Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alliant Credit Union bails on Tesla loans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd share this awesome nugget.

I called my bank, Alliant Credit Union in Chicago, IL on April 18th to ask about their financing options, specifically discussing the Tesla Model 3. The rep boasted they they are the "#1 Tesla Financier in the nation". At that time they offered 2.99% @ 60 mos.

That was as of April 18th.

I called today to ask one additional generic question and before even discussing which specific model, I was informed that they are no longer financing any Tesla in the state of NY. I was informed NYS is one of many other states they no longer finance in, as well. I was told this was effective May 1.

What a shame. I can't seem to get a reason out of them. My guess is either they are afraid they won't get resale value out of the collateral (?) or perhaps they're short on TSLA too.

They advised me to go through Tesla financing directly.

So now I'm off to see what other CUs will take me in.

So if you were thinking Alliant CU would be a good choice for you, you better check again.

-T

I thought I'd share this awesome nugget.

I called my bank, Alliant Credit Union in Chicago, IL on April 18th to ask about their financing options, specifically discussing the Tesla Model 3. The rep boasted they they are the "#1 Tesla Financier in the nation". At that time they offered 2.99% @ 60 mos.

That was as of April 18th.

I called today to ask one additional generic question and before even discussing which specific model, I was informed that they are no longer financing any Tesla in the state of NY. I was informed NYS is one of many other states they no longer finance in, as well. I was told this was effective May 1.

What a shame. I can't seem to get a reason out of them. My guess is either they are afraid they won't get resale value out of the collateral (?) or perhaps they're short on TSLA too.

They advised me to go through Tesla financing directly.

So now I'm off to see what other CUs will take me in.

So if you were thinking Alliant CU would be a good choice for you, you better check again.

-T
I was able to get a rate just under 2% from a local CU. You probably can do better than what Alliant was quoting anyway.

For those looking for financing this thread had a lot of good information including a couple national Credit Unions that you could join by making a donation to a foundation they support. I haven't followed it in quite a while so I can't say if any of the rates are still applicable but it might help.

Just gotta say, my experience so far on “loan arranged through Tesla” has been great. I was approved within the hour. Especially considering it was .1% higher than other CUs I had been looking at. That works out to what, $50/yr? When you look at 72months they all seem to be about the same. (I’m fully prepared to go have people I’m totally wrong and only a fool would pay 3.39% on a loan- call me a fool)

However, with the process being simple and not having to worry about institutions talking to each other and the rate being acceptable (to me anyway) I think folks shouldn’t completely disregard the ease of Tesla handling the financing end to maybe save a paltry amount down the road.

Reactions: jsrawa and UZJedi
I believe they did not offer it for about a month, it's available now, I applied last night, wasn't an option when I ordered in July.

And approved through alliant 105% LTV 2.24% 72 months this morning, high credit score 810+, low debt.

Now I have to convince the wife about a full paint protection wrap @$8200.00, country financial quoted $800/year for insurance with 500 deductible which was also below what it was in may before I decided to buy the mx100.

And approved through alliant 105% LTV 2.24% 72 months this morning, high credit score 810+, low debt.

Now I have to convince the wife about a full paint protection wrap @$8200.00, country financial quoted $800/year for insurance with 500 deductible which was also below what it was in may before I decided to buy the mx100.

What state? I was quoted 3.49% for 72 months. 810+ credit as well....