Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my biggest blunders. Yesterday I set a bracket order to sell SCTY that was acquired when my naked put went under water. Somehow in the last 20 minutes it touch the $29.80 bottom price and my 10,000 shares were all sold in a hurry! The primary goal of selling it is getting the buying power back.

Now I am looking at $40k difference just in 2 trading hours??:confused: The only consolation I have is some Nov calls I left. Those I don't need to bother as they don't take much buying power. What a flop! Good that my TSLA ship is doing well.

Ouch Kevin, I've made the same sorts of mistakes. I don't even want to do your math at the closing price. Seems everytime I make a stop loss order or sell limit order, I regret it.

Nice gain on SCTY. I didnt get in because i wanted to keep a small pile of cash in case of market pull back with taper and Syria. Looks like i made the wrong call :(

Looks like SOL did the stop loss bounce down today. I would expect it to see if slowly recover over the next few days.

Last edited:
Nice gain on SCTY. I didnt get in because i wanted to keep a small pile of cash in case of market pull back with taper and Syria. Looks like i made the wrong call :(

Looks like SOL sis the stop loss bounce down today. I would expect it to see if slowly recover over the next few days.

Same here mainly. I got greedy and wanted 28 to get in big. Something told me to dump a load of cash standing by into it yesterday but hey, if we could predict the future we'd be trillionaires.

Well, sadly I was talked out of doing this play by my broker. I would have been a very happy camper today... oh well, such is life!

Oh man, you can't ask for second opinion on these kinds of trades. It's really mainly gambling unless you really are that ahead of the market like many of us here on TSLA were months ago. You know this asset better than a broker does - you need to act on your own and be true to yourself on it.

One of my biggest blunders. Yesterday I set a bracket order to sell SCTY that was acquired when my naked put went under water. Somehow in the last 20 minutes it touch the $29.80 bottom price and my 10,000 shares were all sold in a hurry! The primary goal of selling it is getting the buying power back.

Now I am looking at $40k difference just in 2 trading hours??:confused: The only consolation I have is some Nov calls I left. Those I don't need to bother as they don't take much buying power. What a flop! Good that my TSLA ship is doing well.

Sorry, kevin, can you just quickly explain what happened? You sold a put when the price was higher, the price fell and you got assigned the shares, you sold the shares using at stop loss order, and now the price is high again? Is that what happened?

For me, I swapped 1000 shares out for 5 call options at 29.70 to meet a margin call. I thought I'd have a chance to open a larger position around 27. Live and learn. Maybe now that I'm getting some more money I'll back off my margin so that I can hold a position like this without getting a call so quickly.

Sorry, kevin, can you just quickly explain what happened? You sold a put when the price was higher, the price fell and you got assigned the shares, you sold the shares using at stop loss order, and now the price is high again? Is that what happened?

For me, I swapped 1000 shares out for 5 call options at 29.70 to meet a margin call. I thought I'd have a chance to open a larger position around 27. Live and learn. Maybe now that I'm getting some more money I'll back off my margin so that I can hold a position like this without getting a call so quickly.

When dealing with high speculation assets it's always best to leave some margin cushion. Granted SCTY fell big, quickly. But always leave some decent padding to absorb an instant 20% drop. More if options are in play.

This is the third time I have bought options in SCTY the day before a 20%+ increase. My odds must be a million to one. I bought options that expired about 6 weeks out the day before goldman sachs signed that 500m funding and the price did 25% or 26%. Incredible. This time they were November options, but still good for 110% and I bought a small amount of September 21st calls around 830 PST that went up 150% (I sold 40% by EOD). I also have shares in my trade account and IRA around 29 and 34 that I won't be touching for years. I expect the other solars to run up over the next 3 weeks too I specifically bet on CSIQ and SPWR.

I think I am still down overall but SCTY erased most of my losses for the year. Wish I would of doubled down on my original 25 call contracts. I decided on 10 33 March leaps to go with the Jan leaps I was holding that were down about 80 percent. I am still down(In SCTY) but erased most of the losses today.

Hey guys, got a question:

I live in an HOA and our bylaws for solar panels are basically taken from the state laws. Ive been told the south side of the roof is the best, but thats not allowed if its the front of your house, which it is for me. So i wouldnt be able to get them. can our HOA change it? It doesnt seem right that the state would control how I should put panels on my roof.....

Yes you got it right. That is exactly what happened.

I usually have the discipline to make sure things like this does not happen. I touch SPWR and SCTY in the last month without much knowledge. It was the trading discipline save me from losing big. I did bought equivalent amount of calls of SCTY before exiting in shares so not all is lost. Still missing a day in the entire month makes me feel like a fool.

Lately I trade mostly in options so I am pretty rusty with shares. the fact I concentrated so much on TSLA does not help me either to read the price movement of SCTY. I put in the bracket order just to get the hell out of it to reclaim the buying power. Too careless.

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch Kevin, I've made the same sorts of mistakes. I don't even want to do your math at the closing price. Seems everytime I make a stop loss order or sell limit order, I regret it.

By comparison, I think option trading is a bit simpler, as one end of trade usually either expire worthless or the time clock dictates the trade. Direct Shares seems simple, but the lack of structure gives too much room for improvisations and mistakes.

How do you guys the impact will be on SOL if China removed the tax they have on REC and others for polysilicon? It`s currently 57% but it wont last forever. SOL gained alot when that happened since they have their own supply of polysilicon. I know alot of insiders are buying into REC atm, thou that happens quite often aswell.

WOW. Sol Down big today! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...pricing-of-70-million-offering-223287141.html

Last edited: