Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alien Dreadnought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People seem to have forgotten that since Elon/Tesla started designing manufacturing plant - GigaFactory - Elon has complained that production lines are way too slow. He wants to speed them up considerably. Near full automation is the key. Get people out of the way.

If you can double the speed of the assembly line, you just doubled production. 500,000 goes to near 1,000,000.
Elon has suggested that design/engineering of manufacturing plant could be up to 10x more effective than work on the product design/engineering, when it comes to cost savings, for example. google search for more
Musk: Tesla's factory will become an 'alien dreadnought'

What's your point? This was discussed so many times on the forum.

He also said this alien dreadnought thing only applies starting with Model Y. He also said Model 3 production line speed will be in line with other top of the line car factories (that is to say, not very fast). Since Model Y is now built on the Model 3 platform, I am not even sure if they can make it that fast anymore. Maybe the model after Y?

What's your point? This was discussed so many times on the forum.

He also said this alien dreadnought thing only applies starting with Model Y. He also said Model 3 production line speed will be in line with other top of the line car factories (that is to say, not very fast). Since Model Y is now built on the Model 3 platform, I am not even sure if they can make it that fast anymore. Maybe the model after Y?
Maybe he wasn't able to read the many discussions about it. So he shouldn't ask about it?

Reactions: 03DSG
This was discussed so many times on the forum.

I searched for "alien dreadnought" and got zero results. suggest a better term to try and find these discussions?

And THANK YOU, as your comment is very informative. Didn't know dreadnought was Model Y dependent. And no idea if Fremont factory has room for a 3rd production line ... would I learn anymore from past dreadnought discussions??

I searched for "alien dreadnought" and got zero results. suggest a better term to try and find these discussions?

And THANK YOU, as your comment is very informative. Didn't know dreadnought was Model Y dependent. And no idea if Fremont factory has room for a 3rd production line ... would I learn anymore from past dreadnought discussions??

Alien dreadnought was just another piece of nugget for Tesla's fans on twitter. :) It was meant for Model 3, but the goal posts have been moved, as usual. Now it's all upto the free yogurt and the roller coaster in the parking lot :) When we see a roller coaster in Fremont factory flyover, we will know the factory is ready to take off.;)
Elon has also backed out from his plan of a new 'alien dreadnought' factory for Model Y. Well, his execs backed him out because that also makes zero sense.

No, Fremont factory cannot support this mythical creature called 'alien dreadnought' that will make cars with voodoo magic. Read this article below. These are auto industry experts, who know a thing or two about car industry. Not like Elon, who will say anything, meaningful or not, to excite his fandom.
Lucy In The Sky With Ambien: Tesla's Elon Musk At New Highs

Last edited:
AD was just the usual initial phase of Elon talking about a topic he understands 1% and has suddenly started thinking about...while assuming no one else has considered it before. I’m reminded of the first principles speeches that reiterated concepts that people have restated for 200 years!

His figure of merit for factories was output per cubic meter of volume. Enough said.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
designing parts to be assembled by robots vs robots replacing people

Is this an evolutionary step in assembly manufacturing?
The machine that builds the machine. Alien Dreadnought as Musk imagines it.

As others have pointed out:
NOT Model 3 production line. Model Y based on Model 3, soprobably not Y either.
Who/when might this happen with vehicles? we shall see

Perhaps Dyson? Has he scaled back his vehicle plans?
Uniti in Sweden?
- Uniti (car) - Wikipedia
- Uniti - An electric car to redefine urban mobility
Perhaps vehicles are a "bad" application for this Alien Dreadnought idea.
[current auto industry needs 12 models on one production line

OR autonomous vehicles might be the perfect product for Alien Dreadnought factories.
Apple IF they have the drive to do it.
Google ? they don't make things, so I doubt it. They have the resources, but...

Except for Musk, seems US corporations are all about monopolies and working with the "Empire/government" and their only value is $ - Wall Street. i.e. Their managers see maximizing profits and NOT innovation as paths to the future. right?

Perhaps Boring Company/Hyperloop sledges could be the perfect Alien Dreadnought product?

Musk Initiates Climbdown From Tesla's High Horse, Production Revolution Postponed
thanks to @Garlan Garner for finding
“Density and velocity” are not the holy grail in this complex industry, but rather overall productivity and flexibility.
brando: YES, for the current Auto Industry offering different models of vehicles.

sledges may not need different models - nor autonomous vehicles? one model might be fine.

side note:
Toyota And Mazda Join Hands To Build EVs
Mazda should have partnered with Tesla/Panasonic. (Tesla's designer Franz came from Mazda)
Next auto sales disruption?

Last edited: