Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another nail, another day

What should I do about this nail close to the sidwall? Tires have 6-7/32nds life left.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some help deciding on how to go about this nail in my tire. Looks like a small screw and only losing 1-2 PSI every 6 days. Answer the poll please!

Attachments

• 20240125_082017.jpg
    20240125_082017.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 42
A tire shop is not going to patch that, its too close to the sidewall.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a nail in my tire that is within the patchable area, but my tire is below 3/32" of tread left, so the tire shop would not patch it. I'm also at almost 30k mi on my tires, so when I replace that one, I really should replace all 4.

I've been adding a few PSI of air every week since Thanksgiving and driven over 2,000 miles with the nail in the tire.

Reactions: Doublea88
A tire shop is not going to patch that, its too close to the sidewall.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a nail in my tire that is within the patchable area, but my tire is below 3/32" of tread left, so the tire shop would not patch it. I'm also at almost 30k mi on my tires, so when I replace that one, I really should replace all 4.

I've been adding a few PSI of air every week since Thanksgiving and driven over 2,000 miles with the nail in the tire.
I'm sure this nail is tiny and just causing a very minimal leak. I haven't had to add air yet as i'm at 36psi (I usually run 38 for comfort). Yes you are at the point to just get a whole set sooner than later. At 3/32nd, will be dangerous to drive in rain/snow this time of year.

Plug it. It will last the life of the tire and you will have no problems. Some shops actually *will* do it if you're punctured in an outer tread block, if you give them cash on the side. But by policy, they won't officially. These things don't fail, you're not gonna put yourself or anyone in danger. It's a quality tire with a hole in it. Worst case, it still leaks.

Last edited:
Monday I had the same thing happen to my Y with 6k miles on it. It was raining so hard here in CA and causing floods. I really wanted to patch it up but ended up just buying a whole new tire at discount tires. They didn’t have the exact tire and couldn’t give me a loaner. Had to wait 4hrs for them to get it at another location. So $330 dollars later….😑

IMG_9055.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: fiehlsport