Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Announcement: Tesla AI Day Watch Party - Friday at 5:30PM PDT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
When will these Robots have self learning capabilities? Put a Robot on an obstacle course and have it learn as it goes
In completing an obstacle course the general rules can be learned by the Neural Net and the unit would make a decision of what to do along the way. This is an analogy of Beta driving and dealing with unknowable edge cases that Bata is doing (mostly OK) right now.

The biggest challenge of an obstacle corse would be the physical limitations of a Bot. It will likely be decades before a Bot could mimic all the physical activities (not just a subset) of a human.

Last edited:
I try to be a realist, but I admit I never let go of my childhood wonder, amazement, and hope for the future. So many jaded people in society today. Can't you look at something and feel excited anymore? I watched highlights from AI Day and felt giddy joy about what's coming, and the amazing time we live in. Will it be on time and on budget? Probably not (there's the realist coming out). But that doesn't take away the joy of seeing what Tesla has been able to accomplish in less than a year.

Try to remember and hold onto that joy you had as a kid - when you watched The Jetsons, Back to the Future, or Star Trek, and thought how amazing the future will be. Loosen up, don't be so bloody Prussian. :)

I try to be a realist, but I admit I never let go of my childhood wonder, amazement, and hope for the future. So many jaded people in society today. Can't you look at something and feel excited anymore? I watched highlights from AI Day and felt giddy joy about what's coming, and the amazing time we live in. Will it be on time and on budget? Probably not (there's the realist coming out). But that doesn't take away the joy of seeing what Tesla has been able to accomplish in less than a year.

Try to remember and hold onto that joy you had as a kid - when you watched The Jetsons, Back to the Future, or Star Trek, and thought how amazing the future will be. Loosen up, don't be so bloody Prussian. :)
That's not what the haters are saying. The jaded people are saying that we're looking at 20 years in the past. The state of the art in humanoid robots actually is pretty amazing (though still useless).
Nobody talks about how amazing the MX-30, Mazda's first electric car, is (and it actually serves a useful purpose!).

Six years ago:

Last edited:
Is someone controlling the Robot or is it making decisions on it's own and adapting to an ever changing environment
Watch the video.
If a method of remote controlling a humanoid robot existed that itself would be very valuable (it doesn't exist). You really have to have all the control systems be able to adapt to the environment. There's no way to preprogram due to all the random noise from motors and sensors (they mentioned this in the AI Day presentation).

That's not what the haters are saying. The jaded people are saying that we're looking at 20 years in the past. The state of the art in humanoid robots actually is pretty amazing (though still useless).
Nobody talks about how amazing the MX-30, Mazda's first electric car, is (and it actually serves a useful purpose!).

Six years ago:
Based purely on this forum, if Tesla can get the Optimus to reliably fetch them a beer from the kitchen, I think it would be a huge success and quite useful. :)

So I could hand the Robot a Snow Shovel and it would automatically know what to do without being preprogramed?
If that were possible even with a preprogrammed robot it would already be a successful product. If you see a human doing something that earns them money it's safe to assume that a robot cannot currently replace that humans job.
Based purely on this forum, if Tesla can get the Optimus to reliably fetch them a beer from the kitchen, I think it would be a huge success and quite useful. :)
That would be incredible. I'm pretty sure there is no robot that can do that (without failing so often that it makes it more trouble than it's worth).