Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Tire Wear and Suspension/Alignment question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone.

I have a 2020 Model X Performance.

When I hit the brakes at highway speed, the car shakes, which I thought was a brake issue at first (which would have surprised me at such at only 32k miles).

So I took a look at the tires and noticed the inside of my rear tires were down to the steel braids (see pic), and the balance weights were coming off one of the tires. I immediately order rear replacement tires.

This led me to believe the alignment was off so I had a local shop check the alignment (see pic). From the results, nearly everything was in spec, which made me wonder how the inside of the tires were so badly worn. Does anyone have any insight into how all the metrics on the alignment check would have impacted tire wear?

Finally, I asked them to look at the brakes, which I thought was the original issue, and it looked like they were all in spec.

So I assume that once I replace the tire, the shaking should stop - does that make sense, or do you think I need to get it aligned, or there are some other things I should investigate.

Thanks!
IMG_7033.jpeg
IMG_7032.jpeg
IMG_7008.jpeg

all tesla model x and s need after market camber kits on the rear in order to not premature wear the very inside of the tire. The issue is that the s and x run stock about negative 3 degrees of rear camber and there is no way to adjust the rear camber with out an after market camber kit. The goal for normal rear tire wear is to shoot for negative 1 to negative 1.5 degrees of rear camber .

or you can just keep buy rear tires ever 20k miles and leave the stock -3 degrees of rear camber. But if you correct the excessive rear camber tires shouls last twice to 3 times as long

• Helpful
Reactions: BayAreaCelt
all tesla model x and s need after market camber kits on the rear in order to not premature wear the very inside of the tire. The issue is that the s and x run stock about negative 3 degrees of rear camber and there is no way to adjust the rear camber with out an after market camber kit. The goal for normal rear tire wear is to shoot for negative 1 to negative 1.5 degrees of rear camber .

or you can just keep buy rear tires ever 20k miles and leave the stock -3 degrees of rear camber. But if you correct the excessive rear camber tires shouls last twice to 3 times as long

Can -1.5 degrees of rear camber be achieved through tuning the stock set-up (without the after market camber kits)?

Closer to -2 on low.

Hi Everyone.

I have a 2020 Model X Performance.

When I hit the brakes at highway speed, the car shakes, which I thought was a brake issue at first (which would have surprised me at such at only 32k miles).

So I took a look at the tires and noticed the inside of my rear tires were down to the steel braids (see pic), and the balance weights were coming off one of the tires. I immediately order rear replacement tires.

This led me to believe the alignment was off so I had a local shop check the alignment (see pic). From the results, nearly everything was in spec, which made me wonder how the inside of the tires were so badly worn. Does anyone have any insight into how all the metrics on the alignment check would have impacted tire wear?

Finally, I asked them to look at the brakes, which I thought was the original issue, and it looked like they were all in spec.

So I assume that once I replace the tire, the shaking should stop - does that make sense, or do you think I need to get it aligned, or there are some other things I should investigate.

Thanks!View attachment 948502View attachment 948503View attachment 948504

Attachments

• IMG_7032.jpeg
    IMG_7032.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_7033.jpeg
    IMG_7033.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 227
So brakes are good, alignment is not way off, and I replace the one tire where the inside tread was gone and misbalanced.

The issue still persists that when I hit the brake traveling above 50mph the car shakes.

Any other ideas on what this could be?

Wow, I have had the same problem. Where do you go to fix the rear camber issue? I just got new tires, rear, for the exact same inner wear issue. Is it a place that does alignments?
you go online and buy a rear camber kit for your specific car. You either install it yourself or you take it to your favorite independent mechanic. Then you take your tesla to a place of your choosing that do wheel alignments. Then you tell then you want less than negative 2 degrees of rear camber on the height setting of low. keep toe and caster settings at factory specifications. Tesla will not do install this and will not do an alignment to a tesla with a camber kit.

Hi @APX20 ,

I would mention another place to look for these kits is: Macsboost.com
They are a performance motorsports company.
They offer adjustable camber kits for Tesla S and X 2021 and earlier...

For the "new," refresh, Palladium Tesla X and S 2021+
They offer a "kit" which consists of 2 large metal horseshoe shaped shims.
I purchased the 2021+ kit for my 2022 Model X.
I installed them myself... It was different but not difficult.
I am hoping for less rear inner tire wear in the future...
Only time will tell.

I am not affiliated in any way with Macsboost.
Just a happy customer.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: Tulipo
Where do I buy the read camber kits? I have a 2016 MX. I found these 2 options, and looking for any reviews/experience using any of them. The price difference is significant so am not sure which one is the right one and safe one.

OR

Does this also affect the refreshed X? I have a 2023 MXP, has Tesla fixed this issue?
I'm leasing mine, so I don't really want to install a Camber kit, would driving it on Medium ride height alleviate this?

Where do I buy the read camber kits? I have a 2016 MX. I found these 2 options, and looking for any reviews/experience using any of them. The price difference is significant so am not sure which one is the right one and safe one.

OR

I bought the n2itive ones because heard about them on another thread. Seemed to be high quality and so far no issues but only have had them for 5k miles.

Hi @APX20 ,

I would mention another place to look for these kits is: Macsboost.com
They are a performance motorsports company.
They offer adjustable camber kits for Tesla S and X 2021 and earlier...

For the "new," refresh, Palladium Tesla X and S 2021+
They offer a "kit" which consists of 2 large metal horseshoe shaped shims.
I purchased the 2021+ kit for my 2022 Model X.
I installed them myself... It was different but not difficult.
I am hoping for less rear inner tire wear in the future...
Only time will tell.

What is the thickness of those shims? I'm thinking of trying off-the-shelf washers and professional re-alignment thereafter (its $50 bucks).

What is the thickness of those shims? I'm thinking of trying off-the-shelf washers and professional re-alignment thereafter (its $50 bucks).

Looks like 1/8". I don't have a refresh X to measure the camber otherwise I would. I think square washers are like $40-60 on McMaster. I was going to throw together a quick CAD drawing and make it available to anybody who wanted to get them made. Hell, I'm sure if you set up a post you could cut a bunch of them and distribute the cost.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Looks like 1/8". I don't have a refresh X to measure the camber otherwise I would. I think square washers are like $40-60 on McMaster. I was going to throw together a quick CAD drawing and make it available to anybody who wanted to get them made. Hell, I'm sure if you set up a post you could cut a bunch of them and distribute the cost.

Appreciated. 1/8" is 2-3 fingernail thicknesses? Do you see anything that prevents from using standard off-the-shelf circular washers that are on the cheap?

Furthermore, what's the torque spec on those (M12?) bolts?

Found post Rear Camber Adjust Link DIY Possible, But Requires More Work Than It Appears On Paper but it doesn't seem to discuss the M12 torque.

However, found a n2itive installation vid that mentions:
  • 85M upper attachment
  • 150NM lower attachment

Last edited: