Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Red, check out the almost same car at "Current Automotive" ( 2015 S85 with 21K miles and $45K) and the message out there is that third party or dealers sales make it impossible to get an extended warranty from Tesla ( and you really should have one !) . However, here is a new twist on extended warranties for electric cars.
Xcelerate to sell third-party warranties for EVs including Teslas | Reuters

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and XCare EV
Ok, I checked out that link. Although I really love red, that does seem like a good deal on the blue one! However, do you think I should go back as far as 2015? I heard that it’s better sensors/hardware or a better auto pilot; 2016 and beyond? Is it really a big difference??? My apologies for all the questions! I feel like I’ve never researched more for a car in my life!! Lol I’ve been reading for a week& feel I still know nothing!!

Similar situation with a 2018 S. Carfax shows no accidents and was sold at auction. Price is very low for a 2018 with low miles. After researching just on the internet, I found the vehicle was an Enterprise rental and had been side swiped in California and was sold at auction. Just guessing, I pulled up last known Carfax location and searched Manheim auctions based on the date listed on Carfax. I found the vehicle, pictures and complete listing showing the damage done to the left side. The front fender above the front wheel was dented and the rear fender above the rear wheel was dented as well. Looking at all the pictures, it does not appear to be any other damage. The dealer wanted to know how I was able to obtain the pictures and auction information, which I never told him. The car is in the body shop and should be out this week for inspection. So, with that being said, Carfax doesn't tell all. I am looking at a CPO with 13,000 miles with 4/50,000 and loaded as a back up if not sold with
yesla 1.jpg
in the next couple days.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Ok, I checked out that link. Although I really love red, that does seem like a good deal on the blue one! However, do you think I should go back as far as 2015? I heard that it’s better sensors/hardware or a better auto pilot; 2016 and beyond? Is it really a big difference??? My apologies for all the questions! I feel like I’ve never researched more for a car in my life!! Lol I’ve been reading for a week& feel I still know nothing!!
The 2015 has Autopilot 1, same as the 2016 you're considering. They actually look the same. That link from @commasign is really helpful to understand the changes since model year doesn't mean much with a Tesla.

Reactions: commasign
Omg!’ Wow! This is all great information& I’m so sorry to hear that!! Gosh, talk about not even having a peace of mind with a “clean carfax”! I’ve been looking at the CPOs, but the process seems to be a little long!? I’ve had someone reach out to me, however not sure how quickly I would be able to get the vehicle and I’ve heard that sometimes the vehicles have aesthetic issues not always noted? I hate not being able to see the car before taking ownership!?

I really like the red one but I don’t know about a 2015??

The 2015 has Autopilot 1, same as the 2016 you're considering. They actually look the same. That link from @commasign is really helpful to understand the changes since model year doesn't mean much with a Tesla.
Ok, that makes perfect sense! I will review it further! I was wondering about the advanced/enhanced autopilot after 2016 models? My cousin has one & mentioned this but she’s more clueless than me!! Lol

@RedLoubs&wine, this car has the black plastic nosecone. That means it was manufactured before 12 Apr 2016 because that's when Tesla stopped making the nosecone version. Looking at the VIN ~122,900, I estimate that it was manufactured on 21st January 2016.

This is the rear-wheel-drive Model S 75, not the AWD 75D. It means this car is comparable to the Model 3 Mid-Range because both cars are rear-wheel-drive and both have similar range numbers. Here is my comparison:

1. This car has 11 months left on the warranty compared to 4 years for a new Model 3 MR.
  2. Model S 75 has 214 miles range at 75 mph when new compared to 233 for the Model 3 MR. See the table here.
  3. This Model S 75 has Autopilot 1.0 hardware with a single camera. Model 3 MR has Autopilot 2.5 hardware with 7 cameras and a liquid cooled faster Autopilot computer.
  4. Model S 75 has a slower touchscreen computer. The touchscreen in Model S/X was upgraded to Model 3 quality on 14 March 2018. See the article here.
  5. This Model S 75 has the plastic nosecone which was discontinued on 12 April 2016. See the article here. Therefore this is a dead giveaway that this is an older Model S. Some people consider the plastic nosecone uncool. Model 3 doesn't have this issue.
  6. This Model S 75 has the metal roof instead of the all-glass roof or the sliding panoramic glass roof. That means you won't be able to attach a roof rack. Model S with sliding panoramic roof (pano roof) supports roof racks. Until now the all-glass version didn't support roof racks but Tesla has just announced a retrofit that enables roof racks for all-glass Model S. Details can be found here. However, this doesn't help with this specific car because it has the metal roof. The Model 3 supports roof racks.
  7. It doesn't seem like this car has Autopilot enabled because it's not mentioned anywhere. You would have to pay $2,000 penalty to enable it now for $7,000 instead of $5,000.
  8. This Model S 75 won't support Sentry Mode, Blind Support Chime or 'Navigate on Autopilot' even if you purchase the $7,000 Autopilot option because these features require Autopilot 2.0 or newer hardware. The Model 3 MR will have those options if you purchase Autopilot.
  9. This S75 without Autopilot costs $45,000. In comparison, a new Model 3 MR without AP costs $42,900, plus you will get $3,750 back in federal tax credits. That lowers the price to $39,150. You would be paying $5,850 more.
For those reasons, a Model 3 MR might be a better choice.

