TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Alarm notification/remote killswitch?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by J1mbo, Jun 15, 2014.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Trying to get my new MS insured with a broker and was asked a couple of interesting questions when discussing the need for a third party tracker to be installed...

* Does the car notify you if the alarm is triggered, i.e. through the app or an email/SMS?

* Do Tesla have a remote-kill function to disable the car in the event it is stolen with the key?

I told him I didn't think so for either but I guess this is something that could be pretty easily implemented by Tesla in a future software update. Anyone know for sure?
  2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    No on the first one (at least with the current firmware). Second one could be answered with "yes, they have the capability" but Tesla's exact policy on how they would react to law enforcement calling them for assistance is unknown. But it's not a true "LoJack" setup, like insurance companies are probably used to.