Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM - FM Accessory radio ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poking around the parts catalogue, and found this
radio.jpg

I still can't believe why Tesla is not including AM radio. It's still useful...
While I am sure there are a handful of people that listen to AM, I cannot imagine many do. I haven't hit an AM band in probably 15 years. Even FM probably has much less use than years ago. With streaming, USB/BT media, and on demand options, I see FM taking a few more years, but it is likely going to disappear someday in the future too.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
While I am sure there are a handful of people that listen to AM, I cannot imagine many do. I haven't hit an AM band in probably 15 years. Even FM probably has much less use than years ago. With streaming, USB/BT media, and on demand options, I see FM taking a few more years, but it is likely going to disappear someday in the future too.
Dependence on cellular service for everything seems unwise. Emergency low power informational stations on AM are not accessible, some with lights that say "Tune to xxxx AM if flashing."

That said, we've lived without AM or XM in the three for 2-1/2 years. Just had to get used to streaming stations stopping for no reason, even in areas of 5 LTE bars. We just sold our MS that had AM/FM/XM and I really miss XM on road trips, but we stopped using the MS on road trips in favor of the M3. So it's one of those things I grumble about but not a deal killer. AM is omitted in part due to all the RF noise EVs make, but I have no idea why XM was eliminated in the 3 and Y.

Reactions: shanman123
Dependence on cellular service for everything seems unwise. Emergency low power informational stations on AM are not accessible, some with lights that say "Tune to xxxx AM if flashing."

That said, we've lived without AM or XM in the three for 2-1/2 years. Just had to get used to streaming stations stopping for no reason, even in areas of 5 LTE bars. We just sold our MS that had AM/FM/XM and I really miss XM on road trips, but we stopped using the MS on road trips in favor of the M3. So it's one of those things I grumble about but not a deal killer. AM is omitted in part due to all the RF noise EVs make, but I have no idea why XM was eliminated in the 3 and Y.
Well at least XM is an app, and be used via BT