Last edited:
@RedLoubs&wine, this car has the black plastic nosecone. That means it was manufactured before 12 Apr 2016 because that's when Tesla stopped making the nosecone version. Looking at the VIN ~122,900, I estimate that it was manufactured on 21st January 2016.

This is the rear-wheel-drive Model S 75, not the AWD 75D. It means this car is comparable to the Model 3 Mid-Range because both cars are rear-wheel-drive and both have similar range numbers. Here is my comparison:

1. This car has 11 months left on the warranty compared to 4 years for a new Model 3 MR.
  2. Model S 75 has 214 miles range at 75 mph when new compared to 233 for the Model 3 MR. See the table here.
  3. This Model S 75 has Autopilot 1.0 hardware with a single camera. The Model 3 MR has Autopilot 2.5 hardware with 7 cameras and a liquid cooled faster computer.
  4. Model S 75 has a slower touchscreen. The touchscreen in Model S/X was upgraded to Model 3 quality on 14 March 2018. See the article here.
  5. This Model S 75 has the plastic nosecone which was discontinued on 12 April 2016. See the article here. Therefore this is a dead giveaway that this is an older Model S. Some people consider the plastic nosecone uncool. Model 3 doesn't have this issue.
  6. This Model S 75 has the metal roof instead of the all-glass roof or the sliding panoramic glass roof. That means you won't be able to attach a roof rack. Model S with sliding panoramic roof (pano roof) supports roof racks. Until now the all-glass version didn't support roof racks but Tesla has just announced a retrofit that enables roof racks for all-glass Model S. Details can be found here. However, this doesn't help with this specific car because it has the metal roof. The Model 3 supports roof racks.
  7. This Model S 75 won't support Sentry Mode, Blind Support Chime or 'Navigate on Autopilot' even if you purchase the $7,000 Autopilot option because these features require Autopilot 2.0 or newer hardware. The Model 3 MR will have those options if you purchase Autopilot.
  8. It doesn't seem like this car has Autopilot enabled because it's not mentioned anywhere. You would have to pay $2,000 penalty to enable it now for $7,000 instead of $5,000.
  9. This S75 without Autopilot costs $45,000. In comparison, a new Model 3 MR without AP costs $42,900, plus you will get $3,750 back in federal tax credits. That lowers the price to $39,150. You would be paying $5,850 more.
For those reasons, a Model 3 MR might be a better choice.
OMG! That breakdown was absolutely AMAZING!! Do you work for Tesla? Wow! Ok, now you’re certainly giving me something to think about! So you mentioned the autopilot hardware 2.0. How do I know which model S has 2.0 hardware? I really wish I liked the way the model 3 looked. I have several neighbors that own them, and although very nice. I personally just like the look of the model S more! I don’t know why? I wish I didn’t, because ALL of your points are extremely valid!

Are those additional auto pilot hardware 2.0 features worth it?

OMG! That breakdown was absolutely AMAZING!! Do you work for Tesla? Wow! Ok, now you’re certainly giving me something to think about! So you mentioned the autopilot hardware 2.0. How do I know which model S has 2.0 hardware? I really wish I liked the way the model 3 looked. I have several neighbors that own them, and although very nice. I personally just like the look of the model S more! I don’t know why? I wish I didn’t, because ALL of your points are extremely valid!

I understand what you are saying about the looks of a Model S over a Model 3. When it comes to auto pilot, as far as I can tell that car has auto pilot 1 hardware that has not been activated, so, probably $1,000 at least to activate that. Probably need to check with Tesla.

You don't have to explain what you like. Color, model, options, etc. Personally I LOVE the looks of the S and not the 3. I also LOVE the size of the S and not the 3. For me, either one of those is a deal breaker so I'd much rather pay less for a used S than a new 3. Don't feel pushed into anything you don't want from anyone to include this forum. If you want a used Model S in red buy one. Get what you want.

Ok, now you’re certainly giving me something to think about! So you mentioned the autopilot hardware 2.0. How do I know which model S has 2.0 hardware?

It depends on the date of manufacture. All Model S that have the nosecone have either no Autopilot or Autopilot 1.0. Here is a chart:
QDxzjRx.jpg

Tesla regularly releases software updates every couple of months or so. For example, a few days ago they released Sentry Mode and Dog Mode. You might feel left out if you have the AP1.0 hardware. AP1.0 development has finished. There are no new features expected to be released for AP1.0. However, Tesla is currently working on 'Fully Self Driving'. For example, they are expected to release traffic lights recognition. Currently, 'Navigate on Autopilot' requires manual approval for lane changes. They are working on removing the approvals. Generally speaking, each time Tesla releases a big feature, it creates a big excitement.

Another important detail is that AP2.0 and AP2.5 will be able to upgrade to AP3.0 when it's released soon but AP1.0 won't. AP3.0 is expected to have a computer that's 10 times more powerful than the current AP2.5.

Last edited:
I’m headed to test drive the Tesla now. However, just spoke with Tesla; about a used CPO model S. It just seems that Tesla’s are listed for so much more than 3rd party dealers.
However, I do love the peace of mind I would be getting with it!! I think it would be worth it the more I’m reading!? Unless anyone has heard good reviews about the extended warranty company out of Texas?

Reactions: XCare EV