Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambiguous Text from Tesla...how much longer until delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this text update from Tesla: "Delivery timing update - we currently expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 2 weeks. We will provide further updates as the estimated build date gets closer."

If the car gets built within 2 weeks, how much longer should it take for it to be delivered? I'm in Tennessee, if that matters. M3SR+, black, sport wheels. Ordered on Tuesday.

I got that same text last week. This week I got a new text saying they expect it'll be "ready for delivery" in 3 - 5 weeks.
I'm not sure if that means it'll be ready for delivery from the factory (so same as "built") or ready for delivery from my designated pick-up point.

I got that same text last week. This week I got a new text saying they expect it'll be "ready for delivery" in 3 - 5 weeks.
I'm not sure if that means it'll be ready for delivery from the factory (so same as "built") or ready for delivery from my designated pick-up point.

For what it's worth, I saw your post from before and decided to make my account today to respond.

I ordered 1/28, last Thursday I received the text saying "ready for delivery in 3-5 weeks" and this week I received the "your car will be built in the next two weeks".

So I think they really are throwing darts at the wall. I will be out of town from Feb. 28- March 6 so I am hoping that delivery is not in that time period. It is looking like that won't be the case according to everyone on the forum. There is absolutely no consistency here, and it is maddening.

Best of luck to you though, I am curious about your case because it is so similar to mine (although you seem to have ordered before me).

Reactions: picklem
I just got this text update from Tesla: "Delivery timing update - we currently expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 2 weeks. We will provide further updates as the estimated build date gets closer."

If the car gets built within 2 weeks, how much longer should it take for it to be delivered? I'm in Tennessee, if that matters. M3SR+, black, sport wheels. Ordered on Tuesday.

I got the same text today. Ordered Feb 2nd. Not sure what that really means. I guess not much we can do but wait !

I've already accepted financing through Tesla and I'm prepared to get insurance as soon as I get a VIN. Hopefully that speeds up the process...

Yep, you should be I great shape. Make sure you know who to call for insurance when you go onsite. Tesla will give you a VIN and then your insurance company has to send Tesla verification of coverage, real time. Also any down payments and duh, your drivers license.

Most important, someone to come along with you to take some pictures of that grin!!!!

A few pieces of info

• Automatic driving takes time to calibrate, but even if it does, don't use it yet, get used to driving the car first
  • Don't change any of the default driving settings for at least a week. Get used to the way it drives.
  • Your car probably won't have a full charge when you pick it up. If you need one, let the Delivery Advisor know ahead of time. (i.e. you have to travel from Nashville to Knoxville)
  • Before you move, make sure that you know how to shift into forward, park and reverse
  • Set mirrors and seat position
  • Make sure that things like lights and wipers are set to auto if you may need them and know how to set them
  • Set the radio or streaming to something that you can listen to for the trip home.
  • If possible, as you drive off the Tesla lot, find a parking lot that you can practice basic driving in, before the onslaught of traffic.
  • Know where the speedometer is.
  • Set the navigation's home location and route to it. As with all nav systems, trust but verify.
The car is going to drive a little differently than you are used to. Try to get used to it in a parking lot, but in any case, especially in traffic, you will be often overwhelmed with everything, that's why you need to set everything before you drive. Most of this is recommended in any new car that you drive. I travel a lot and use rental cars, it's a practice that I try to get into.

If the Tesla delivery center is somewhat near you, go there and take a look at the cars and familiarize yourself on the area.

Lots of cars seemed to have just popped into inventory, so let's hope that yours isn't that far behind you.

Just about two years ago, a friend of ours had his Model S in for service. He texted us and said that there were a LOT of Model 3 on the lot. We jokingly texted our VIN to him and asked it was on the lot.

30 minutes later we got a text that it was. The next morning a quick email to our delivery advisor, 2 hours later a call, and at noon on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we got our car! Insurance, down payment and all that stuff had to be finalized in about 4 hours on a Friday afternoon before a long week. (much like today).

Welcome to the club!!!

Reactions: Imaginathan
Yep, you should be I great shape. Make sure you know who to call for insurance when you go onsite. Tesla will give you a VIN and then your insurance company has to send Tesla verification of coverage, real time. Also any down payments and duh, your drivers license.

Most important, someone to come along with you to take some pictures of that grin!!!!

A few pieces of info

• Automatic driving takes time to calibrate, but even if it does, don't use it yet, get used to driving the car first
  • Don't change any of the default driving settings for at least a week. Get used to the way it drives.
  • Your car probably won't have a full charge when you pick it up. If you need one, let the Delivery Advisor know ahead of time. (i.e. you have to travel from Nashville to Knoxville)
  • Before you move, make sure that you know how to shift into forward, park and reverse
  • Make sure that things like lights and wipers are set to auto if you may need them and know how to set them
  • Set the radio or streaming to something that you can listen to for the trip home.
  • If possible, as you drive off the Tesla lot, find a parking lot that you can practice basic driving in, before the onslaught of traffic.
  • Set the navigation's home location and route to it. As with all nav systems, trust but verify.
The car is going to drive a little differently than you are used to. Try to get used to it in a parking lot, but in any case, especially in traffic, you will be often overwhelmed with everything, that's why you need to set everything before you drive. Most of this is recommended in any new car that you drive. I travel a lot and use rental cars, it's a practice that I try to get into.

