Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android bluetooth pairing issue - solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new member here, just purchased a 2018 Model S 75D.
When I tried to pair my OnePlus 9 Pro phone to the car's Bluetooth, I was very disappointed that it didn't work at all, while my partner's iPhone paired immediately.
I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting and researching this apparently common problem with Android phones, and just an hour ago, I got it to work.
I went to Settings -> Additional settings -> OTG connection (enabled this item), and the pairing went smoothly.
1600340192646991872.png

I'll be curious to see whether the connection still works the next time I drive the car, as this OTG connection option says it will automatically disable again when not used for 10 minutes. That would be frustrating, but at least I know how to get it to work again....

... and researching this apparently common problem with Android phones, ...
I have an android phone (Samsung Zflip3) and it paired up without such an option on my 2023 MYP.

Did a quick Google... and OTG is for "On the go" and more importantly, has to do with USB connections, not bluetooth.

So either your phone is bugged having an unrelated option affect BT or something else coincidentally cleared up at the same time. Sometimes it's just glitchy.

Well, look for pairing problems with Android phones, and you'll find plenty of stories about this problem, it's not just my phone that has this issue. Some of these stories talk about successful pairing in the past, until an update to a newer Android version that caused exactly this same problem for them. So don't jump to conclusions here....
And say what you will, I tried about every combination of even developer settings about Bluetooth with no avail, restarting the phone, rebooting the car touchscreen and everything.
And be it whatever it is, changing the OTG setting instantly solved the pairing issue. I didn't change anything else (I have some experience is software testing) but that single setting which gave a successful outcome, so my conclusion is simple.
Just trying to help here.

What conclusions are you claiming I'm jumping to?

I made no statements regarding your experience "credentials." Nor did I make any definitive statement regarding what YOUR issue is.

OTG is related to USB, not BT, regardless of whether it fixed your issue or not. This is simply a fact I stated.

My android phone and all manner of various devices (including the car) have had issue connecting via BT sometimes and then cleared up on their own. There have also people with iPhone having similar issues to.

But hey, you're free to believe whatever you want. As for my question about jumping to conclusion, you don't have to answer, I don't care at this point. Have fun, I'm out of this thread.