Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment. Tyre wear. Model X: Tesla factory "In spec" lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check your alignment. Relatively brand new Model X and the factory alignment is very, very poor. You can see the toe AND the camber is off in the rear. This will adversely affect wear of tyres, potentially the front too, and negatively affect handling as well as braking.

I got some larger brake rotors, uprated pads, uprated braking fluid, steel braking lines done at Zevcentric in Freemont, and Rishi helpfully pointed out the rear wheels alignment and asked if I saw anything. Visually, clearly out of toe and camber, both.

I am aware of the tyre wear issues for Tesla (particularly big lardy girls like our Plaid X) and the factory spec is frankly unacceptable - and it gets worse in different ride heights!! As factory spec, it is clearly off in the rear.

I recommend you get yours aligned, it will affect tyre wear, wear of components, handling and braking alike. I got mine done. No immediate feeling change but I can visually see it sits better on the back. The braking though, whole different story, definitely changed that noticeably...

Theres a few ways to do rear alignment without spending a fortune on control arms and bits and pieces, talk to a store that knows Teslas and what they are doing in alignment. Spend a little (in my case) to save a fortune in tyres over the longer haul... and have more consistent and safer handling.

Reactions: boney12
Historically, the MX has a relatively severe negative rear camber of -1.7 deg, and there’s no adjustment - it’s a “design feature”. This causes excessive inner edge tire wear.

I put in adjustable rear camber links & set the camber to -1.0 deg, and my rear tires are wearing evenly now.

RE Tesla alignments, I had to have them repeat their recent alignment because the vehicle started pulling to the right afterwards. I’d recommend going to a professional suspension shop for alignments.

• Love
Reactions: BayAreaCelt