. Not too concerned about seat ventilation, just the prospect of new AP hardware/possible battery upgrades (may be a few years off since even the X is 70/90 KWh).