Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My FSD 11.4.4 Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been in the shop for like 10 days and counting so far. See this thread as to why: 2022 MYP GPS stuck, no cameras, cannot sleep

So thankfully, I got a loaner. But the great news is, it's got FSD 11.4.4! This is the first time I have experienced FSD on top of the regular Autopilot "autosteer". I already really like autosteer, but this FSD really takes it to another level. Here are my observations:

Speed and distance control: just like the autosteer function, this works really well. You can set it to drive x% over the speed limit or an actual number (like drive 10 mph over whatever the speed limit is). I set mine to 10% over the speed limit. So if limit is 30 mph, it would go 33 mph. But the good news is, you can still press on the accelerator to override that and take your foot off to return to your preset limit. So by default, you can set it to drive slowly and you can override it whenever you want to and then it will return to that preset.

Works great day or night. Works in the rain also but less effectively (asks you to jiggle the steering wheel more often).

The "eye in the sky" - the interior camera looks at a couple of things (see list below I gathered from our forum). When I played around with it, it actually does work. I.e. - if I am pretending to be looking at my phone, it asks me to jiggle the steering wheel a lot more often. Ditto if I'm playing around with the touch screen and looking away.
  • BLINDED
  • DARK
  • EYES_CLOSED
  • EYES_DOWN
  • EYES_NOMINAL
  • EYES_UP
  • HEAD_DOWN
  • HEAD_TRUNC
  • LOOKING_LEFT
  • LOOKING_RIGHT
  • PHONE_USE
  • SUNGLASSES_EYES_LIKELY_NOMINAL
  • SUNGLASSES_LIKELY_EYES_DOWN

Late turn signals: I wish it would apply the turn signal a little earlier. Or maybe, there should be an option to make it come sooner and later.

It actually stops for stop signs; it doesn't crawl through it. It doesn't know that if you live in the neighborhood, the stop signs are more like "recommendations" (just joking). And while you can slowly roll through it, of course, you still need to keep an eye out for cars, bikes, kids, neighbors and pets. From a stop light, the acceleration is jerky and not smooth. Of course, if you put it into "chill" mode, it takes care of that. But the car shouldn't have to treat the go pedal like an on/off switch. It should gently press on it like a human would.

Tentative turning into busy streets - it acts like a nervous teenager when turning into busy streets. Sometimes it jerks the steering wildly when it hesitates when seeing oncoming traffic.

The cameras all around the car can see a lot more of what's going on that you every could...unless you have eyes on the back of your head and above your ears. If cars are approaching you at a very high rate of speed from behind, it actually senses this and moves you away from the danger. This actually seems to work outside of FSD.

I LOVE that I can initiate the Nav by saying "Navigate to Starbucks" and it actually drives me there! Yes, it asks me to jiggle the steering wheel every so often. But despite that, it lowers the stress of driving significantly. I actually love to drive, but I love gadgets even more. And this stuff is great.

It's certainly NOT ready for prime time. BUT, this is the best "driver assist" that I've ever driven (better than Mercedes, GM's Super Cruise, Ford's Blue Cruise, the Hyundai variants, Volvo and Audi/VW). The reason I say it's not ready for prime time is because Tesla advertises it as "full self driving". If they actually called it driver assist, it would STILL be the best compared to anything else out there. Consumer Reports actually ranked GM's the "best" since it's truly "hands free". BUT, it's ONLY good for a limited amount of highways pre-marked by GM. So that's stupid. Even the Mercedes one, which is the first "true" level 3 is such a joke since there are soooo many pre-requisites: only works during daylight, there must be a car in front of you, clear road markings, clear weather only (no rain), only for highways marked by Mercedes, and get this... only UNDER 40 mph. That's just ridiculous. The Tesla works everywhere that I've tested: intown and highway. Of course, it works much better on the highway.

So would I pay the $12k for it? Hell no. That's a ripoff. If your car gets totaled, Tesla no longer will let you "transfer" that to your new car. That's ridiculous. But would I pay the $200/month for it? I would do that but only when I would need it for long driving or vacation driving. Otherwise, the standard Autopilot is good enough for day to day driving.
Screenshot (230).png

Does Tesla have the reputation of raising monthly fees to current subscribers? I’m kind of counting on that not happening.
I have found it useful for the few times I have used it although it is nnot perfect and phantom stops is true.
I would say kinda. They raise my insurance every month based on driving record, which penalizes you plenty for the stupid car getting you into dangerous situations. Starlink has raised my monthly rate twice in a year. Early Tesla buyers who got low supercharging rates have seen them raised regularly. Tesla is in business to make money and a popular current sales tactic by many is a low introductory price and then hike the rates. So who knows. . . .

Reactions: aerodyne and 100d
What recall???

discussed here:

discussed here:

It’s just another OTA update, no big deal…

Reactions: 100d
Does Tesla have the reputation of raising monthly fees to current subscribers? I’m kind of counting on that not happening.
I have found it useful for the few times I have used it although it is nnot perfect and phantom stops is true.
FSD subscription price has been constant since it was fort offered. However, there is no guarantee that it will not go up (or down).