Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

An introduction and a few questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE"WayneG, post: 3063590, member: 86388"]Mow that is pretty epic!! Did you notice any real world difference?[/QUOTE]

OMG yes! 5.2 is no slow coach and of course the immediate torque is great, but the difference is ridiculous. I’ve timed runs to prove it, not that it’s needed as it’s obvious but what the heck:

0DF1D1F3-A7E4-419C-A3E1-F660A30A7BDB.jpeg 1F8E10FC-0DA1-494E-9FBB-4FC7D7E1060C.jpeg
After
1F8E10FC-0DA1-494E-9FBB-4FC7D7E1060C.jpeg

I think I can get it lower but the weather is turning....

Finally, are there any things to know about?
Hi WayneG,

glad you enjoyed the test drive the 75D is plenty fast and actually 4.2 secs must be a typo on the website, the new cars have faster motors. The brakes last absolutely ages as regen braking is used instead, maybe last upto 100k depending on your driving style you get used to driving with mostly 1 foot. I have a model S without PUP and I don't regret it still a lovely car and whats nice is that the cabin is 99% the cabin apart from a few bits of leather and led lighting.

The car will come with free supercharging only if you buy an inventory car (valid until the end of September) and you can also get £100 extra supercharging credit on top of the 400kWh your get annually with a referral code, feel free to use mine in the profile page if you want one. The youtube videos mentioning $1000 off are old and haven't been update that was an old scheme running years ago.

V9 will hopefully roll out the dashcams too, we are all waiting, nice thing about tesla is you get these tweaks for free can't imagine any other car manufacturer doing the same.

If you are buying through finance then Tesla / finance company will require annual service which is basically a good check around the car and replacement of some fluids. It's actually a very detailed check over the car and they will replace any bits that have gone bad as goodwill sometimes even without letting you know.

For home charging installation you can claim £500 off the government with the OLEV scheme, I use podpoint they have been super reliable. see link below. I think I paid about £200 to get this installed which includes the grant money.
OLEV Grant | Pod Point

Last edited:
Hi @WayneG, and welcome to the forum. Your questions largely answered I think, but here's my 2p worth ...

the 0-60mph times sound similar on paper, but how's about the 50-70 range etc. Am I going to see a noticeable difference in torque/mid-range "shove" in the real world?

Yes, but no. :)

The 100 battery can delivery more power, as well as power-for-longer (i.e. range). But even if its 0.1 or 0.2 of a second 50-70 MPH I very much doubt you'll notice it, and Tesla passes 50-70 so fast anyway, all your overtaking manoeuvres will be quick. Part of that is the instant-torque effect ... compare "bend coming up, I know there is a straight ahead, change down [noise, vibration ...] come round bend ... clear? ok GO" with "come round bend [silent, no drama] ... clear? ok GO"

The difference between 75 and 100 is:

#1 Range - obviously :) On a nice, warm, day the MS75D will do 203 real-world motorway miles, and the MS100D 274 miles (I hope you haven't been seeing the "Statutory Test range figures", because they bear no relation to real-world I'm afraid)

Normally you will only charge to 90% (for a "trip" charge to 100%, but don't leave the battery sitting like that for hours) Deduct say 20 miles for "just in case". On a cold February day deduct 20%. So 90% daily range (with 20 miles spare) is Summer / Winter MS75D 163 / 126, MS100D 227 / 177

Note that you leave home, every morning, with that range. How many days a month do you drive further? I recommend using A Better Route Planner, select the Car/Model and put some real-world worst-case journeys in and see where it takes you for Supercharging and how much time that will add to the Journey. London to Edinburgh is a single 30 minute Supercharging stop for a 100 :)

If you divide the price difference by the extra miles of range you'll hate the amount-per-mile, but that's not the full story.

I do 27,000 miles a year and drive out-of-range a couple of days a month. If I had the smaller battery that would be 4 or 5 days a month, and extra charging time, detouring because I couldn't "quite reach" the ideal Supercharger, and so on would add a 2 or 3 hours to my overall Supercharging. For me, that time saving justifies for the extra cost. But ... if you don't need the range don't pay for it. You will be pushing a lot more battery-weight around, the whole time, which costs you some "juice" efficiency of course.

