Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Tesla Insurance Rate Increase! Seriously Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Last year Tesla insurance raised the premium for my 2018 LR Model 3 saying that many people incorrectly received a Tesla employee discount. That really upset me at the time because it seems impossible that they wouldn't know we got the incorrect discount, and it wasn't on any of my insurance documents. Now I received an email showing yet another premium increase saying that a verified mileage enrollment discount was removed. WTF?! I don't even know what that means. My 4 year old car barely has over 22,000 miles on it, so it isn't driven all that much. Clearly Tesla insurance isn't saving me much anymore and I'm going to have to talk to my previous auto insurance company. At least in my State Tesla can't attach the Safety Score to my rates, which would almost certainly increase it even more because the algorithm isn't geared towards realistic driving conditions. Between this and Tesla stock dropping like a rock thanks to Elon and his Twitter crap, I'm so frustrated!

Last edited:
My 4 year old car barely has over 22,000 miles on it, so it isn't driven all that much.

For every other insurance company that has a verified mileage discount, it is a discount that is applied when your car is driven less than the national average, AND you respond to the insurance companies request to verify the mileage on your vehicle when they ask you to do so.

"What this means" is that either tesla didnt ask you to verify mileage, and you can get this discount back when you contact them and verify to them how many miles your car has on it, or they asked you and you didnt respond. It has zero to do with stock prices, or anything else.

I got my Model Y in May and have averaged a safety score of 96. My bill was roughly $65-67 per month. ALL OF SUDDEN, there was almost a 50% increase for Nov. and Dec! I called and they told me that it increased because I drove more miles than anticipated! I'm pissed! So basically, "enjoy your car" but don't!

Reactions: enemji
In California, Connect Insurance with Costco is a lot cheaper than Tesla Insurance. Found that out personally after speaking with a few neighbors who also switched. None is us know what the claim service is like but I bet it’s not worse than with Tesla. I’m hearing the same negative things with Tesla insurance as I do about Tesla service ever since Tesla took over from their 3rd party insurance partner.

For every other insurance company that has a verified mileage discount, it is a discount that is applied when your car is driven less than the national average, AND you respond to the insurance companies request to verify the mileage on your vehicle when they ask you to do so.

"What this means" is that either tesla didnt ask you to verify mileage, and you can get this discount back when you contact them and verify to them how many miles your car has on it, or they asked you and you didnt respond. It has zero to do with stock prices, or anything else.
I was able to speak to someone at Tesla Insurance and got clarification. Apparently they wanted everyone to keep the employee discount and the mileage discount but California won't allow it. Tesla won't accept the mileage from us, and only via the car but again, California won't allow it that way. Every other Auto insurance company in this State lets customer provide the annual mileage, except Tesla as they want the mileage to come from the car directly.

Does anyone have Tesla Insurance in California? I also received that email about removing the discount that I wasn't even aware o and I only do about 4,000 miles a year. My 2018 LR model 3 now has just over 10,000 miles on it. I have Tesla insurance for more than a year. At first it cost about $100/mo. I added my wife to the account and it went to $137/mo which was reasonable. Now I asked to remove her due to her being away for 7 months and I was told that the rate would increase to over $145/mo because we would no longer have the "marriage discount"! Can anyone explain the logic here other than wanting to make more money?

Does anyone have Tesla Insurance in California? I also received that email about removing the discount that I wasn't even aware o and I only do about 4,000 miles a year. My 2018 LR model 3 now has just over 10,000 miles on it. I have Tesla insurance for more than a year. At first it cost about $100/mo. I added my wife to the account and it went to $137/mo which was reasonable. Now I asked to remove her due to her being away for 7 months and I was told that the rate would increase to over $145/mo because we would no longer have the "marriage discount"! Can anyone explain the logic here other than wanting to make more money?
Did you read my post right above yours? lol

I never heard of this "marriage discount", but it's more likely you lost the two discounts we all lost in California, the Tesla employee discount and the verified mileage enrollment discount.

They become more and more greedy!
Tesla Insurance increased my premium from $134 to $153, and finally to $213 this January. The reason is "Safety Score decreased" which is currently 85 and was 76 when I first insured with them. Switched to Progressive for $126/month.

My rates have been decreasing since I picked up my MYP last November. Starting at the 90 base score @ $147.17 at pick up, now down to $106 that started in January. Upcoming premium is $94.67 for February and March based on a 99 average score.

• Love
I was able to speak to someone at Tesla Insurance and got clarification. Apparently they wanted everyone to keep the employee discount and the mileage discount but California won't allow it. Tesla won't accept the mileage from us, and only via the car but again, California won't allow it that way. Every other Auto insurance company in this State lets customer provide the annual mileage, except Tesla as they want the mileage to come from the car directly.
I just got bit by this on 2/3/23. Called Tesla Insurance today and they stated that California won't allow them to access the vehicle to receive the mileage, and they don't accept it manually. Rate went from $139 per month to $194 per month for a 2021 Model Y.

RT

Here’s a nice app that helps with monitoring centrifugal acceleration in real time. I’m no longer getting dinged so much for aggressive turning.
9DFB9F15-542A-4E6A-A607-7825A96D43FF.png

I just got bit by this on 2/3/23. Called Tesla Insurance today and they stated that California won't allow them to access the vehicle to receive the mileage, and they don't accept it manually. Rate went from $139 per month to $194 per month for a 2021 Model Y.
Yep, Tesla really needs to change their policy on this and allow us to manually give them the mileage like every other insurance company in California does. They will lose customers here if they don't change it, I'm already looking at other insurance companies.

Yes, if your safety score goes up then your premium will go up. That was the point of Tesla using the Safety Score. If it goes down then your premium should also go down.
If your safety score increases then your premium should decrease, and vice versa. The higher the safety score the lower the premium.

On another note, I’ve been consistently hitting a 100 streak now that I’ve successfully hacked aggressive turning.

Reactions: Resist
Given Tesla’s poor customer service why would anyone consider Tesla insurance? I mean, good luck if you even need to talk to them.

Also, most companies have a base rate and offer a discount for good driving. Tesla starts with a base rate and then penalizes you for “poor” driving. No surprise to see rates go up.
I actually filed a claim for minor damage the MYP sustained recently but decided to close the claim and come out of pocket since the repair cost was low and it was taken care of right away. A non issue. I was able to talk to a Tesla insurance rep via phone and email. No issues.

If you’re a habitual safe driver I don’t see a problem with how Tesla adjusts their rates.