Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And so it begins: My S75's repair journey...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update (11/6/2017)

All parts except one are in; waiting on the "Radiator Support". Unfortunately until that is in, the others can't be put on/painted/etc.

The repair process is (as expected) taking longer and longer. We're at day-48 now (accident occurred on 9/29/2017). Any guesses for the final tally? I'm thinking under-60. Wishful thinking?

On the bright side, the repair shop (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD) are making a genuine effort to keep me in the loop and happy, under the circumstances. Between text message updates once a week and a periodic phone call from the repair coordinator (the Tesla certified person at their shop), it's been pretty good... I keep reminding myself that they too, of course, are at Tesla's mercy with the parts.

I have my rental car still for another 7-10 days, I believe, based on my insurance coverage. I should start worrying this time next week about what sort of costs could start hitting my pocket (in the form of rental car payments), I suppose.

Will report back once the parts are in and there's some more news! I'm expecting a speedier process once that occurs.

Also, hoping for some quality work once the actual repair process begins; shop told me that they have "lifetime warranty" on all their repairs. Assuming here that some sort of warranty also applies to the car protection film they're going to put on the vehicle for me (to replace the Xpel Ultimate I had on there pre-accident).

Fingers crossed!

Another update (10/13/2017)

Got a call from my Repair Coordinator at the shop. He was calling to give me an update on where things stood. I was out for lunch, so decided to just drop by in person to chat. Once I got there, I got a chance to see my Model-S in person as well.
  • The damaged front pieces have been taken off to see what else underneath needs to be replaced (attaching picture; yellow circles are areas they saw damage to, hence full pieces will be replaced altogether).
  • They have a Lifetime Warranty on all the work they do; this gave me some piece of mind!
  • They also have a person who does coverings/films (I had Xpel Ultimate on my front) who will be redoing that coverage for me, under insurance coverage.
  • Latest Tesla Parts update: As expected, they do not have the parts on hand and it's taking a while. The ETA for the parts (as of today) stands at 10/31/2017. The shop says that this could slip further. I'm keeping fingers crossed!
  • The shop would need to get the parts, paint/finish, do repairs, wait a couple of days, apply film, before the car would be ready. So even if the ETA of 10/31 happens, it may not be until 11/7-ish until the vehicle is ready.
  • I have a rental through my insurance until 11/10. Can probably downgrade the vehicle to get more days out of it; may make that decision on 10/31.
View attachment 253797

Update (11/22/2017)
  • As of right now, we're on day-54 of the repair journey.
  • The last part ("core support") was shipped, delivered, but apparently stayed at some mysterious local Tesla location for 4 days before it could be delivered to the repair center. *sigh* So it appears that Tesla part issues are persisting, albeit there's a logistics/transportation piece to this as well, so it may not be just a production issue.
  • As for the repair center itself (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD), haven't really had a chance to truly review their work, since things have been out of their hands up until now. The person assigned to my repairs has been very communicative thus far though. Have high hopes for their work! Will report back when I have more info on that end.
  • Since all the parts are in, we're now aiming for a totally-fixed pick-up date of: (drumroll)... 12/1/2017. Since the rest of this week is going to be shot, due to Thanksgiving holiday.
  • My rental car coverage expired on 11/17 (had a max of $1500 on my insurance plan for it); so have been paying out-of-pocket for the rental since.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! :)

Update (11/6/2017)

All parts except one are in; waiting on the "Radiator Support". Unfortunately until that is in, the others can't be put on/painted/etc.

The repair process is (as expected) taking longer and longer. We're at day-48 now (accident occurred on 9/29/2017). Any guesses for the final tally? I'm thinking under-60. Wishful thinking?

On the bright side, the repair shop (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD) are making a genuine effort to keep me in the loop and happy, under the circumstances. Between text message updates once a week and a periodic phone call from the repair coordinator (the Tesla certified person at their shop), it's been pretty good... I keep reminding myself that they too, of course, are at Tesla's mercy with the parts.

I have my rental car still for another 7-10 days, I believe, based on my insurance coverage. I should start worrying this time next week about what sort of costs could start hitting my pocket (in the form of rental car payments), I suppose.

Will report back once the parts are in and there's some more news! I'm expecting a speedier process once that occurs.

Also, hoping for some quality work once the actual repair process begins; shop told me that they have "lifetime warranty" on all their repairs. Assuming here that some sort of warranty also applies to the car protection film they're going to put on the vehicle for me (to replace the Xpel Ultimate I had on there pre-accident).

Fingers crossed!

Update (12/8/2017)
  • FINALLY GOT MY CAR BACK!!!
  • Repairs look great + the film/protection (Xpel Ultimate) was reapplied as a part of the repair process and looks good as well.
  • Kudos to Service King Collision Repair center! While the process to get the parts from Tesla was a loooong one, they did a great job in keeping in touch and responding to my queries (shout-out to Aaron H. from their shop!).
  • Here's the final tally:
    • Net cost of repairs: ~$9,000
    • Total days it took: 70 days
  • One final hiccup, which I think might be a result of the recent firmware update on the car (which occurred while it was at the shop); I was driving in to work this morning and my AP1 disengaged and I got an error on the dash stating: "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable"
    • The surrounding sensors appear to be working; when I am close to a vehicle, they light up as expected.
    • Restarting the dash computer (Park, then holding in both scroll wheels) did not get rid of the error.
    • Will see how long this persists; I've gotten in touch with the repair shop to ask them as well.
MVIMG_20171208_090828.jpg MVIMG_20171208_084106.jpg
Update (11/22/2017)
  • As of right now, we're on day-54 of the repair journey.
  • The last part ("core support") was shipped, delivered, but apparently stayed at some mysterious local Tesla location for 4 days before it could be delivered to the repair center. *sigh* So it appears that Tesla part issues are persisting, albeit there's a logistics/transportation piece to this as well, so it may not be just a production issue.
  • As for the repair center itself (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD), haven't really had a chance to truly review their work, since things have been out of their hands up until now. The person assigned to my repairs has been very communicative thus far though. Have high hopes for their work! Will report back when I have more info on that end.
  • Since all the parts are in, we're now aiming for a totally-fixed pick-up date of: (drumroll)... 12/1/2017. Since the rest of this week is going to be shot, due to Thanksgiving holiday.
  • My rental car coverage expired on 11/17 (had a max of $1500 on my insurance plan for it); so have been paying out-of-pocket for the rental since.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! :)

Update (12/8/2017)
  • One final hiccup, which I think might be a result of the recent firmware update on the car (which occurred while it was at the shop); I was driving in to work this morning and my AP1 disengaged and I got an error on the dash stating: "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable"
    • The surrounding sensors appear to be working; when I am close to a vehicle, they light up as expected.
    • Restarting the dash computer (Park, then holding in both scroll wheels) did not get rid of the error.
    • Will see how long this persists; I've gotten in touch with the repair shop to ask them as well.
View attachment 265303

This appears to be a radar calibration issue that my Tesla Service Center (Owing Mills, MD) would need to take care of. Separate thread for this started here.