#2 the 100 battery Supercharges faster than the 75 battery. All Tesla batteries charge at about the same rate, in terms of percentage. So both 75 and 100 put on about 10% every 5 minutes from 10% to 70%~80% (and much slower above that).

So in the 100 you have more range to start with, you then Supercharge adding 1/3 more miles in the same time, you maybe make fewer Supercharger stops (allow 5 minutes per stop getting into/out-of the Services), more choice of Superchargers in a 100 so much less chance of having to detour for a fill-up [that adds driving time, but also more charging time for the detour miles] and much less likely you would have to Supercharge a 100 into the "slow" 80%-100% zone than a 75 - i.e. because you "need the range"

If you don't need it, don't buy it (unless you want to)

have features such as the in-built dash-cam been confirmed?

My guess: picture quality will be nothing like as good as a dashcam, and that will make the difference between being able to identify the culprit ... and not. However, V9 is so imminent that maybe wait for a bit (and either see it and then choose, or decide "it's late, yet again" :) and get Dashcam anyway,. I have no idea where the car is going to store the video; there isn't a lot of wiggleroom spare memory capacity.

US citizens can save $1000USD with a code when purchasing

Tesla have had various incentive programs over the years. Elon is trying to get the company profitable, so they are tailing off all incentives.

The car will come with free supercharging for life

Only if it is an inventory car, and only if you buy it before the end of this month. Note that use of a Referral code is a cash gift from you to the referrer (i.e. the cost of the Swag given to the referrer is baked into the price), so something like £500. If you have a Tesla mate locally, who can get your a Wall Charger (so either no referrals yet, or just one) he can give you that but, as already said, it will be "sometime never" before you actually see it. I haven't yet had Wall Charger from Referral that took delivery in March ...

I'd get a free home charger unit, but would have to pay around £300 to install it. Does that seem correct?

if you have off road parking you can get the OLEV grant to install a charger

I would get the Tesla wall charger and pay to have it installed, rather than OLEV. You can get a subsidised OLEV unit, but it seems that installers charge more for those (because of the red-tape paperwork involved?) and it works out about the same, and my (albeit old-model OLEV because Tesla didn't have a UK unit back then) has been unreliable [and for other users of that brand too].

Tesla wall charger will automatically adjust power - e.g. if your household gets a second Tesla in future - and so on. Looks smart too - if that is important to you.

If you have PV and could charge (daytime) then there are wall chargers that will divert any excess PV into your car. No use if you are out-to-work of course. Unless Employer pays for charge-at-work (no Benefit-in-Kind tax on that) and you only charge at Weekend and want to use your PV then)

brakes last a lot longer than a non-EV which makes sense, but is it the case?

Depends how you drive :) I have the Performance model, but even so rarely use the brakes. Most of my driving is highway, and Regen is all I use. Probably reasonable to expect 150,000 miles from a set of brakes. Apparently "jumping on them" once a week is a good idea to keep them in good shape, because they are so underused.

Surely a garage wouldn't want to be missing out on this each time

Tesla service is hugely overloaded, they don't want your vehicle in for service. Currently 6 weeks lead time for a service I think?

But service is expensive. Jaguar is including 5 years service in price of i-Pace I think? Tesla should do that too.

V9coming soon but god knows when that really is

The fact that Musk is tweeting "in final testing" has, previously, mean that his "coming soon" prediction is accurate. Might be month late, but not more than that.

being a full new version number I’m expecting some cool stuff

Yes. But the last Big Version also bought with it a complete facelift to the presentation and 50% of people hated it (and many complained it wasn't the car they had bought).. I have old-eyes and agree with them, and I think that Tesla should have offered "Classic" mode too. The current vogue for "flat" my eyes find very hard to cope with and most old Tesla-owning codgers that I know say the same thing.

