Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An annoying "quality" to the Model S - couldn't it be fixed in software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found the drivers side a bit awkward to get in/out and around the steering wheel?
It's fine to set the seat/mirrors/steering wheel for each driver, but a nice feature of my lexus is the wheel moves out of the way when I get in/out of the car.
Is this a feature I simply haven't yet discovered?

Doug

An annoying "quality" to the Model S - couldn't it be fixed in software?

This has often been discussed: what many people do is make a special profile that has the seat way back and the steering wheel up. Select it when you exit the car so that it is easy to re-enter the car, then select your personal profile before driving.
There is no Model S feature that is like the Lexus feature you describe.

Thanks eCarfan,
Just today, I also noticed the car telling me that the charging port was open.
I thought it might be related to preheating the car without having it plugged in, but no such luck.
Now, each time I touch the charge port door to close it, it waits a few seconds and promptly opens again.
If I have to traipse into Toronto (a good hour's drive) to get something like this repaired, I'll be none to amused :)

Thanks for the profile suggestion.
Doug

Thanks eCarfan,
I thought it might be related to preheating the car without having it plugged in, but no such luck.
Now, each time I touch the charge port door to close it, it waits a few seconds and promptly opens again.
If I have to traipse into Toronto (a good hour's drive) to get something like this repaired, I'll be none to amused :)

Doug

What happens if you don't touch it? Mine closes in about 5 seconds. What happens if you close it from the control screen? Mine closes.

Have you checked to see if there is something in the way? I once had the magnet fall loose from my charge port door and cause trouble. Maybe there's something in the way so it won't stay closed, sort of like a hatch that can't close because I left the drying cloth draped over the edge of the hatch.

I would spend a little time and brain trying to figure this out before I spend a day driving to Toronto (actually for me it would be more like a month, coming from CA)

Ya, but I have friends in the Napa Valley :)
You could always drive to the mother ship
Thanks for the thoughts though.
It's closed now but I think I've got a sensor problem - I drove home with the warning light inside the car indicating that the port was open, even though it was clearly shut.
Doug

Thanks eCarfan,

Doug

Glad the chargeport managed to close itself.
BTW, there is also a SC in Mississauga which might save you some time instead of heading to Toronto.
Thought I'ld let you know.