Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing a 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I am currently interested in a 2015 P85D with around 60k miles on it. The warranty is done at this point, and my main concern is that the battery could fail me in the future. I've heard the worst years are 2012 to 2014. Is 2015 a year I shouldn't have to worry about or is owning a Model S out of warranty a straight no? Thank you.

I think all batteries will fail eventually. Whether that's 100k or 300k miles, who knows how hard yours was driven, if it lived in arizona in the summer or alaska in the winter, etc.

Lots of other fun stuff breaks (on any 8 year old car by the way) not just the battery!

I went into this with the mindset, if it fails it will suck but then for the price of a used Camry I'll have an essentially new drivetrain on a car I want to keep and drive for almost free.

I also signed up for an 057 third party warranty to buy 2 more years of relative peace of mind. Check your VIN on their website for pricing.

In my opinion, SC01 *transferable* free unlimited supercharging or FUSC, is the best reason to buy a 2015. If the current owner has free supercharging and you won't get it then that doesn't help you. Otherwise you are better off with newer car but it will cost more.

Do some research here. I didn't see this was your first post until I replied. Welcome aboard!

And drive units fail too not just batteries. I think the larger more powerful P rear motor is more likely to fail but it is more fun I hear!

Hey guys, I am currently interested in a 2015 P85D with around 60k miles on it. The warranty is done at this point, and my main concern is that the battery could fail me in the future. I've heard the worst years are 2012 to 2014. Is 2015 a year I shouldn't have to worry about or is owning a Model S out of warranty a straight no? Thank you.
Just bought a 15 85D myself. I'd definitely say that you should go in know the possibility that you're going to need to spend $10-20K(ish) at some point if/when the battery fails. It might not while you own it. But it's certainly possible it will.
And given that you're looking at a performance model you'll want to be doing the yearly check on the rear motor for water leakage so you'll know when that work needs to be done...

In my opinion, SC01 *transferable* free unlimited supercharging or FUSC, is the best reason to buy a 2015. If the current owner has free supercharging and you won't get it then that doesn't help you. Otherwise you are better off with newer car but it will cost more.

Do some research here. I didn't see this was your first post until I replied. Welcome aboard!

And drive units fail too not just batteries. I think the larger more powerful P rear motor is more likely to fail but it is more fun I hear!
Much appreciated brother, thank you! Unfortunately, the batteries eventually dying out is a reality. A P sounds awesome! But totally not necessary, it's just the best-priced one near us. I called them, it does not have free supercharging, so that's also an advantage it doesn't have that I need to consider.

Just bought a 15 85D myself. I'd definitely say that you should go in know the possibility that you're going to need to spend $10-20K(ish) at some point if/when the battery fails. It might not while you own it. But it's certainly possible it will.
And given that you're looking at a performance model you'll want to be doing the yearly check on the rear motor for water leakage so you'll know when that work needs to be done...
That's the unfortunate reality, but congrats on the purchase! Hope it treats you well. I guess because of how paranoid I get, I think knowing a warranty has my back would help me feel a bit more reassured for sure.

There is actually another Model S, a 2016 facelifted one with 70k miles. It's a 75D and still has 16 months of warranty left! Would you guys recommend this one over the 2015 P85D? They're similarly priced in my area, and Im sure reliability-wise, the 2016 would a lot better reliability-wise I'm sure, and it has a warranty! That might be the one I'll try and go for unless there are issues with the 75D I haven't heard of before?

Well I would say no because of the reduced capacity but if the 75 is just software locked then at this age it might have as much capacity as an 85... (My 85 just went below 66kwh). Otherwise yeah if you want reliability I'd not get a P and newer would be better I think.

Buying a used 2015 P85D is like buying a used 2015 Mercedes S63 AMG. They're both expensive and they both can/will break at some point which will also be expensive to fix. The point is that "expensive" is part of the ownership experience and unless you're ready to take that on when (not if) it happens, don't go buying such cars.

With that said, I think you should totally go for it and experience EV ownership. Just don't jump in blind and be surprised when the HV battery or drive unit decides to give out on you after the 4th day of ownership. With my P85D, I lost $700 to the HV battery heater after 6 miles of ownership and having to deal with getting the car to the nearest service center which was 150 miles away... if you can deal with that on a car you just bought then you'll be fine.

I bought a '15 S 70D w/130k miles on it 8 months ago. It had 10 months of warranty left, so I was taking a calculated risk since you can't get any previous service history. Tesla won't give it out.
It has the usual degradation, but so far no battery or drive unit issues.
In a couple of months, I'll have to make a decision whether to get an extended warranty, like from 057Tech or risk it.

Another thing you should consider. How handy are you? Do like working on cars? What's your comfort level with doing minor maintenance yourself? Can you watch a few YouTube videos and typically be able to complete tasks?

Because that will save you some money for all the little things that aren't warrantied.
I've already repaired a door handle, replaced an instrument cluster, replaced a headlight bulb myself. Those are not cheap if you have to take it to an SC each time.
But I like to tinker, so I've also done several things just because I wanted to, like swap the interior dash trim from Obeche wood to CF, swapped upper B-pillars from textile to Alcantara, upgraded the interior lights to brighter LED's, chrome delete, etc...

I say that not to brag, but to say that these are a more high maintenance vehicle.
This forum has helped me immensely with getting recommendations and how-to's for my projects. So I try to give back when I can.
You'll find most of the folks on here are the same way, and we didn't buy a Tesla to just drive from A to B.
If you're looking for a straight commuter, and are just trying to avoid the gas station, Tesla isn't for you.

We're not necessarily gearheads, I know I'm not. But I like beautiful cars, and I'm willing to take the good with the bad.

Like some others that posted, I think the '16 refreshed 75D would be the better option. Even my 70D has plenty of performance. And the drive units share more of the load which seems to make them more reliable in the long run.
You get the newer nose, the range will probably be about the same as a P85D since the rear drive unit is smaller.
It's more likely to have MCU2, possibly full AP1.

Just my 2 sats. Ultimately, it'll come down to your preferences. I wish you luck, and enjoy whatever you choose!

Just check with the supercharger speeds, they might be awful...
Othewise, the 85 battery is reliable, the front motor i reliable... i would go for it if it charges fast enough. Mine charged 50kw at 50% which were pretty bad...