Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM Radio Having Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New problem started 3 days ago. The FM station I listen to for traffic started having caching issue. It works for awhile the starts acting up. The play arrow will often become a spinning wheel. When the voice starts coming through again it will often repeat a sentence twice. It's not a station strength issue, it happens from Santa Monica to Ontario (through the heart of the broadcast area) . Same station I always listen too, it's never done this before. Anyone else seen this issue?

IMG_8586.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8586.JPG
    IMG_8586.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That is not the FM radio you are listening to but the TuneIn stream of KNX 97.1 FM. Might be something with the stations stream.
I wondered the same, but it’s a major Los Angeles radio station. Can’t imagine the issue going on for three days.

You did answer something I’ve been wondering. NONE of the radio stations are being received via an old fashion over the air transmission?

I wondered the same, but it’s a major Los Angeles radio station. Can’t imagine the issue going on for three days.

You did answer something I’ve been wondering. NONE of the radio stations are being received via an old fashion over the air transmission?
The radio stations can be received via an old fashioned over the air transmission if you use the FM radio app in the car. Look for this icon...

1702741166824.png

And you can read more on different media sources here...

OOF!! ????? My bad.
I thought all Model S and Model X cars had at least FM radio . . . some even had AM !!!
If you had it at one time, obviously a software update issue/bug.
If never, apparently there is a possibility of installing a module/antenna to get Radio Audio.
I suppose a module could go bad or get unplugged.
I imagine even a mobile tech could check fairly easily. ( from experience, being 2+ hours away from a service center can be a "challenge")

Quite a bit of hardware listed on ebay for moderate $$.

Even with all of the "modern" audio options, I listen to a lot of "old fashioned" FM . . . especially for local stuff . . . usually better than streaming their (not always available) feeds.

Let us know how it works out.

I agree. Local radio still way better than streaming services One-size-fits-all approach. Especially since I own a radio station here in the High Desert. I just bought the car and was looking forward to listening to the station while enjoying this sweet ride. The old saying holds true “mechanics car doesn’t run, baker has no bread, radio station owner has no radio” LOL. I guess I will have to go for a service apt. Grrr

I agree. Local radio still way better than streaming services One-size-fits-all approach. Especially since I own a radio station here in the High Desert. I just bought the car and was looking forward to listening to the station while enjoying this sweet ride. The old saying holds true “mechanics car doesn’t run, baker has no bread, radio station owner has no radio” LOL. I guess I will have to go for a service apt. Grrr
FYI...you are in the Model Y forum and not the Model S forum. You might find better info over there.

From any audio app, look for the settings icon
View attachment 1025436
(Upper RH corner)

In the list TONE/BALANCE/OPTIONS/SOURCES, tap sources.

Make sure the Radio slider shows "on"

View attachment 1025438 View attachment 1025439

Easy Peasy??
( P.S. Welcome to TMC! )
Great explanatory post.

Too bad it couldn't help out John. Now I have to figure out how to 'follow' John to see what the solution to his problem is, since I'm curious if the radio has been phased out because people weren't using it enough (that's how newer Y's lost their passenger seat lumbar settings.)

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
I cannot find the FM radio icon anywhere and have tried restarting. Would really like to tune into stations. I have a 2014 Model S on the latest v11.1 (2024.2.7) It does not appear in sources.
When I updated my 2013 Model S from MCU1 to MCU2 was told that I would loose AM/FM radio. I have used the TuneIn and iHeartRadio since with minimal problems. Also, as others have said, find the FM alternative station for those AM stations you want.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
That works great if you are an IHeart Station. My station is an independently owned and operated station that is not carried on Tune-in. It turns out that there is a radio tuner available from Tesla, but it is $500. I took it in for install yesterday. Price, but I need to be able to monitor my station. Ouch for the wallet. Now I am onto the steering multi-function switch and clock spring swap. Thanks for the reply.

That works great if you are an IHeart Station. My station is an independently owned and operated station that is not carried on Tune-in. It turns out that there is a radio tuner available from Tesla, but it is $500. I took it in for install yesterday. Price, but I need to be able to monitor my station. Ouch for the wallet. Now I am onto the steering multi-function switch and clock spring swap. Thanks for the reply.
And thanks for letting us know in this thread what your resolution was.

I wasn't aware that any vehicles on the road were sold without at least an FM radio so that during emergency evacuations people can get news. It is bad enough that AM receivers have been phased out.

BTW: I only own mobile phones that have enabled the FM chip so that I can use my phone as a radio (without the need for the cell or wifi antenna's to be turned on, consuming power.) Part of my emergency preparedness - it is great to have an emergency radio at home but that's useless if the tornado hits while I'm away from home or even my car (putting an emergency radio in my car is on my to-do list in order to have AM radio available if the emergency hits while I'm out with the car.)

I wonder if it was me in your position, if I could have used my phone as the radio and bluetooth connected it to the speakers? My phone allows me to play the radio over the attached headphones (which serve as the antenna), the speaker, or bluetooth. But I suspect the electronics in the car would block any stations from being picked up by my phone.