Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative license plate mounts for 2021 refresh Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hotsoup

Is that my bestie in a tessie??
Jul 28, 2021
Seattle
Anyone have experience with alternative removable front license plate mounts for the refreshed 2021 Model S? Specifically looking for feedback on the SnapPlate which seems to be the only option for now, but curious if there are other options out there. The mounting on the grill plastic seems iffy to me but would like to see what the real-world experiences have been like.

Reactions: impastu
Anyone have experience with alternative removable front license plate mounts for the refreshed 2021 Model S? Specifically looking for feedback on the SnapPlate which seems to be the only option for now, but curious if there are other options out there. The mounting on the grill plastic seems iffy to me but would like to see what the real-world experiences have been like.
I ordered SnapPlate.

Reactions: hotsoup
Reporting back, wanted to share some learnings:
  1. An adjustable spanner works really well for removing the weird star-shaped screws. I see a lot of recommendations using needle-nose pliers, but I think the wrench poses a lower risk of scratching up that front plate.
  2. Hair dryer doesn't work - or will take forever. What worked really well for me is the "floss" method. Take a string, some gloves, and start sawing at the adhesive while pulling the string towards you. Worked like a charm, but was pretty laborious to get the leftover adhesive off the mount.
  3. The SnapPlate is awesome. Very easy to take on/off, 3 options on how high you want to mount the license plate, and an optional break-away mount. Have yet to test durability.

• Informative
Reporting back, wanted to share some learnings:
  1. An adjustable spanner works really well for removing the weird star-shaped screws. I see a lot of recommendations using needle-nose pliers, but I think the wrench poses a lower risk of scratching up that front plate.
  2. Hair dryer doesn't work - or will take forever. What worked really well for me is the "floss" method. Take a string, some gloves, and start sawing at the adhesive while pulling the string towards you. Worked like a charm, but was pretty laborious to get the leftover adhesive off the mount.
  3. The SnapPlate is awesome. Very easy to take on/off, 3 options on how high you want to mount the license plate, and an optional break-away mount. Have yet to test durability.

Thanks for that info! Fancy helping me remove mine? :)

Hated how the front license plate holder looked on my 2021 S and had a high end body shop remove it yesterday. They said it can be a little tricky but they got mine off with little trouble and no affect on the paint. I love how it looks now!!!!

Thanks for that info! Fancy helping me remove mine? :)
Something something liability :). But seriously, if I can do it, anybody can do it. It's super easy. Just get any durable string that can fit in the gap behind and floss.

The SnapPlate inventor actually has a pretty good walkthrough - here's a link starting from the screw removal part:
. One thing is that he uses a heat gun in the end because his floss breaks, but just get a string that won't break as easily and you're good. The heat gun method is so much more time consuming, messy, and nerve-wracking.

String I used, random thing I found in my utility closet:
1631291882689.png

Used De-Solv-It to remove adhesive residue, no impact on paint:
1631291825138.png

SnapPlate:
1631291843206.png

• Informative
Something something liability :). But seriously, if I can do it, anybody can do it. It's super easy. Just get any durable string that can fit in the gap behind and floss.

The SnapPlate inventor actually has a pretty good walkthrough - here's a link starting from the screw removal part:
. One thing is that he uses a heat gun in the end because his floss breaks, but just get a string that won't break as easily and you're good. The heat gun method is so much more time consuming, messy, and nerve-wracking.

String I used, random thing I found in my utility closet:
View attachment 707548

Used De-Solv-It to remove adhesive residue, no impact on paint:
View attachment 707546

SnapPlate:
View attachment 707547
Thanks for the pics. I’ll just mess it up. But that’s fine. I rarely look at the front anyway. 🤣