So my expectation is "some good", and "some not so good". Tesla have already said they are combining Model-3 screen features with Model-S/X and I fear the worst from an old-eyes standpoint.

The referral is only when buying a new Tesla

Two things here. Get £100 off supercharging with a Referral, or buy an Inventory car (before end of month) for the original "umlimited supercharging" referral deal.

it sounds like I wouldn't get the free supercharging,

If you get free Supercharging, or £100, great. But other than that forget about it.

I do 27,000 miles p.a., and TeslaFi (which has logged all the data from my car every minute, of every day, since I have owned it) tells me that 12% of that was "free" at Supercharger.

27,000 miles p.a. on Economy 7 is about £700 a year on "fuel". 12% is less than £100 p.a., so "unlimited free" not really going to make any tangible difference to me, given that I have bough a £100K car in the first place!

My workplace provides free EV charging, so that accounts for 50%, so I pay about £275 p.a.

27,000 miles @ 32 MPG and £1.30 / Litre = FIVE THOUSAND POUNDS p.a. for fuel !! And I save 8 hours a year not standing on smelly, wet, cold forecourts filling up.

I just get the feeling they're wanting to meet sales quota for the quarter,

Yes, happens every Quarter to keep Wall Street happy. As a consequence Delivery is hugely stretched and quality suffers. But they will sort out any niggles afterwards, they just might not have done so before collection which is disappointing for any new car owners to be taking home a "not 100%" car.

Pity Musk didn't manage to take Tesla private, as that would have fixed that problem for him.

I've never been particularly fussy about in car audio

Me too. An EV is so inherently quiet that you don't need the bass-boom to compensate for engine-noise, which means Audio is always going to be better. We had Bose in previous car, which was superb. Initially thought the Tesla (standard audio) not good enough, but I now think it is fine (either it is now "run in" [which I have read is-a-thing], or I have changed expectation ...). Proper audiophiles who ride in the car think the car-audio-quality of e.g. Adele on Spotify is astonishing. I mostly listen to FM (TuneIn / DAB is not 100% coverage) and I get static on radio now-and-then which is disappointing and even after numerous attempts Tesla have not been able to fix it.

The “enhanced” autopilot functions announced at the same are non existent

I reckon you'll be pleased in V9. I have heard nothing about speed-sign recognition (which I regard as a showstopper in upgrading from AP1 to AP2), and I think Tesla should have been prioritising that, rather than "better country lane AP driving" but its not my gaff!

also the 21" alloys I don't particularly want

Could cost you 10% - 20% range (more so if you, also, have sticky/performance tyres)

I would have thought that loads of 19" owners would want the swanky 21" wheels ... but how to swap them? as @DPJ31 said the "swap" would be a right palaver.

I reckon if you said to Tesla "I'll take that inventory car, but put some 19" wheels on it" their quarterly sales targets will mean they will find a way to do that.

a lot of the inventory models are suggesting 5.2 seconds

Someone will correct me, but I thought all?? Facelift 75s had been "uncorked" from 5s 0-60 to 4s so you would need to double check any specific car, but most likely any info saying 5s is wrong.

if they can do 4.2 though, I guess its only the model hierarchy stopping them from making it even more accelerative with a semi-ludicrous mode etc

Don't anticipate better. The Insane / Ludicrous was some beefier wiring / fuse (and you needed the bigger Performance motor too). Thereafter just software (once they started making all cars with the bigger fuse fitted as standard), so anyone with an old Performance model can upgrade to Ludicrous with a flash of their credit card ... that's pretty cool of course, and you can buy AutoPilot etc. similarly

Then Tesla discovered (or had already planned ...) that the basic-version had more manufacturing tolerance than original thought, and their initial assumptions were too conservative, so they issued a software upgrade to enhance the whole fleet from 5s to 4s.

