Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to expensive carbon fiber accessories - Real Carbon Fiber Wrap by 3M

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really would love to pick up those slick looking Carbon Fiber side vents made by Tesla but like others can't see dropping $1500 + tax for them.

I did some searching today and found a really good alternative, a real carbon fiber wrap by 3M. Here's a picture of a wrap someone did on some GTO covers:
http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/f41/7237d1271846640-3m-carbon-fiber-wrap-picture-004.jpg

I called a company called HDsalon in San Jose California and they said they'd do both my vents for $250 if I pull them off.

HD Auto Salon
Here's the Yelp page, great reviews:
HD Auto Salon - San Jose, CA

Sounds good. They said it will have to be a two piece design to give it the cleanest look but I should not be able to see the seams.

Sounds like a great alternative.

This also means you can do the wrap on other inside/outside components of the car.

Last edited:
Really would love to pick up those slick looking Carbon Fiber side vents made by Tesla but like others can't see dropping $1500 + tax for them.

I did some searching today and found a really good alternative, a real carbon fiber wrap by 3M. Here's a picture of a wrap someone did on some GTO covers:
http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/f41/7237d1271846640-3m-carbon-fiber-wrap-picture-004.jpg

Let me know how it goes. I wrapped some of my parts with 3M Carbon Fiber wrap, but I think it was a different material. After wrapping the door sills still sucked due to the cheap materials they were made with so the cracks show through the wrap, and the wrap outside shows some marks from the weather.

I've taken up making my own CF pieces from scratch since I didn't want to spend the large amount of money Tesla wants. I'm on the mould making process right now.

P.S. Please take pictures of how to get the vents out. I want to make these soon.

IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0983.jpg

Last edited:
Cool on making the CF mold! I was thinking about that for the vents... but after seeing the wrap and how it looked pretty darn good and reasonable. Thanks for posting the pics, looking great so far. I think the hardest part of the CF is the gloss / finish coat. Keep us posted on your progress.

Will let you know and take pics if I move forward with the wrap job.

Also HDsalon indicated there's a higher quality wrap which they'll use on the vents which deal with weathering better... he said they can turn yellow if you don't use the quality stuff that's made to withstand the elements.

I know my original sill was flimsy, drivers side cracked. Hence why I dropped $1500 for Tesla CF sills which I'm totally happy I did... although I do think they're still way overpriced. They feel way more sturdier, I can put all my weight on them getting in and out of the Roadster and don't have to worry about cracking or breaking them. They also fit the inside scheme of 1.5 since the console is CF as well. I don't want to go overboard on the CF though... To me its like chrome, and you can definitely over-chrome things too in my opinion. But that's just a personal preference... just like adding pepper to your food.

Last edited:
They look awsome! Let me know how the side vents turn out. I'm waiting to see how jbadger's home grown pieces work out so I can pimp my ride! Is there any other way without wrapping? I guess that's why the above mold would be nice, correct?

I completely stopped due to two factors. The first being the amount of work I've got right now and the second being that I need a well ventilated area. For obvious reasons, my apartment is not the place to being making things with strong chemicals.

Here is where I stopped.

IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1053.jpg

While not the quality of something I would buy (at the moment), I believe I can make them work and look descent if I get a chance to finish them up.

Not bad looking and great progress!

Have you looked at the factory CF sills? They have in the front like a black matte / even a silver finish to break up that odd line of the VMS/Instrument panel to sill transition. I think subtly breaking that straight CF line in the front looks better. I was looking at both style sills when I bought mine. Went for the Tesla ones for that reason and had to have the silver transition part wrapped in matte black finish. Didn't like the silver, looked cheap. I could have painted the silver as well.

Not bad looking and great progress!

Have you looked at the factory CF sills? They have in the front like a black matte / even a silver finish to break up that odd line of the VMS/Instrument panel to sill transition. I think subtly breaking that straight CF line in the front looks better. I was looking at both style sills when I bought mine. Went for the Tesla ones for that reason and had to have the silver transition part wrapped in matte black finish. Didn't like the silver, looked cheap. I could have painted the silver as well.

While I haven't seen them in person, I have looked at the photos online. It's an extra complexity to add the metal / plastic piece. My end goal will be to replace the upper door sills as well in which case I wouldn't want it to break up the way the Tesla ones do.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it looks really good given it's your prototype! Can't wait to see the finished product. On my 1.5 there was no plastic - it was all sill. On my 2.5 it has the plastic which I guess is there to protect against our shoes that constantly hit that area:) keep it up and let me know when your ready to take orders.

Jbadger, wiztecy, the TechShop in San Jose is the place to do this project. They have all the equipment we need, including injection molding, vacuum stations, a car hoist, all kinds of automotive tools, machining etc.

TechShop is America's 1st Nationwide Open-Access Public Workshop -- What Do You Want To Make at TechShop?

It is $175 for a month, a pretty small price considering the amazing equipment they have.
If you are interested, we can go check it out.

I had a membership for a month. I cancelled once I found out that they do not allow you to cut carbon fiber as it requires everyone in the area to wear a respirator. The workshop is also not ventilated so we would have to work outside. Lastly, due to the amount of time it takes in between steps it got a bit boring by myself.

If you two are interested I wouldn't mind signing up again but we would have to cut the CF elsewhere. Honestly, an open garage will suit most of the requirements we need. However, the 3D scanner/printer and injection molding could come in handy for certain things but I believe it is quite costly.