Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable connection with my iPhone via Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I've paired my iPhone with my car and set it as a primary device so I can call via car. But when I go home and return, my phone may connect to the car itself (and it is the correct behavior; I can make calls), or it doesn't connect, and I need to open the Bluetooth settings, tap on the Add New Device card, select my phone (it is already added but disconnected) and tap on the Connect button.

How to handle this? I want my phone to restore connection automatically, and I may call via the car when I need to.

Ok
Model 3 Dual Motor Performance 2019 EU version, software 2023.44.30.9, warranty is expired. Phone - iPhone 14 plus, iOS 17.2.1

It looks like the problem is not on the phone side - I use many other Bluetooth speakers, and all of them connect to the phone automatically. Only Tesla does it randomly. At the same time, this phone works as the phone key very well - no issues at all.

Hi there,

I've paired my iPhone with my car and set it as a primary device so I can call via car. But when I go home and return, my phone may connect to the car itself (and it is the correct behavior; I can make calls), or it doesn't connect, and I need to open the Bluetooth settings, tap on the Add New Device card, select my phone (it is already added but disconnected) and tap on the Connect button.

How to handle this? I want my phone to restore connection automatically, and I may call via the car when I need to.
The exact same thing happens to me. iPhone 12mini, 2022 Model 3LR. I just live with it and check connectivity when I remember. Hope someone else has solved this and can help.

I don't like to use my key card, as if I forget to remove it immediately, it can fall between my seat and the consul. I want to always use my telephone. However, my android phone will unconnect from the car's computer at least once a week. When it fails to work, I use the keycard. Once I do that the phone works again. Is the car likely unpairing or is it the phone? I don't know how to figure out which is the likely cause as, usually, I need to get going and can only spend so much time to investigate the cause of the problem. I wonder if Tesla drivers have this problem with an Apple phone. Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks

I think it is the car as the phone works again immediately after I use the key card.

My car is a 2018 Tesla Model 3 with software 2023.44.30.8 06f534d46010. The car has premium connectivity, whatever that is. My phone is a Motorola Moto 5 Power. The car does not have a warranty. The car has enhanced autopilot. It is supposed to change lanes but that doesn't work on a 2018 for some reason.

I don't like to use my key card, as if I forget to remove it immediately, it can fall between my seat and the consul. I want to always use my telephone. However, my android phone will unconnect from the car's computer at least once a week. When it fails to work, I use the keycard. Once I do that the phone works again. Is the car likely unpairing or is it the phone? I don't know how to figure out which is the likely cause as, usually, I need to get going and can only spend so much time to investigate the cause of the problem. I wonder if Tesla drivers have this problem with an Apple phone. Any ideas would be appreciated, Thanks

I think it is the car as the phone works again immediately after I use the key card.
No, my issue is slightly different. The phone works as a key as expected, never fails. But BT connection (to make calls via car) works 50/50. And it is not unpaired, because the car remember the phone and if I tap on the "connect" button after selecting my stored phone in the car - it connects without any pairing routines. I try to find a solution for a month in many places and haven't done this yet. It looks like the issue is active and not solved.

Reactions: Bike22
M3 Highland - 2023.44.30.9 - Android Pixel 6a

I have the same (or close to) problem. Phone works perfectly as a phone key but every time I get in the car, I have to go to Bluetooth and tap 'connect' to get the car-phone BT connection going. No BT handshake process required.

Just a bit annoying as the same phone automatically connected via BT to my previous vehicle for a seamless experience.

M3 Highland - 2023.44.30.9 - Android Pixel 6a

I have the same (or close to) problem. Phone works perfectly as a phone key but every time I get in the car, I have to go to Bluetooth and tap 'connect' to get the car-phone BT connection going. No BT handshake process required.

Just a bit annoying as the same phone automatically connected via BT to my previous vehicle for a seamless experience.
As far as you're using Android, I'm using iOS, it looks like the issue is on the Tesla side. May be it depends on if the phone is used as phone key or not.

I dont know if its a Tesla or a combination of Tesla and Apple with their recent updates breaking these BT. I noticed my BT on my 2021 LR, with the most recent update would occasionally be manually connect. Well over the weekend I updated my iOS to 17.3 thinking that could resolve it. Well now, my Tesla cant event see my iPhone BT. I've since removed it but trying to add it back doesnt work at all. The mobile key still works.

Update: I downloaded ios 17.4 (beta) update and installed it. and it seems to be working again with the car.
I updated to ios 17.4 beta but can’t reply to any messages in the car. It looks like
the message is sent, but when I check my phone it doesn’t show any of the messages. So I’ve been replying using voice but no one’s getting my messages. Do you have that issue?

Reactions: RNHurt
I updated to ios 17.4 beta but can’t reply to any messages in the car. It looks like
the message is sent, but when I check my phone it doesn’t show any of the messages. So I’ve been replying using voice but no one’s getting my messages. Do you have that issue?
Yes, I am experiencing the same thing. Everything was working great; after installing iOS 17.4 I can't send text messages any more. I can receive them and the car will read them to me, but I can't reply.

Reactions: Prime1000