Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dronus posted this in the M3Highland Tips section.

"Interesting article in reference to aero wheel covers."

Got me thinking again about the aero covers I removed from my 22 Y shortly after delivery.
All 4 are identical so I can't see how they would actually work - the covers on the 2 sides of the car would be counter to each other and presumably negate the positive effect one side might have?
What have I missed?

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpeg
    IMG_3454.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3455.jpeg
    IMG_3455.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 16
From another part of the forum

The primary mechanism, for the increased efficiency from the Gemini caps, is the high pressure air within the wheel well gets blocked from escaping through the wheel. When the air passes through the wheel spokes it causes drag on the wheels turning. This is independent of the air passing outside the wheel.

The secondary cause for the increased efficiency is a smooth surface for air going around the wheel on the outside. The differences in optimal flow, due to the same cap being used on both sides of the car, is inconsequential and not worth the logistics and usage pain of having directional caps or wheels. Note that most Tesla wheel designs appear to have a "correct" direction but in reality are used on both sides of the car. Tesla makes no directional wheels or caps.

Thank you for the explanation.

So my plan is to continue to drive urban w/o covers for the aesthetics and with covers for road trips for the (small) extended range.

Also continuing to carry the spare wheel for long trips but removing it when home. Old, so belt and braces.

I was going to do that. However, the tyres on the model y are not "fat" or wide enough. This means i scratch the wheels even when ultra careful. So i just put a larger OEM looking one from tessories that covers the whole rim

They prob all come from the same place so take your pick.