Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SAN MATEO, Calif., Jan. 24, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SolarCity Corporation (Nasdaq:SCTY) , a leading provider of clean, distributed energy, today announced that it will issue its fourth quarter 2013 earnings report after the market's close on Monday, February 24, 2014. A conference call has been scheduled to discuss these results on the same day at 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Yay, solar roller coaster :)
Seemed appropriate again :scared:

Ah well, I picked up those $11 Feb 22 for .15 each. Unlikely to do anything, especially after this mornings further crash, but it wouldn't take much in the next week to triple their value. *shrug*, the roller coaster should have an up period at some point here shortly after the down days.

The only way I can ride this solar roller coaster is to fasten my seatbelt tightly and stay put in my seat (in other words, buy and hold).
Yea, I learned from my earlier mistakes, mostly. The bulk of anything I have solar is in LEAPS.

I'm basically wading around in the kiddy pool with a tiny percentage. It's more entertainment value than likely to actually make or lose much.

In the last six months, one of my portfolios started with $X and then went to:

3X, back down to 0.9X, then up to 6X, back down to 1.5X, up to 3.5X, and now today it is right around 3X.

I am sure that I have gotten a lot more gray hair than bonnie in the last 6 months because of my strategy, haha.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, some really great solar news came out of BNEF (Bloomberg) on solar yesterday afternoon:

http://about.bnef.com/press-releases/chinas-12gw-solar-market-outstripped-all-expectations-in-2013/

39GW installed in 2013 and 12GW - 14GW in China alone!

Then you have a FUD article from Reuters:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/us-china-solar-idUKBREA0M1VJ20140123

In it they say China installed 8GW (while Bloomberg has 14GW possible) and they use a whole bunch of quotes pulled out of context to spew FUD.]

It is your choice who you want to believe: a FUD Analyst or actual data.

Great buying opportunity in solar today. The only risk I see is a general market correction, but solar stocks have a mind of their own so you never know how they will do the next day let alone next month.

Didn't the EU news trigger the slide ? I am considering loading up some more CSIQ common stock at these levels.

Solar stocks sink after EU proposes renewable target change
Shares of solar energy companies are declining after a commission for the European Union proposed changes in the bloc's alternative energy target. WHAT'S NEW: The European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, proposed ending a requirement that each country produce a certain amount of renewable energy after 2020, The New York Times stated. Instead, it proposed that a renewable energy goal for the entire EU be set, the newspaper added. The proposal must still be approved by member states and the European Parliament, according to the newspaper. PRICE ACTION: In late morning trading, First Solar (FSLR) sank 3.5% to $50.15, SunPower (SPWR) retreated 4% to $32.90, Canadian Solar (CSIQ) fell 3.8% to $41.15, and Yingli Green (YGE) retreated 6.2% to $6.40.

The EU targets are bad. But nobody expected them to be this good after the recent leaks. If EU was the reason then we would have seen a big selloff on Wednesday. The media always try to find a reason for why stocks fo up or down. But the EU market is so small that this is a non-issue. Actually the sector believes that the targets could be reached regardless of the EU decision. Also the 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emission is great for EVs and Tesla, but you don't see any news on that.

Didn't the EU news trigger the slide ? I am considering loading up some more CSIQ common stock at these levels.

Solar stocks sink after EU proposes renewable target change
Shares of solar energy companies are declining after a commission for the European Union proposed changes in the bloc's alternative energy target. WHAT'S NEW: The European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, proposed ending a requirement that each country produce a certain amount of renewable energy after 2020, The New York Times stated. Instead, it proposed that a renewable energy goal for the entire EU be set, the newspaper added. The proposal must still be approved by member states and the European Parliament, according to the newspaper. PRICE ACTION: In late morning trading, First Solar (FSLR) sank 3.5% to $50.15, SunPower (SPWR) retreated 4% to $32.90, Canadian Solar (CSIQ) fell 3.8% to $41.15, and Yingli Green (YGE) retreated 6.2% to $6.40.

The media is clueless on solar and they make up stories that sort of become self-fulfilling prophecies. That is why their is so much FUD out there, because it works.

The reason for the slide yesterday was due to the SEC Fraud Investigation article. It reminded people that all Chinese companies are risky and all US-listed Chinese stocks sold of yesterday, and not just solar.

Today's decline is just a continuation of the FUD cycle.

BTW, Europe could go to 0GW of solar installations and there would still be plenty of global demand for solar. The EU is not that important of a market right now; it has very high ASP's for Chinese players, but there is plenty of demand that will be coming on-line in the Middle East, Africa, and other emerging market regions.

The reason for the slide yesterday was due to the SEC Fraud Investigation article. It reminded people that all Chinese companies are risky and all US-listed Chinese stocks sold of yesterday, and not just solar.

Cramer has a good segment on yesterday's Mad Money. You can view the intro segment here (watch about the first 5 minutes, it's well worth it): Cramer: First crisis of the year .

He basically is saying that concern over China (and possible default of one of its high-yield trust investment products) sparked yesterday's sell-off and it'll likely continue to today with companies that are exposed to China being hit the hardest.

-450 points in two days. That's not the correction people are looking for? Economic data from china wasn't thrilling, but europe came in better than expected. I've been snooping around Jaso without making any purchases for a while. Today I took in leaps, 9 strike, march calls 8 strike (Wow 1 dollar cost???? that's only 25 cents time premium with jaso at 8.75) and 2000 shares.
What prompted me to do that was the two large spikes up, which pushed the price up by 25 cents in about 3 seconds. Its someone testing liquidity or making larger purchases. I think the selling of chinese companies is a tad bit over done- mostly because of yesterday's SEC ruling and then 1-2 punch of today's 250 point decline in the market.

Edit. Ok i might be being stupid buying a chinese company going into this chinese credit crisis. Perhaps those 8 strike options are pretty good then- max loss is 100 dollars per contract if china goes under.

Last edited:
Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread)

Wow Jaso has some nice options today! JKS still has some high premiums. Bought some Feb. 22 10 calls of JASO at $.23 feels pretty good, Pretty much went on a buying spree on CSIQ, KNDI, JKS, JASO today. All are pretty out of or on the edge of their 20 day Price channel!!! So techicals look pretty good too!

I bought the exact same JASO calls but for 24 cents. Not very many though, sold off my failed SOL calls for them. Yeah, I know I should have sold them earlier, I just....didn't.

Also bought a good chunk of SPWR LEAPs. Went fairly ITM though, got 20s for 13.50, very little premium there but about twice my leverage for money.

Last edited:
Also bought a good chunk of SPWR LEAPs. Went fairly ITM though, got 20s for 13.50, very little premium there but about my leverage for money.

I think SPWR wil do some outperforming this year as a catchup - I'm holding J15 $40s and J16 $45s - a little worried those strikes are lofty though so may move them down after ER coming up if it doesn't pop

@FluxCap - agree, one of the biggest market over reactions I've seen in a while; great buying ops for growth stocks -TSLA-Solar- Apple etc. imo that will see little effect from emerging market currency issues