... about the time that the Jaguar i-Pace was announced which, surprise surprise (sceptic that I am!!), was around the 4s mark :)

And the whole rollout COMMS for the Uncorking was handled abysmally, in typical Tesla fashion. All sorted out now (except the Data on used-cars <sigh> as you have discovered)

If you are buying through finance then Tesla / finance company will require annual service

I think rather than Annual it is "manufacturers recommended interval" or annual, whichever comes first. Sadly its the same service-interval as an ICE, and totally unnecessary.

warranty work, and Tesla are proactive at service time in checking the car over

I [paid cash and] serviced mine at the first year interval, and again just before 50,000 miles when the basic warranty ran out, and plan to service at approximately 30,000 miles / annually from now on.

Reactions: .jg.
P.S. A model 3 will have better range, so if you need a MS100 for range, but can't afford it, then consider Model-3 instead?

If you bought a 2nd hand MS now then as an owner you will be prioritised for Model-3 delivery (well ... that's been the case in USA).

Model-3 coming to EU in 2019, but I don't know about left-hand-drive, although I have heard that they are starting to think about Oz, so that would take care of it too.

Manufacturing now at 5,000 units a week, so the backlog of orders in a country will be handled as quickly as they can cope with hand-over to customers. So delivery of backlog in UK might not be "all that long"

A970E924-513C-49DB-8A6F-0F43B786B69F.jpeg
3711500A-911F-4673-A217-59AE344FBB44.jpeg
@WannabeOwner thats extremely concise and helpful, thank you!!

I was in Vegas a couple of weeks ago and spotted the Model 3. To be honest, I liked the footprint of it, but the S isn’t huge either, and I’m just not sure I like the interior layout. I want the white interior for the S, but keep seeing the 3 with black and wood, which doesn’t appeal.

Also, by the time I get one, my other cars will have depreciated a lot further I guess.

My wife thinks it is ... she won't take it if she has to bay-park at e.g. Station.

One of my current cars is a 4x4 so I guess I'm just used to the size. We drove a "mini-van" in America and thought it was like piloting a frigate, but I took the S to car parks etc during my 24 hour drive and had no issues... if I did, it would just be an excuse to use "summon" at some point I guess :D

Reactions: WannabeOwner
One of my current cars is a 4x4 so I guess I'm just used to the size. We drove a "mini-van" in America and thought it was like piloting a frigate, but I took the S to car parks etc during my 24 hour drive and had no issues... if I did, it would just be an excuse to use "summon" at some point I guess :D

Teslas (S and X) are very wide compared to other cars in the same class. That's the only thing to be aware of really. But it's never been a big deal for me either. But I wouldn't want to be parking in narrow spaces like you see in many UK car parks.

Teslas (S and X) are very wide compared to other cars in the same class. That's the only thing to be aware of really. But it's never been a big deal for me either. But I wouldn't want to be parking in narrow spaces like you see in many UK car parks.

Thanks, it didn't feel any wider than what I've got really. One of my cars is a Smart car and the MS is actually easier to climb in and out of in a tight space due to the massive doors on the smart lol

The proximity parking sensors and radar really help get a full visualisation on screen of how close you actually are including letting you know in Inches! autopark makes it a doddle to get into tight space that I wouldn't even try manually.

I agree, and as a relatively old g1t like inches :). The auto park is great, I do find it a bit quick though - heart in mouth time on occasion.

On the V9 Dash cam front : We have now had more details leaked in public.

From what I gather, V9 will enable a dash cam function.

It will only be the front under mirror camera, not the sides, b-pillars or rear camera.

It will not record when the car is parked and off.

It will require you to pre-format a USB stick as FAT32 and create a specific subfolder on it called 'TeslaCam' which should be plugged into one of the front USB ports. Doing this will enable the feature, the vehicle will recognise it and a dash cam icon will appear in the status bar.

The dash cam will automatically record and the icon controls the dash cam. It records for an hour before overwriting the old videos and if you want to archive something, then you can archive the last 10 minutes by tapping the dash cam icon whilst recording. An archived video is saved with a timestamp and not overwritten.

This feature will be only available of a vehicle with Autopilot 2.5 (which started being put into cars around Aug 2017).

Sum up here : Here’s how Tesla’s new dashcam feature using Autopilot cameras works

• Informative
Reactions: Tam