Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloygators with Aero Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Alloygators interfere with Aero Wheel Covers? I only use the covers for road trips. I know Alloygators will work with the wheels when the covers are off. I want to continue to use the covers for road trips if I install the Alloygators.

Unsure but I doubt they will fit, since they are installed right at the lip of the wheel and the cover likely uses that same area for a friction/pressure fit.

IMO Alloygators or Wheelbands can do more damage than good since gunk builds up underneath them and can scratch or permanently discolor the wheel. Plus, the torque on these cars is insane. The risk of a band flying off at high torque or speed could result in a lot of paint damage.

Since there are parking sensors all around, I elected to skip wheel protection with my 3 and just get some wider tires with a good sidewall (275s).

I've used wheel bands for 4+ years (4 on an S and now on a 3) and never had a problem, other than losing one in a car wash once (yes, I wash my car in a car wash).

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 895
Don't waste your money on Alloygators or any other rim protectors. I've had all of them on my S and none stand up to a curb. I did a post on how the Alloygators failed the first time I rubbed a curb. The came partially off, looked like crap, and I still ended up with curb rash.
I have them on my S and they have saved my wheels. Your post didn't answer my question.

IMO Alloygators or Wheelbands can do more damage than good since gunk builds up underneath them and can scratch or permanently discolor the wheel. Plus, the torque on these cars is insane. The risk of a band flying off at high torque or speed could result in a lot of paint damage.

You know this for a fact? Got proof or is this some made up BS?

You know this for a fact? Got proof or is this some made up BS?

My proof is only based on personal experience with both of these brands on my last vehicle. I tried 2 other brands as well and none of them lasted more than a 5-6 months before dislodging at the join and flapping around while driving. That was on a car with far less torque, so I'd be skeptical it would be any better with a 3.

Also, the issue with grime getting stuck and etching/corroding the edge of every wheel also happened with every brand I tried.

It isn't 'some made up BS', it's just advice. Unless you plan to uninstall/reinstall these with every wash, they will damage your wheel paint over time and simply aren't worth the effort even as a simple cosmetic upgrade (yep, they offer zero real protection against curb rash unless you barely brush the curb).

Hi everybody

I have installed ALLOYGATOR on my TM3 LR with the aerowheel cover through an approved fitter of the a Manufacturer.

They fit perfectly and give a true strong protection of the wheels.

Only 600 km but with various roads ,acceleration and speed ,
Highways ( Tested up to 130mph) ,city and country , with dynamic drive

Til now , no problem

I am fully satisfied