Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Tire Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I suspect my passenger rear tire has a slow leak. I filled it a couple of times and the next day it would drop a couple of pounds. Last time I filled it to 43 when it was hot and the next day it was about 39 when it is cold. This happened twice. Keep in mind the other 3 tires don't experience this.

I felt all around the threads but couldn't feel a nail, screw or the sort.

I have a concern if I bring it to Big Tire or Tire America, raising the car either using the whole car lift or even a jack stand could damage the battery or something.

Should I be concerned? I did buy the hockey pucks. If they use a whole car lift, it would be proper handling to hockey pucks under there? Or are the hockey pucks needed only for single wheel jacking/raising?

Also, when checking the psi via the app or main screen, how often is the psi measured or refreshed? How can I trigger it?

Hi everyone,

I suspect my passenger rear tire has a slow leak. I filled it a couple of times and the next day it would drop a couple of pounds. Last time I filled it to 43 when it was hot and the next day it was about 39 when it is cold. This happened twice. Keep in mind the other 3 tires don't experience this.

I felt all around the threads but couldn't feel a nail, screw or the sort.
Could be a leaky valve. Could be a crack in the wheel. Just thinking out loud. Could still be a nail or such that you can't see or feel.

I have a concern if I bring it to Big Tire or Tire America, raising the car either using the whole car lift or even a jack stand could damage the battery or something.

Should I be concerned? I did buy the hockey pucks. If they use a whole car lift, it would be proper handling to hockey pucks under there? Or are the hockey pucks needed only for single wheel jacking/raising?
The pucks are needed if they have a floor jack or the car lift with arms. Tire places often have a lift flat on the ground with flat panels that lift the car just high enough for work on the tires and wheels. That type of life does not need the pucks.

Recently, I have found that most tire places understand the Tesla lift needs. One I use has floor jacks with rubber bumpers that work like the pucks.

Ask the technician to describe how they will lift the car. If you don't feel comfortable with what they say, offer the pucks or go to a different shop. Also, watch them do the work from a safe place.

Also, when checking the psi via the app or main screen, how often is the psi measured or refreshed? How can I trigger it?

It is refreshed after driving a short distance. It does not refresh while the car is parked.

Reactions: launchd
We had a very slow leak (~1 psi every 3 days) with my wife’s Model 3 and took it to our local tire store to have it repaired. They could not locate the leak even after a lot of searching using all the techniques. So I took the car to another tire store and they finally found the source of the leak, a cracked rim! I was surprised since my wife is very careful with her wheels (3rd-party TSS rims from T-Sportline) and she has not even curbed them let alone hit something hard. Nonetheless, the technician pointed out the crack on the inner portion of the wheel - it was very small and difficult to see due to its location. Since the wheel was well out of warranty (4 years) I had to buy a new one. At least it resolved the leak.

I've been driving for 55 years. Over that time, I've found that a slow leak can be due to a nail in the tread or, just as likely, a bad valve or the seal between the tire and the wheel could be bad. That las one has happened to me a number of times and it's a cheap, quick fix at any decent tire store or gas station that still has a mechanic

Reactions: SalisburySam