Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Android Phone - Lock - Reprogramming Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously, about 30% of the time I needed to unlocked my phone and opened the Tesla app my to unlock my car. My Android phone hasn't unlocked very well since the latest 26.1 code and I have no choice but to use the key-card often. So I decided to delete & re-install both the Lock and Bluetooth of Android 8.0 phone on the car's UI. Pairing with Bluetooth was easy, but adding my Android phone to the LOCK was not so easy. I looked for a way to ADD a device for the LOCK without any luck in the UI. Since I was about 15 minutes from Fremont's new service center, I decided to go ask an adviser. A service tech came out looked and was unable to determine how to add my phone to the LOCK list on the UI also. He called their support engineer for Model 3 and we had to reboot / sign-out of the Tesla app before the app finally asked me to add my Android phone to the LOCK list. It's pretty natural for most users expect to find a way to add the phone to the LOCK list since the Bluetooth was done using the UI on the car.

IMO the Android / Model 3 unlock function is pretty sad and I hope they are able to fix it soon.

Irwin

You remove the phone from the Car UI, you add the phone from the phone UI, with the assistance of the card key.

I have found that the app needs to be running, but not necessarily in foreground, and that the phone has to be awake. That basically means hitting the power button on the phone as I get near.

As of last Saturday, my phone shows the bluetooth connecting to Tesla, but will not unlock/lock or able to enable Drive. It's just about a 100% failure to with regards to the lock/unlock function with the new 26.1 code. I just also added a Samsung S3 watch to my hardware. I need to review more if there is a conflict with regards to having multiple bluetooth devices simultaneous.

You remove the phone from the Car UI, you add the phone from the phone UI, with the assistance of the card key.

I have found that the app needs to be running, but not necessarily in foreground, and that the phone has to be awake. That basically means hitting the power button on the phone as I get near.
I also find on my HTC One m9 (2015 era phone, but with Android 7.0 official update) that it does help if I wake my phone (even if not unlocked, just wake it), but sometimes the car is still unresponsive for several seconds. During the unresponsive time I hear relays clicking in the car, so I suspect something it not yet powered up in the car to be able to respond on these occasions.

I am testing now if I pre-cool the car shortly before going to it, if that makes things reliable (since that seems to ensure the car is awake) - so far I have a 100% success rate, but I've only tried this once, so that is not a meaningful sample size :D