If the Tesla delivery center is somewhat near you, go there and take a look at the cars and familiarize yourself on the area.

Lots of cars seemed to have just popped into inventory, so let's hope that yours isn't that far behind you.

Just about two years ago, a friend of ours had his Model S in for service. He texted us and said that there were a LOT of Model 3 on the lot. We jokingly texted our VIN to him and asked it was on the lot.

30 minutes later we got a text that it was. The next morning a quick email to our delivery advisor, 2 hours later a call, and at noon on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend we got our car! Insurance, down payment and all that stuff had to be finalized in about 4 hours on a Friday afternoon before a long week. (much like today).

Welcome to the club!!!
This is a great source of information, thanks! I got to the point that you had to email and then call your SA to find your actual car on the lot before they told you and it made me sad you had to chase it :/, they really need to assess delivery process now that they are increasing in popularity

This is a great source of information, thanks! I got to the point that you had to email and then call your SA to find your actual car on the lot before they told you and it made me sad you had to chase it :/, they really need to assess delivery process now that they are increasing in popularity

No, I didn't have to chase it, they were just too busy delivering cars. This was one of the first big batches that ever existed. I would have been contacted in a day or two. For me it was a pleasant surprise, as it was earlier than expected.

Reactions: Imaginathan

A few pieces of info

Welcome to the club!!!
Thank you! This is all wonderful advice! I'm getting so excited.

This happens every quarter.

Telsa's goal is to make a car and deliver a car in the same quarter.
So the delivery date will always reduce the closer you are to quarter's end.

The first month (Jan in this case) is reserved for cars being made for the Europe market (so they can still make them and deliver them in the same quarter).

It looks like batches are being made and shipped out to US locations now but it all depends on your particular config when that batch will be done. All you really know is it will be before 3/31 but could be anytime from next week until then and you are never going to get a better answer until you get the Vin#

Come back here in April/May and you can give the same reply to others asking questions about their April order.

Last edited:

A few pieces of info

Welcome to the club!!!
All good info, to add i would ask for an overnight test drive. In SoCal they give it to you from 4pm to 10am , it maybe different for other locations. That overnight helped me quite a bit (maybe a little too much as I asked to buy it), with that overnight I feel comfortable making the proper adjustments to get home easily whenever my car finally arrives. A bit of advice, if you have a 14 year old son dont let him test drive it in the neighborhood.. Maniac kid!

Similar deal here. I ordered Performance 3 on Feb 4th. Today is the first text I’ve gotten since the initial welcome text and it says “Delivery timing update - we currently expect your Model 3 to be ready for delivery 3-6 weeks from today. We will provide further updates as the estimated build date gets closer and the time range narrows. Please note that your delivery may be earlier than this estimation if a car with your configuration becomes available.”

Reactions: ofcorona
I ordered my Tesla Model 3 white on white Performance on January 13 and got a text today saying

“Delivery timing update - we now expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 2 weeks”

I been waiting over a month, however when I preordered the Model 3 it did say 8-11 weeks out. On there website right now as of today it says if I would order now it would be ready in 3-5 weeks.

Seems I am part of some gigantic batch of Model 3’s. I been driving a crappy rental car for the past month and it’s getting old. Anybody who got this text will it be ready in 2 weeks or it will just be built in two weeks? Would love to hear about someone’s real world experience.

I ordered my Tesla Model 3 white on white Performance on January 13 and got a text today saying

“Delivery timing update - we now expect your Model 3 to be built in the next 2 weeks”

I been waiting over a month, however when I preordered the Model 3 it did say 8-11 weeks out. On there website right now as of today it says if I would order now it would be ready in 3-5 weeks.

Seems I am part of some gigantic batch of Model 3’s. I been driving a crappy rental car for the past month and it’s getting old. Anybody who got this text will it be ready in 2 weeks or it will just be built in two weeks? Would love to hear about someone’s real world experience.

There's a sticky thread about delivery times and should read the last pages.

To short it for you,

First 6 weeks of the quarter is intl orders
Next 3 weeks is east coast orders.
Then last 3 weeks is focus on west coast.

This method is to make quarter deliveries.
Yes you can get your config quicker, but tesla does batches of config.

Sr+ looks to be being fulfilled as we speak, LR is starting this week, and we are suspecting performance to be made starting next week or so.

I'm inclined not to believe anything (from tesla) until the car arrives.
Here is my "experience" :

1/4 - ordered delivery in 4 to 7 weeks would get car 2/1 thru 2/15
(sold all my TSLA stock to get the model 3)
1/23 - txt notified delivery in 2 - 4 weeks would get car 2/6 thru 2/20
2/6 - txt notified delivery in 4 - 7 weeks would get car 3/5 thru 3/26
2/13 - txt notified delivery in 3 - 6 weeks would get car 3/5 thru 3/26
(TSLA climbs to over 900)
2/24 - txt notified delivery in 3 - 5 weeks would get car 3/16 thru 3/30
( so now it looks like I've got a pile of money in the bank doing nothing for 3 months)

So this falls inline with the 3 month production cycle so far. I wish I knew this in advance.

Got my text yesterday as well saying to expect my Model 3 to be built in the next 2 weeks. Ordered 2/19, so it looks like the 3-5 weeks estimate when I purchased is right. But from peoples experiences here I won't hold my breathe hahaha