Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah whatever

Tesla didn't have to build 400k cars a year to make a positive gross margin.

From Q4 2012 earnings report

"
Total revenues for Q4 were $306 million, a 500% increase over Q3. During the quarter we delivered approximately 2,400 Model S vehicles.

..."From Q3 to Q4, total gross margin rose from (17)% to almost 8%"
Exactly. Look, not everyone is as good a CEO as Elon, but at least be half as good as him? None of the EV startups is a real company in my opinion. A real company is one that has a hope of making money. None of the EV startups have even come close to demonstrating this is possible.

Positive gross margins is just the first step. You still have to get to positive operating margins (ie overall profitability).

People love to take the total loss for a quarter and divide it by the total number of vehicles sold. That’s not loss per vehicle sold.

That’s not gross margin, either.

That’s a BS number that includes operating expenses.

We all know gross margin is selling price divided by COGS - 1.
Correct, Lucid is only losing 117k per car from a gross profit standpoint. Given their ASP is around 87.7k, their gross margins are only -133%, practically breaking even.

• Funny
Reactions: samppa and Yelobird
Want to see what a real rabbit being pulled out of a hat looks like?

Q1 2013 Tesla earnings report....
Gross margin: 17%
4,900 delivered
GAAP profit of 11M

I bet it was much easier back then during the middle of financial crisis and when battery packs were 10x more expensive to deliver these results....I know I know..Tesla got lucky....

Want to see what a real rabbit being pulled out of a hat looks like?

Q1 2013 Tesla earnings report....
Gross margin: 17%
4,900 delivered
GAAP profit of 11M

I bet it was much easier back then during the middle of financial crisis and when battery packs were 10x more expensive to deliver these results....I know I know..Tesla got lucky....
That's the quarter I got my Model S. I had only reserved late November 2022. But in January 2023, the infamous NY Times article came out alleging the journalist ran out of charge looking for a Supercharger. That caused oodles of reservations holders to "pause" their deliveries. I remember in February when I picked it up, the Tesla employee heartfelt thanked me for continuing through with the purchase.

In January, it was literally touch and go at Tesla since unlike the idiots running their companies into the ground now, Tesla did not have a ton of cash to burn, nor would it have been easy to raise it if they fell on their faces that quarter. That quarter was the first of many Tesla stock price zooms when people figured out that maybe this company has legs.

People love to take the total loss for a quarter and divide it by the total number of vehicles sold. That’s not loss per vehicle sold.

That’s not gross margin, either.

That’s a BS number that includes operating expenses.

We all know gross margin is selling price divided by COGS - 1.
You mean what Lucid reports to its own investors and the SEC is BS?
1715305191094.png

OpEx include SGA and R&D. Cost of revenue is COGS, which is about 250% of revenue, does not include OpEx. In order words, -150% gross margin.
And gross margin is the other way around, 1 - COGS / rev

Yeah whatever

Tesla didn't have to build 400k cars a year to make a positive gross margin.

From Q4 2012 earnings report

"
Total revenues for Q4 were $306 million, a 500% increase over Q3. During the quarter we delivered approximately 2,400 Model S vehicles.

..."From Q3 to Q4, total gross margin rose from (17)% to almost 8%"
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of Lucid's marginal costs per vehicle, to understand what they're actually spending $234k on for a $100k car, and how they plan to reduce these costs below $100k. It's hard to imagine they'd get funding, even by the Saudis, if they didn't have a credible plan to do this. The plan may fail of course, but I'm still curious what it is.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of Lucid's marginal costs per vehicle, to understand what they're actually spending $234k on for a $100k car, and how they plan to reduce these costs below $100k
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to post such numbers and not give investors a clear explanation. They talk about fixed costs, but total D&A including non-factory stuff like offices, CAD systems, etc. was only 69m in Q1. That's at most 17% of COGS or about 35k/car and realistically maybe 15% / 30k. So even tripling production to 27k/year would only reduce factory D&A per car from 30k to 10k. They've got MAJOR cost issues beyond factory fixed cost but they refuse to give meaningful info on the other cost drivers.

They also say gross margin will actually get worse later this year!

Reactions: Ben W and MP3Mike