Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone rear-ended and Totaled my beloved Model 3, sharing my experience, DO NOT make the same mistake I did.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will just say here that I MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer a post like this, rather than post 1,245 on:

1. Is this car totaled?

Or

2. I drove X miles but Y miles came off my battery. My car is broken, right? (or any other permutation of "My battery!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!" that gets posted.

I found this much more enjoyable than either of those topics.
Totally agree

Yeah.. that uninsured driver. I understand sympathy and all that, but the guy made a choice: I'm a-gonna buy me some wheels, but not bother with insurance.

Money's money, but if one can't afford it, one can't afford it. Stick to the bicycle.

SO drives a Y. Great car. I do FSD-b on a 2018 M3 LR RWD, but I like pushing the state of the art. The SO, not so much, and her MY has EAP, which is good for the long trips.

Reactions: SO16
The performance boost doesn't compare to the Performance model! I have driven a M3P and on w/ the boost. M3P is just a better car. I have a MYP. My biggest takeaway is you own a FOCUS. I am flabbergasted that any of those POS are still running. One of the worst cars ever made, we had one years ago.

About the guy who hit my car...
Yes. Hit a Tesla - jail ... mother...r!
Sorry but I don't feel sorry about that guy or the guy who hit and run and destroyed our friend's car she just got and she had no collision insurance on her car. There are many many really poor and unfortunate people who do follow the law! People who break the law are not only bring troubles upon self but often upon other poor people.

He mentioned that the truck is new to him.
I felt back for a minute because I work and serve this underserved community. I see people struggle with legit reasons. This world is not perfect.
I understand that there are all kinds of reasons not to feel bad of him driving without insurance or license.
But I just cannot get away that he may be getting his life on the right track. He worked and got a truck he can afford, but his accident ruined everything.
He will be in jail again, spend another $1000 to fix the truck, and he may be sued by my insurance and then have another 30k debt (hopefully not the full amount if the loss is partially recovered from the auction). He's not going to make it for his entire life.

I'm just a lucky guy who's able to pay for a decent insurance plan and buy a car right away even when insurance payment is still in process. It was inconvenient to me but now everything is back to normal and now I'm having a much newer and faster car.

I don't know how to describe this weird feeling I have about the social-economic discrepancy. But I truly wish this guy good and get out of this soon.

DO NOT follow a Tesla too close, they are expensive to fix. DO NOT use phone while driving. DO NOT drive without insurance. I have no mercy on those.
I could not agree more with your sentiment. Back in the 80s, a friend of mine sold his business and bought a red Ferrari (Magnum PI!) to celebrate his success. A week later, a woman driving an old F-150 blasted the front end of his new ride. The repairs exceeded $50k (in the 80s!) and the insurance company was going after the uninsured driver. My friend ended up selling the car, saying "They will hound her for the rest of her life for a mistake. I don't want to feel like this again," Like him, you are obviously one of world's good people. I'm glad you eventually found your way back to an M3; enjoy!

I felt back for a minute because I work and serve this underserved community. I see people struggle with legit reasons. This world is not perfect.
I understand that there are all kinds of reasons not to feel bad of him driving without insurance or license.
But I just cannot get away that he may be getting his life on the right track. He worked and got a truck he can afford, but his accident ruined everything.
He will be in jail again, spend another $1000 to fix the truck, and he may be sued by my insurance and then have another 30k debt (hopefully not the full amount if the loss is partially recovered from the auction). He's not going to make it for his entire life.

I'm just a lucky guy who's able to pay for a decent insurance plan and buy a car right away even when insurance payment is still in process. It was inconvenient to me but now everything is back to normal and now I'm having a much newer and faster car.

I don't know how to describe this weird feeling I have about the social-economic discrepancy. But I truly wish this guy good and get out of this soon.

DO NOT follow a Tesla too close, they are expensive to fix. DO NOT use phone while driving. DO NOT drive without insurance. I have no mercy on those.
Thanks for sharing your story and making it short. You are such a person with great heart. If I were you I will be super frustrated and upset. For that guy who hit your car, IMO, he took the chance and now pay the price, he knew it will happen, just the matter of time.

Thanks for sharing your story and making it short. You are such a person with great heart. If I were you I will be super frustrated and upset. For that guy who hit your car, IMO, he took the chance and now pay the price, he knew it will happen, just the matter of time.
No excuse for driving w/o insurance…PERIOD. None whatsoever. Doing so is stealing from others. Every time an uninsured driver causes a collision, the insurance premiums for every insured driver go up. Not to mention that the insured driver who did not cause the collision still has to pay his or her deductible, which is $500 for most people—so it really is stealing.

Last edited:
No excuse for driving w/o insurance…PERIOD. None whatsoever. Doing so is stealing from others. Every time an uninsured driver causes a collision, the insurance premiums for every insured driver go up. Not to mention that the insured driver who did not cause the collision still has to pay his or her deductible, which is $500 for most people—so it really is stealing.
Even if you have insurance at US-state-mandated minimum levels, you are still under-insured. Pennsylvania (and some others) requires just $5000 in property insurance liability which is hardly enough to replace more than a bumper, let alone replacing an entire new car.

As much as I want to share, didn't do too much of proofread... And sorry for some language problems since English is my second language.
Don’t worry about the rude people. I understood what you were trying to say.

I too was in a major accident (rear ended, 2 week old car totaled). I’m just glad that everyone came out ok and we got most of our money back.

I have no sympathy for the fellow who totaled your car and was driving a pricey large SUV. If they can afford a vehicle of that size, they can afford basic insurance.

Great read!

Very generous of you to have empathy for the person being taken away in cuffs. That would give me mixed feelings too. If you're educated and affluent, you may not be exposed to that world, but poor people who are flawed get dealt with through the courts. It's harsh, and it's unforgiving. I knew a guy in perpetual debt to the court system who had his license revoked for good reason. To pay off his fines, he had to drive to work, which he couldn't do legally, so he resorted to driving without a license. I was thinking there must be a better way, but this guy was just a cog in the system. Creative solutions to get someone on the right path are not really offered to poor people.

My main reaction is that all you had is a little bit of minor damage to the rear. The trunk crumpled a bit, but the battery was unaffected. The newer model 3 I believe use a rear casting, but a 2018 model is not even a rear casting like the newer versions. I'm surprised that damage is not repairable in a more economical way.