Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another PPF question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to wrap my future MSM LR with a Expel matte finish. Never had one done before so I’m learning.

I found a lot of great info on this forum. One outstanding question I have is how does this affect body shops repairing major dents. Every car I’ve had thus far (I keep them for 7-10 years) has had someone hit it while parked. Hence my question. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. I had a walk through explanation from a very reputable shop in town. His words were "auto body shops hate ceramic."

I would expect the PPF could be removed and then reapplied later. Maybe it is the ceramic that makes small paint repair more difficult.

I also have heard that most insurance companies will not reimburse for the cost of PPF repair / replacement.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. I had a walk through explanation from a very reputable shop in town. His words were "auto body shops hate ceramic."

I would expect the PPF could be removed and then reapplied later. Maybe it is the ceramic that makes small paint repair more difficult.

I also have heard that most insurance companies will not reimburse for the cost of PPF repair / replacement.
Ceramic coating and paint protection film are not the same thing.

OP, paint protection film in most cases will need to be removed in order to complete the body work.

Looking to wrap my future MSM LR with a Expel matte finish. Never had one done before so I’m learning.

I found a lot of great info on this forum. One outstanding question I have is how does this affect body shops repairing major dents. Every car I’ve had thus far (I keep them for 7-10 years) has had someone hit it while parked. Hence my question. Thanks in advance.
ppf with have to be replaced if you get body work done on the car, th eppf will protect to paint and most a re precut pieces so they are easy to replace on the car by the shop.

Reactions: SJROSSO
Ceramic coating and paint protection film are not the same thing.

OP, paint protection film in most cases will need to be removed in order to complete the body work.

Yeah, I realize they are not the same thing.

My point was that removing PPF from a damaged panel seems pretty easy compared to paint prep/work. I wouldn't think an auto-body shop would "hate PPF."

Anyone know if ceramic coatings make it more difficult to blend / feather paint work? I've heard it can be very difficult to remove the coating. If so, I could see it making a good paint repair difficult as well.

There's a good chance the paint wouldn't stick to the ceramic. All ceramics are slightly different and depending how they're applied, how new they are, etc etc etc. However, I do think I've seen videos showing how "great" someone's ceramic was by showing spray paint being applied to the vehicle, allowed to dry a few minutes, and then cleaned off with mild cleaners. Now that sure could cause a problem when having to repaint body work.

From my understanding to remove ceramic you need to wet sand. It's not a very thick layer (microns) but it bonds to the paint surface and just slowly wears away over time (maybe months in harsh conditions like parked outside in an area with blowing sand or years if babied in a garage in washed by hand)

Now what you can do is this, have paint protection film applied and then a ceramic coat on top. If you need major body work done such as a panel being repainted because of a large dent or scratch, then you would have that sheet of PPF removed (pulled off) and the ceramic would obviously be removed with it. Many would suggest you don’t NEED ceramic on top of PPF, which is probably right. PPF does have some hydrophobic properties (water will roll off etc) and some gloss boost, but ceramic on top of PPF is just that extra bit of slickness and gloss boost.

I’m sure it’s not worth the cost… unless you’re a nut job that loves to look at the car all the time and always wants it to look showroom nice. I specifically park toward the back of lots away from other cars and back into the spot because I like the look of that and want to avoid other cars that could scratch/ding. Always. 115F outside and I’ll walk from one of the furthest spots. Snowing out and bone chillingly cold, I’ll be parked way out there with no other car in sight…. So the cost was probably worth it in my situation ;)

Reactions: Gu$ G and SJROSSO