Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Lightning for a 22 standard range model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a ambient light kit that is from lightning bug tech that is plug in play, was wondering is it really that simple to plug in play this ambient light kit for a 22 Tesla model 3 standard range plus I've heard you had to splice wires, find 12 v power source an all that, but this kit is strictly plug n play it's easy as that. Is it to good to be true? I just don't want to screw up my tesla

There is a ambient light kit that is from lightning bug tech that is plug in play, was wondering is it really that simple to plug in play this ambient light kit for a 22 Tesla model 3 standard range plus I've heard you had to splice wires, find 12 v power source an all that, but this kit is strictly plug n play it's easy as that. Is it to good to be true? I just don't want to screw up my tesla
No need to splice wires, just unplug the old lights, plug in the new. I changed mine a couple of months ago.

Upvote 0
Model 3 standard range has non-functional footwell/ambient lights. They need a power source.
If you have a 2021 SR+ like mine, they actually technically have power going to them, but are software disabled. You can see them blink on briefly during wake from sleep (as per later thread).
Tesla Model 3 2020 SR+ - Footwell Lights turning on when car wakes from sleep
As such you can buy hack modules that can enable them without any additional wiring in the car:
SR+ Ambient Lighting Kit

However, if not doing software hacks, it is true that you have to run separate power, as per posts later in first link.

To be fair, the post you are responding to seems to be from a Model Y owner, and Model Y never had the partial premium interior, so whatever works for them does not apply to a 3.

Are you talking about these? It says pretty clear you need a control box and power cables, which seems to point to needing a separate power source for that kit. As per above, without a software hack, there isn't really a practical way to reuse the old wiring.
Tesla Footwell Lights for Model3&Y (2019-2023)

Upvote 0