Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Angry no Homelink and now no premium connectivity:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t had a ton of ‘connected’ cars, but every car that was typically gave you a free period before charging extra. Tesla is actually better than many because the basic connectivity is still free; you only need to pay for the additional features.

while the consumer in me gets annoyed I understand why. ‘Connectivity’ means. Cellular connection, and someone is paying for that. I think Tesla uses AT&T but regardless, I’m sure they have a contract with the carrier based on expected data usage, etc.

Note that you can use your phone as a cellular hotspot and get all of the premium connectivity features except google traffic info.

How is a 50-60k vehicle a premium vehicle these days? Our MY LR 7 seat upgraded wheels with Tow was less than 60k. Almost every comparable vehicle worth a damn is significantly more money. The Model 3 and Model Y aren't luxury vehicles. They are just luxury technology. Getting more people into electric vehicles is the idea here. keeping them less expensive, then, if an owner wants, they can add more features. It is like an ala carte menu. I can get that nice steak without getting all the starches and vegetables if I don't want them. But I still get that nice steak!

There are AM/FM streaming options, which is better IMHO... Who wants all the downsides to FM (noise, interference, range). You can also use hotspot to keep connectivity now.

It would be nice if they had homelink at order time so you don't have to make a SC visit, but in practice you'll probably have to make a SC visit for something minor anyway on a new car, unfortunately.

There are AM/FM streaming options, which is better IMHO... Who wants all the downsides to FM (noise, interference, range). You can also use hotspot to keep connectivity now.

It would be nice if they had homelink at order time so you don't have to make a SC visit, but in practice you'll probably have to make a SC visit for something minor anyway on a new car, unfortunately.
Range is obviously not an issue but streaming also has interference, signal loss, etc.

When I got homelink installed they did it with a mobile tech. The package arrived in the mail, I made an appointment online, the tech came out and did it in about 15-20 mintues. It was incredibly easy and I didn’t have to go anywhere. I agree that it would be nice it be able to order it and have it installed prior to delivery, though. There’s no real reason the dealer couldn’t do it prior to you picking up the car.

I was super mad when I found out I had to pay for my premium connectivity on my Jeep when it expired after a year. Oh and I also had to buy navigation disks yearly if I wanted to keep my nav up to date. I was steaming mad when I found out I had to get oil changes, transmission flushes, differential flushes. Can you believe that for a vehicle that cost $54k! Just the outrage for such a “luxury” vehicle.

No FM radio in Canada? My 2021 MYP has High Def FM and sounds amazing, but of course all the commercials suck. 1 year free Premium Connectivity for MPY. No AM radio and Homelink is widely known!

@Deutsch100 to clarify: The MY absolutely comes with FM radio in Canada. @Krusty was either mistaken or confused. Like everywhere else, there is no AM or SirisuXM radios, however. I believe you can get some AM channels rebroadcasted on HD FM sub-channels, though I've yet to try it in our Tesla. (Been meaning to, but just haven't yet.)

A note on the pricing up here in the Great White North:
  • A "Basic" MYP (white paint, black interior, no tow hitch, no FSD) currently costs $83,990 CAD in the build configurator. Unlike in the USA, this includesthe destination & doc fees, but taxes are extra (and vary by province or territory).
    • According to Google as I post this reply, that is equivalent to $66,515.88 USD (including destination fee)
    • If you remove the $1,200 USD destination fee, then you're looking at $65,315.88 USD equivalent
    • US build configurator currently shows $60,990 before destination--so approx $4,300 USD extra in Canada
  • An "every option" MYP (red paint, white interior, tow hitch, FSD) currently costs $99,790 CAD in the build configuration; again including destination but pre-tax.
    • According to Google as I post this reply, that is equivalent to $79,037.20 USD (including destination fee)
    • If you remover the $1,200 USD destination fee, then you're looking at $77,837.20 USD equivalent.
    • US build configurator currently shows $74,990 before destination--so approx $2,900 USD extra in Canada*
  • Any other permutation is somewhere in between.

* FSD pricing in Canada has not received the price increase the US market got when the beta went out last year, which is a big part of why the fully-loaded MYP has a smaller price-delta between the two markets than the no-options configuration.