Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just checking 'short interest' on a number of stocks we discuss here. JASO is close to 70%. ER can't come soon enough for Sleepy on this one.

https://research.tdameritrade.com/g...overview&display=&fromSearch=true&symbol=JASO

Even though your link says 68% short, short squeeze says that short interest is just 16%. I'd be a little cautious on interpreting the 68% as a guarantee it will go up (I do have jaso leaps, though, for what it's worth). On monday, if i remember, i'll check with fidelity as to what the cost to short jaso is... I think that might give us a better idea of what the short interest is as they can sometimes be correlated.

Even though your link says 68% short, short squeeze says that short interest is just 16%. I'd be a little cautious on interpreting the 68% as a guarantee it will go up (I do have jaso leaps, though, for what it's worth). On monday, if i remember, i'll check with fidelity as to what the cost to short jaso is... I think that might give us a better idea of what the short interest is as they can sometimes be correlated.

Thanks. It did seem strange to see that high a short interest. Will be curious to see what you find out. Al

Thanks. It did seem strange to see that high a short interest. Will be curious to see what you find out. Al

Google finance says there are only 8 million shares outstanding, this is a glitch (just like the time it said SCTY market cap was over 1 trillion :redface:) I bet this is where the 70% SI was derived from. Bloomberg says 43 million shares, JASO:NASDAQ GS Stock Quote - JA Solar Holdings Co Ltd - Bloomberg

I got really excited when I saw your post, so I checked it out. Appears short interest is closer to 10% unfortunately.

Google finance says there are only 8 million shares outstanding, this is a glitch (just like the time it said SCTY market cap was over 1 trillion :redface:) I bet this is where the 70% SI was derived from. Bloomberg says 43 million shares, JASO:NASDAQ GS Stock Quote - JA Solar Holdings Co Ltd - Bloomberg

I got really excited when I saw your post, so I checked it out. Appears short interest is closer to 10% unfortunately.

Dang........I was ready to start buying JASO calls first thing Monday morning. I admit, 70% short, even from a fairly reputable place like TDAmeritrade site seemed a bit strange. Thanks for the updated info.

Sorry to all if I caused a moment of delight/confusion.

What I've learned in the Q&A sessions the last couple of days in Munich, Amsterdam and Norway is that Tesla will be focusing more and more on energy storage and not only limited to the US.
They feel nothing for the vehicle to grid idea, too risky.
But standalone battery storage solutions is the way to go for them

6:45 and 16:30 mins in Elon and JB talk about storage as a product by end of the year, including the European market :

The TSLA+SCTY combo will be an undeniable force going forward

http://www.solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Google finance also shows JASO at a $70m market cap. If JASO had 70% short interest and $70m market cap then I would sell my house and everything I have and live in a box to load up on JASO.

As it stands though JASO is about a $400m market cap and has 10% of outstanding shares sold short. It is impossible to tell what the percentage of float is because it trades as ADR shares on US, as well as on other exchanges. So the percentage of float is at least 10% but hard to gauge how much exactly (probably 15% - 20%).

JASO is not a sure fire play like when I was selling you guys on CSIQ at $10-$20. JASO will probably make it, but it isn't a slam dunk case. Those of you that are buying short term options (Feb, March) are probably going to get burned. JASO is my long-term play on solar, and even as a shareholder I have a great incentive to keep the stock price low to avoid dilution via warrants exercise; at least until the middle of May.

That is not to say that JASO will be weak through May, but if there is no great announcement or ER then it probably will stay weak until then, because it is easy for market makers to manipulate this stock and they have an incentive to do so.

I bought into JASO a little early, but I would rather be early than late. Because you will never know if you are 1 week early, 1 month or early, or 6 months early, etc. until after the fact.

added to SPWR J16 $40 LEAPS on this significant dip;

Also, a very rare weeklies play for me, - Feb14 Calls at $34 averaged in below SPWR $30 level- market and solar in one of those exuberantly crazy stages right now

Why did SPWR drop the most? Make no sense at all.

Was wondering he same, but couldn't find any reason. They would generally be less susceptible to emerging markets etc and have one of the more stable market and business plans. But they dropped more than the others by a long shot, so I chose them to increase my current solar holdings. Just added even more j16 $40 calls. Now holding a nice cadre spread of
J15 $40,
J16 $40, $45
and a small ER weekly play

I'm so close to breaking down just play high flyer stocks now. This WS taking a dump on solars is just getting out of control. I'm not too worried about my long positions, but my 6-month calls bought last year are going bad soon and this market is certainly helping.

/rant

Living on the mid Atlantic/Northeast all my life I have not seen many 'solar included' communities. This may be old news or common news to many of my sunny sky friends but I found it interesting/encouraging for CSIQ http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...tandard-in-new-palm-springs-ca-20140204-00081

Damn, those are very nice homes!! Original Mid-Century Modern homes are normally energy wasters. If these were in Santa Barbara (where I am) I would buy one today! Mid Century Modern is my favorite architecture. Thanks for the link, I am going to follow this builder.