Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I able to get Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Just purchased a new construction home. Existing Enphase solar system. The solar contractor sells Powerwall and I'm told my system is compatible. What I'm trying to understand is how much work would need to be done for Powerwall, if it's even possible. Here's why I'm skeptical:

The home has a detached garage and the main service panel is in the house, but the meter and combiner are in the garage.

The solar panels are on the roof of the house but the Enphase combiner box is in the garage. Also in the garage is a service panel but there are only garage related items (garage door, GFCI outlets) on that panel. The solar "inverter output connection" is in the main service panel in the house - about 30 feet from the combiner box/garage.

On the outside of the garage is the meter and the rapid shutdown switch.

Obviously everyone's situation is different but I have not seen any posts or YouTube videos that are this spread out. It seems like the backup gateway needs to be close to the combiner and the main service panel and mine are really far away from each other. How would this work?

It's a bit odd that your meter and main panel are in different places. I have almost everything (solar, inverter/powerwalls) installed on a detached garage but then it's wired back to the main home/panel where I have the gateway and meter, through an underground conduit. That said, I'm sure an electrician can easily tell how your system is wired and it may not be that difficult to add to or modify your system.

Just about every combination can be made to work.

Post pictures of what you are talking about will be the best way to get to a solution.

There is probably only 1 service panel at your house, its the one with a meter and almost always located outside. That is where it all begins, and your home connects to the PGE grid. Other distribution panels in your house are usually subpanels.

It is possible to have multiple meters at one house but this is more rare, and does indicate multiple service panels.