Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air compressor for tires at which CA Supercharger locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago, Tesla announced that air compressors would be added to supercharger locations. The only California one I've seen is at the Kettleman City supercharger.

The Tesla map doesn't include this feature in supercharger descriptions. Has anyone seen air available at other California locations?

Also, it would be helpful to include in descriptions of new locations if you see an air compressor being installed.

Yermo has them at the gas pumps.

I read somewhere that it's actually state law in CA to have them at gas stations. If someone wants to dig it up, it would be interesting to read the fine print on that law. Depending on how it is worded, Tesla may actually be required to provide air pumps at its California superchargers.

Yermo has them at the gas pumps.

I read somewhere that it's actually state law in CA to have them at gas stations. If someone wants to dig it up, it would be interesting to read the fine print on that law. Depending on how it is worded, Tesla may actually be required to provide air pumps at its California superchargers.

Law section

Service station,” as used in this chapter, means any establishment which offers for sale or sells gasoline or other motor vehicle fuel to the public.

Law section.

(a) (1) On and after January 1, 2000, every service station in this state shall provide, during operating hours, and make available at no cost to customers who purchase motor vehicle fuel, water, compressed air, and a gauge for measuring air pressure, to the public for use in servicing any passenger vehicle, as defined in Section 465 of the Vehicle Code, or any commercial vehicle, as defined in Section 260 of the Vehicle Code, with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.

I would say that Tesla sells "other motor vehicle fuel to the public" and that would mean that they have to provide air and water. It also means that they need to provide free restrooms for customers if they are near an interstate or primary highway:

(b) (1) On and after January 1, 1990, every service station in this state located within 660 feet of an accessible right-of-way of an interstate or primary highway, as defined in Sections 5215 and 5220, shall provide, during business hours public restrooms for use by its customers. Service stations shall not charge customers separately for the use of restroom facilities.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Pluto
They only need to provide it to people who purchase motor vehicle fuel. So ostensibly, they could have an air pump that only Model 3 owners are allowed to use :) Or they could have a supercharger station with no air pump that only Model S and X owners are allowed to use :)

Interestingly, by the letter of the law, every public charger in CA that isn't FREE needs to have an air pump and water provided. Chargepoint and Blink better get to work!

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and McManX
Or they could have a supercharger station with no air pump that only Model S and X owners are allowed to use :)

Nope, because not all S&Xs have free Supercharging.

Interestingly, by the letter of the law, every public charger in CA that isn't FREE needs to have an air pump and water provided. Chargepoint and Blink better get to work!

I was just going to post that. And don't forget the restrooms if near a highway...

Electrify America would have the same problem. And given that Chargepoint/Blink have lots of locations, it would be next to impossible for them to comply. (Adding an air compressor/gauge would be easy enough, but adding water to every site?)

I have to wonder if there is an exclusion somewhere...

@Jeff N you seem to be the resident EA expert, have you run across anything that would suggest that EA, and other EV charging, is exempted from the "service station" requirements in California?

One thing that muddies the waters a bit is that most locations aren't owned by Tesla. So technically, I don't think it qualifies as a "service station" based on reading the definitions here:

2015 California Code :: Business and Professions Code - BPC :: DIVISION 5 - WEIGHTS AND MEASURES :: CHAPTER 14.5 - Service Stations :: Section 13651.

At a minimum, I think Tesla (and other public EV charging station) would have a good argument against being classified as a service station except in instances where they own the facility (e.g. Kettleman City).

Reactions: McManX
One thing that muddies the waters a bit is that most locations aren't owned by Tesla.

Are you saying that if a gas station was leasing the building/land that they would be exempt from the requirements since they didn't own it?

The definition for the requirement is "“Service station,” as used in this chapter, means any establishment which offers for sale or sells gasoline or other motor vehicle fuel to the public." Do we now have to define what "establishment" means?

Tesla fits the dictionary definition of an establishment and they do sell motor vehicle "fuel" to the public...

Are you saying that if a gas station was leasing the building/land that they would be exempt from the requirements since they didn't own it?

The definition for the requirement is "“Service station,” as used in this chapter, means any establishment which offers for sale or sells gasoline or other motor vehicle fuel to the public." Do we now have to define what "establishment" means?

Tesla fits the dictionary definition of an establishment and they do sell motor vehicle "fuel" to the public...
You could be right. The difference, of course, is that Tesla generally doesn't have a presence at these locations outside of the charging stalls, whereas a service station leasing property does. They are likely to have employees and a store. I'm not saying I'm right, I just think Tesla could make that argument and have a reasonable chance of winning it.

To be clear, I'd prefer we have air stations (and restrooms!) at all Supercharger locations. And window washing. I'm just trying to see if there's a point in differentiating between service stations and charging stations.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Electricity is defined as a fuel in Section 13400:

Codes Display Text.

Electricity is further assumed to be a fuel by prohibiting the charging of a parking fee (with the notable exception of a parking fee for charging electric vehicles.)

Law section.

Then, Tesla does not post conspicuous pricing at each location as required:

Codes Display Text.

I do not think posting their pricing on their website complies with these statutes.

Then, is the amount of current tested by the appropriate agency to verify that what is delivered is accurate? There are no seals from the county agricultural commissioner or division of weights and measurements on the SC cabinets.

Codes Display Text

Like a lot of legislation, this appears to have been cobbled together by a group of know-nothings. They say that electricity is a fuel. Yet there is no testing, no requirement for posting prices.

I bought a slime kit (mine is an older version) in case I get a flat and don't want to wait for AAA. The kit has an air compressor in it, and I've thought about using it to inflate my tires (if they are under-inflated) while I charge. Personally haven't tried it yet, but a friend did and say it works fine. You just plug it in to your lighter port for power.

I bought a slime kit (mine is an older version) in case I get a flat and don't want to wait for AAA. The kit has an air compressor in it, and I've thought about using it to inflate my tires (if they are under-inflated) while I charge. Personally haven't tried it yet, but a friend did and say it works fine. You just plug it in to your lighter port for power.

Do a search, but I think some concluded the slime does not work with foam in the tires

• Informative
Reactions: KathyApplebaum
Do a search, but I think some concluded the slime does not work with foam in the tires

thanks for the heads up - if the tires are the acoustic with foam, then this is true. I was a bit reluctant to use the slime anyways cause i've heard it may require you to replace your tpms sensors as well. last time we had a flat on our prius, AAA came to look at it and gave us two options - either we could tow it to the closet tire repair shop or they could inflate it for us and we could drive a bit further to get it fixed (ex. America's Tire Co or Costco). We were thinking if that happened again, we'd just inflate the tire so we could drive it short distance to a tire repair shop instead of waiting for AAA.

Reactions: McManX