Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All these tire threads have me...tired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. And you're on 18" or 19" wheels?
I am on 19" Sport Wheels. I am home now but I noted that later in my drive which was on secondary and back roads, all with the sound off, I did not notice anything but the most minimal of noise. For context, I have a hypersensitivity to noise and right now I have a migraine which makes it worse. The sound that I did hear was very easy on my ears.

• Love
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
But seriously, reading these tire threads about winter tires, summer tires, performance tires, staggered tires, hot tires, cold tires, red tires, yellow tires; if you find a better tire, BUY IT!, has made me tired. I am confused and not even close to a performance/look guy. All I want are tires to replace my current factory tires which failed inspection (low tread). I prefer to use all seasons because I don't often get the time to have them swapped out (or to do them myself), and I also lack the space for storing the season appropriate tires. I drive at least 25k miles a year if it matters. To that end, I did a search here and online but I could not find tires that I felt confident in purchasing and having installed on my car.

Can any of you (speaking in plain terms) suggest tires that are a best fit as a replacement for the current factory continentals the vehicles come with? For point of reference, I have the 2018 M3 with the Long Range 'trim'; it is also RWD. I understand that the factory tires come with the foam to lessen/dampen road noise through the tires - is this a significant concern? Also, does anyone in Virginia (NOVA) have a recommended source for the tires? I was looking at getting them through Costco, NTB, Sears, Bridgestone, or, if I must, Virginia Tire and Auto. With the costs I have been quoted so far, I need options aside from just going with what I was quoted.

Yes it can be overwhelming. My best options when buying tires is going on tire rack, looking at reviews for the type of tire you want and making a decision. With more rating with 5 stars, the better you’ll find a tire that meets your needs.
I find people here recommend pilot super sports lol like some soccer mom or joe blow who needs it for work needs a tire like that. Or they’ll say it’s because they’d rather stop on a dime. Okkkkk sure. Go for it.

Yes it can be overwhelming. My best options when buying tires is going on tire rack, looking at reviews for the type of tire you want and making a decision. With more rating with 5 stars, the better you’ll find a tire that meets your needs.
I find people here recommend pilot super sports lol like some soccer mom or joe blow who needs it for work needs a tire like that. Or they’ll say it’s because they’d rather stop on a dime. Okkkkk sure. Go for it.

It's not as simple as looking at star ratings. Your example you even gave is a perfect contradiction on your own comment. Because the pilot super sports are one of THE highest rated tires. But each and every tire is rated within its category.

Some tires are spec'd with very long tread life and you might see a low star review from someone because they ONLY got 60K miles out of them because they were spec'd for 70K.

You really do need to know what you want first. Do you want high efficiency or crazy good grip. Some folks would (correctly) argue Soccer mom's should have pilot super sports too. Because they will stop faster than most any tire in conditions they are meant for. Other folks would argue why don't you want the maximum efficiency on your EV (and stopping and wet performance be damned). And each of those tires in their respective category may have top marks but would have terrible marks rated against the opposite category.

The OEM tires Tesla chooses lean towards efficiency on the low end and Summer grip on the high end.

I personally wanted the quietest tire and be damned with the rest of the tire attributes. But I was willing to swap tires for winter and find the quietest Winter and quietest summer tire. As best as I could.

It is worth taking the time to learn and understand the tradeoffs and listen to folks reasoning for their choices.

Okay I got the tires on (Bridgestone Turanza QuietTracks), passed inspection and drove some of my more crappy roads home. These tires are so fecking...QUIET! They are quieter than the OEM tires by a significant enough margin that I will recommend them (based on early road testing). Should these prove to pan out for the long haul, these may be my go-to shoes from now on (until something much better comes along). Here in NOVA, the cost was $1061 (rounded up to the nearest dollar) out the door. If you buy them, they are about $940 or so, maybe a bit more.

How are you liking them now? How has wet traction been? That seems to be the only downside based on the tirerack reviews