Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "just ordered" post!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say there is as fix for this situation (generally).

I am in the process of getting from final plans to installation date. Based on a fair amount of what I would have to categorize as research, I think any problems can be headed off.

That's provided I know of them. That is the kicker.

My opinion/analysis is that Tesla Energy faces a tough choice.

Tesla charges only $100 bucks, and do what must be thousands of dollars of work, by employees who are likely not on commission, plus they front some permit fees which must exceed the $100.

That's quite an offer right there. In every other home improvement project of any kind, no one "fronts" anything.

The other choice they make is to try to handle the process from $100 to installation as efficiently as possible. What I have seen is that means quite a bit of work goes on without the knowledge of the customer. Emails are sent an exchanged with the city and the utility, and the customer is not copied on those.

Although in my case Los Angeles DWP has its own portal which purports to show progress on the same project. The Tesla portal is so general as to be useless in the design phase, and you can see from these boards there may be up to ten design critical steps folded into the "obtaining a permit" box. For its part, LADWP's progress is more accurate, but so technical you can't understand it.

Both portals are silent on exactly who owes what to whom.

Now, the alternative would be to copy the customer on every exchange. As a lawyer I do that. But that simply might make it cost prohibitive.

My neighbor used Sunrun, and did not have things move any faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Main Page - LADWP Electical Service Installation Status Tracker

If you know someone who has panels just plug in an address. It’s sort of like the building permit portal. There is no confidential info on it. But you can see how it’s detailed but not necessary that helpful

Thanks Southpasfan. I had solar that was installed in 2006, which does not show up. But, my panel updated from 2016 & 2017 does show up. Removed the solar 10 days ago for the reroof. Tesla is scheduled to install the PV and 2 PW on Sep. 1st.

Thanks Southpasfan. I had solar that was installed in 2006, which does not show up. But, my panel updated from 2016 & 2017 does show up. Removed the solar 10 days ago for the reroof. Tesla is scheduled to install the PV and 2 PW on Sep. 1st.

Cities have been coming into the digital age for online permitting, some slower than others. My guess would be your older work just hasn’t been updated from paper to digital yet.

I enjoy checking in on the community threads on the Supercharger locations and installs and in doing so it’s interesting to see how differently cities have approached providing the info. Some provide a wide range of permit info publicly, others not so much, and one of our nearby towns still requires in-person viewing, at least to the public. I’ve noticed many towns are using eTRAKiT software.

@frankg3 good luck on your install. Can’t wait until ours can be turned on. I’d say don’t expect things to happen overnight however. The design and completion of the electrical plan depends on the state of your current equipment (city required ours to be upgraded first), how complicated your electrical hookups will be, if any changes get made to the plan, and whether anything requires subsequent permit changes. They’ll handle all that mostly behind the scenes with the City and utility and sometimes without updates to you. Our area in Calif. has installers super busy and booked out with dates pretty far out right now. Designers busy as well. YMMV.

Last edited: