Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Animals crossing in front of my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
We live in a developing area near the mountains and I've noticed plenty of wild animals in this region. Specifically Coyotes, and usually at night--presumably the coyotes popped into the neighborhood for a snack, and were headed back home across the road I often drive in the evening.

I've noticed a pattern where the coyotes would often hide/wait in the bushes along the median of the road until the ICE cars pass and then trot across the road, invariably in front of me, in the Tesla. This has happened at least 3-4 times, occasionally with 2 coyotes in tandem. And yes, I have my lights on and everything. And yes, they trot slowly as if I am not even there, just conveniently lighting up the road for them.o_O

I'm starting to wonder if they just don't hear me. Fortunately I've learned to drive the speed limit on this road and (knock on wood) haven't made any contact.

Figured it was just the coyotes, but tonight it was a jack-rabbit as well...

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
I'm starting to wonder if they just don't hear me
I am not questioning your description of the animal behavior you see, but given the amount of road/tire noise produced by a Tesla (just as much as any car) I find it hard to believe the coyotes don't hear your car coming. They have extremely acute hearing, I believe.

Perhaps it has to do with the nature of the sound of the Tesla; they don't recognize it as a "huge scary moving object". I'm just speculating...

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Perhaps it has to do with the nature of the sound of the Tesla; they don't recognize it as a "huge scary moving object". I'm just speculating...

That makes sense. I see that they would wait for the revving ICEs to pass, and then go.

Also I wonder if the sound of the passing ICEs make the Tesla harder to hear (Doppler effect and all).