Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When this forum is quiet, it is a good time to buy. When there is a lot of action, it means the stocks are performing and everyone comes here to discuss all the money we are making! Not a terrible contrarian indicator... I have been long CSIQ and SPWR and SCTY since June, and grabbed some Jan '15 calls on CSIQ and SPWR back in mid-December. I sure wouldn't mind if 2014 is a repeat of 2013!

The growth rate for 2014 is going to be higher than 2013 for Solar, so the stocks could perform similar to or better than 2013, however I will be happy with a 2 to 3 bagger this year for the average solar stock.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-pledges-further-support-solar-092829724.html

is this old news? seems like they are starting to push real consolidation within the industry... implications of this?

That Reuters article says:

China pledged further support support for its ailing solar power industry on Saturday as the government seeks to revive a sector struggling with with overcapacity and falling prices....

The State Council, in a statement published on its website, said the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology was taking measures to "promote the healthy development of the photovoltaic industry".

Still, Chinese solar equipment producers LDK Solar Co Ltd and JA Solar Holdings Co Ltd are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.
My broker sent me the article this morning, dated 01/04/2014 04:28 AM EST. But the day before, all the Chinese solar stocks went up except JASO and LDK, which went down.

My questions:

1) Was the market reacting to the Chinese website or to the Reuters article about it? (Was the article sent to the big boys a day before us retail suckers got it?)

2) Did the Chinese website say JASO is teetering on bankruptcy, or is that a Reuters addition? (The former seems unlikely.)

3) Is it true that JASO is teetering on bankruptcy? Sleepy, have you seen new evidence to change your mind?

My broker sent me the article this morning, dated 01/04/2014 04:28 AM EST. But the day before, all the Chinese solar stocks went up except JASO and LDK, which went down.

My questions:

1) Was the market reacting to the Chinese website or to the Reuters article about it? (Was the article sent to the big boys a day before us retail suckers got it?)

2) Did the Chinese website say JASO is teetering on bankruptcy, or is that a Reuters addition? (The former seems unlikely.)

3) Is it true that JASO is teetering on bankruptcy? Sleepy, have you seen new evidence to change your mind?

Good points! Very intrested to hear what sleepy and the other pros think about this, especially your question number 3

My questions:

The only way #3 could be true would be illegal accounting reporting. We have access to financials and you can see they are not going bankrupt:

http://investors.jasolar.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=208005&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1880102&highlight=

There is no way to put this politely, but the author of this article is either clueless, an idiot, or purposely misleading people. Either way I would fire him, because he is really bad at his job. How can you write for Reuters and not even fact check what you write? Now business insider used that exact same sentence in its article ( not sure that if they are related to Reuters)

JASO has by far the best balance sheet out of all Chinese solar companies (CSIQ included) and is the main reason I invest in them.

I have read a while ago an article by some big news outlet (Reuters, Bloomberg, or someone similar) that lumped JASO together with LDK and YGE as companies with huge debt loads.

The media is clueless and this is probably a good reason why JASO has been lagging in 2013. This is also great news because I have been loading up on JASO at a discount thanks to this FUD. Once the truth comes out, I am going to make a lot of money.

I think JASO presents the best risk/reward in the Chinese solar industry right now. Least risk for sure, but still has potential to outperform everyone.

Look at the balance sheets of the companies and it is clear that JASO's is the best. Only takes 10 minutes.

I agree. With an influx of 2014 cash into one of my retirement accounts I will be looking for some additional JASO bargain hunting tomorrow as this news will likely drive the price lower.

Do any of you guys have any credible 2014 EPS growth data on the Chinese Solars? I have seen 250% +/- for JKS in articles but various financial sites I have checked doesn't match this claim or is simply blank for EPS growth. I know it's going to be high for solars in general this year, but any good data would be great.

As far as JASO is concerned, I am principally staying away from any Chinese company that is not profitable at the moment. With Chinese companies, particularly Solar I don't have the confidence (of going in big) as there can be negative surprises. If I miss out on some gains, so be it. I can always buy once they are in the black.

Do any of you guys have any credible 2014 EPS growth data on the Chinese Solars? I have seen 250% +/- for JKS in articles but various financial sites I have checked doesn't match this claim or is simply blank for EPS growth. I know it's going to be high for solars in general this year, but any good data would be great.

It is really hard to tell but CSIQ and JKS in the $4-$6 EPS range and JASO and TSL $1-$3 range seem like very reasonable targets as of today. JASO is the biggest unknown of those 4 and it is possible that I am too optimistic, but I am sticking to my predictions and placing bets accordingly.

Everyone else is a crap shoot.

Remember that by mid 2014 we will be looking at 2015 EPS estimates. If everything goes as planned, those could be rather huge. Then again, there could be a rush to build out capacity, poly shortage, or other risk that could cause the stock prices to plummet. You really have to spend an inordinate amount of time researching this industry if you do not want to be left holding the bag. Investing in solar is not for everyone.

From he article:
"
He pointed out that they expect the biggest growth in the Chinese market, but that the American, Japanese and Southeast Asia markets should also not be ignored. So, what is their strategy for the Chinese market? Most of the analysts and market insiders would say the distributed model, but not Qu.

“At this moment, distributed network is just a sign of future direction. We will continue to make money through solar farms, because there are still too many difficulties with distributed network, and it will take a lot of effort until that market is fully functional,” explains Qu, who sees the biggest problems with distributed network in payment for the services and proprietary rights.

“Solar farms are simple. You build it and sign a contract with the electric company, and that is it. With distributed network you have problems with payment, because you are dealing with individual consumers. Further, you have problems with proprietary rights. That is, you need to sign an agreement with every landlord in the area. There should be some kind of platform like, let us say, PayPal to solve these problems. I really do not see any company that could overcome these problems in the near future,” says the CEO, who hopes that China will learn from the American or Japanese markets.
"

A founder of PayPal is Chairman of SCTY with the business model he thinks is currently too hard and too hmmm what ? Long term and tedious. I really like the CSIQ, but it clearly isn't SCTY which I like even better.

Disclosure (I'm long both plus SPWR , all in very strong equal portions for a 3 legged stool in solar)

Today might be the day I exit most of my SOL positions.

Yea i was thinking about that too, i doubled down when it went below 3 as I thought it was just undervalued no matter how unreliable management etc is. I am now thinking about exiting this position as they are by far the biggest uncertainty within my portfolio. Maybe try to hit the high of the day and swing the money over to JASO or something else... what do you guys recommend?

Yea i was thinking about that too, i doubled down when it went below 3 as I thought it was just undervalued no matter how unreliable management etc is. I am now thinking about exiting this position as they are by far the biggest uncertainty within my portfolio. Maybe try to hit the high of the day and swing the money over to JASO or something else... what do you guys recommend?

Contemplating the same as you guys.

Might dump my April/14 options and keep my stock with a tight stop loss order in case it keeps running.

Don't like using stop losses, but I am a little overweight in SOL as I added when they dropped.