Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon delivery van backed into my parked car, advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
File a claim with your insurer, as others have stated. They will approve the repair estimate and subrogate.

look - if I was advising Amazon - I’d tell them to do exactly what they’re doing. You took it to a shop and got a non-insurance repair quote. Those types of estimates are often significantly inflated.

just get your ins co. to approve the estimate and work and get it fixed. Leave all the other baggage behind. Seriously. There are bigger fish to fry.

I had added more about why people suggested I go to the media but I deleted it. Don't want to keep talking about it in the public forum. The potential media frenzy over details I haven't shared here would be interesting in the current US political landscape, and would be prime clickbait fodder. That's the last I'll say on that.

Thanks to everyone here for the guidance and feedback. Very helpful, and will file a claim with my insurance company if this isn't sorted out soon.

One last question - for those who have gone through something like this, but didn't get their own insurance involved - were you able to get rental car coverage from the third party/self-insured?

With respect, you are making this harder than it has to be. Many people have told you to just file a claim with your insurance company and yet you seem to hesitate. Why the hesitation? Is there something else you aren't telling us? You can tell us or not, it doesn't matter, but if you continue to seemingly ignore "go file a claim with your insurance company" then eventually people are just going to shut down on you.

You can get all kinds of money paid back by suing the other driver/company individually. It is very hard to get rental coverage from another insurance company on your own. I have done it in the past for a very minor and limited circumstance but given that repair on your Tesla is going to be in the multiple weeks range(likely) it would be a struggle to have them pay for it.

Can you tell us at least if you are just not planning on using your insurance for some reason? I don't care the reason, but at least that can focus the conversation appropriately.

With respect, you are making this harder than it has to be. Many people have told you to just file a claim with your insurance company and yet you seem to hesitate. Why the hesitation? Is there something else you aren't telling us? You can tell us or not, it doesn't matter, but if you continue to seemingly ignore "go file a claim with your insurance company" then eventually people are just going to shut down on you.

You can get all kinds of money paid back by suing the other driver/company individually. It is very hard to get rental coverage from another insurance company on your own. I have done it in the past for a very minor and limited circumstance but given that repair on your Tesla is going to be in the multiple weeks range(likely) it would be a struggle to have them pay for it.

Can you tell us at least if you are just not planning on using your insurance for some reason? I don't care the reason, but at least that can focus the conversation appropriately.

I think the OP covered that earlier, stating that they contacted their insurance and their insurance told them to file it through the at fault insurance company, so they were coming to the forums to gather some advice.

They have gotten a decent consensus of members here who suggested filing through ones own insurance in this situation, since going through the the at fault insurance company in this case is proving to be difficult. One vote against going through your own insurance company is from a member who appears to be a lawyer (screen name intimates such), so either can litigate themselves, or likely has access to people who could litigate this specific thing for them if desired.

I think the OP got the advice they were looking for. Not sure what they are going to choose to do, but the advice was fairly consistent among members here for a specific course of action.

Yes, we are past their insurance company saying call the other guy. Lots of people responded(including myself) to call them back and make them do their job. The OP as of post #30, still seems to be hesitating AFTER all of those comments, and I responded to their question from that post. As of their post #32, they mention again how their insurance company "was not helpful about filing a claim", to which it goes back to call them and make them do their job. If they do not want to do their job, then call the State's consumer board and complain, AND, get a new insurance company for the future.(one that will be more responsive to doing their job.

I'm just gonna add another consideration into this. If OP plans on filing a diminished value claim later on, depending on local insurance laws/regulations it might be worth going with Amazon's insurance instead of OP's own.

My car had similar damage while legally parked. I had it repaired via my own insurance, who in the process of recovering the cost from the offender's insurance via subrogation basically signed away all my rights to pursue further claims against the offender and their insurance related to the diminished value.

• Helpful
Reactions: ladysbff
Correct me if I am wrong. The driver hit you, not Amazon. If amazon wants to stand behind its employees that is great. If they don't, go after the driver for damages. File and accident report first. If you are not compensated for your loss file a hit and run report. I drove big rigs for a few decades and always carried a million dollar liability policy for cases like this. If your employer or its insurance does not stand behind you, you have to protect yourself. If your insurance won't help you out you might have to lawyer up.

Reactions: rrohde