Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally would consider a car that has been wrecked and repaired (or even wrecked and still not repaired) for the right price. In other words, I wouldn't pay wrecked/repaired price for a car that has been wrecked and still hasn't been repaired. I wouldn't pay clean history price for a car that has been wrecked/repaired. For me it's all a financial consideration and if the repairs were done properly and the selling price reflects the fact that you'll have to sell for slightly less at some point than a car that has never been wrecked I'm good. What worries me is when a seller or dealer knows of damage and does NOT disclose it in an intentional effort to deceive and sell for more money which means I will lose more money down the road when it comes time to resell. If the person you're dealing with is being honest and up front about any damage, the repairs were done right and the price reflects all of this then I would go for it if it's exactly what you're looking for. If that's the case it would end up being everything you're looking for at a lower price than you had budgeted or expected to pay. Don't reach though and pay what you'd pay for a perfect car because of emotions.

Also, along the same topic, just because a car has a clean Carfax doesn't mean it's never been in an accident. It just means that an accident wasn't reported by the repair shop and this is the case more often than not these days. Don't pull a Carfax and then say the car hasn't ever been in an accident when it comes back clean. It's your duty to examine every car you buy carefully and not rely on what a vehicle history report says. If it comes up with an accident to a portion of the car it just means you need to examine this part even closer to make sure repairs were done properly. Too many people put all of their faith in a clean vehicle history report.
That does make complete sense! They were up front about the accident however she’s asking 52 K without an extended warranty& it only has AP 1.0. Which I’ve seen cars come across Tesla’s used site for that price but it also comes with the 4 year warranty and supposedly they all have clean titles from my understanding!
I’ve also see. 2.0 vehicles in the lower 50’s as well but just wasn’t the color I was looking for! I actually had a member send me one that I would’ve surely pulled the trigger if it was red!
I’m starting to get the impression the 2016 /red market is dwendling down! But I don’t know that just my observation within the last couple of months I’ve been looking. I had so many more options.
But in the same breath I also knew so much less two months ago, hence I feel I’ve slowly started to get more selective in the options I’d like!! Which makes it more difficult than just a red Tesla with black seats!! Lol
You certainly correct about reaching and paying more just b/c if emotions! That’s why I have to run these cars by you guys b/c I do have a tendency to do that! As well as you guys knowing if I’m paying too much for a car that has had a fender bender/more for a car that the well informed Tesla lover would pay!
As always that’s so much again and I will keep you all posted!!

Last edited:
Somebody find this girl her ideal car lol
Lol! You guys are awesome! I feel so pesky sometimes! I should’ve just stayed naive & continued looking for a red Tesla with black interior! I blame you guys...Lol;-)...you guys have educated me way too much about Tesla’s! (Which I appreciate being an informed buyer;-)I found myself telling some people about their own car& they just look at me with a blank stare& ask again; do you have a Tesla!?!? LOL
But I’m patient....I can feel it coming ;-)!

It’s funny that those of us on the hunt for a Tesla, who also happen to frequent this forum, can become more educated about the cars than some of the more casual Tesla owners out there. I have a friend with both a Model S and Model X who definitely knows less about his cars than I do.

• Funny
Reactions: erik_k
How much extra you willing to pay for Red?

This looks like it has everything you want at a very fair price.

FS: 2016 (Facelifted) S75D
I know! I really would like red...esp since I let so many other colors for great prices slip through my fingers! I wasn’t going to sale my X6 but found a buyer who’s already given me a deposit and planning on picking it up this weekend! Not the exact price I wanted but certainly fair;-)! I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime but would really like a red Tesla instead in my near future!!;-)
How ridiculous would it be to get it painted!?? Lol
I would definitely jump on that if it was red!! I agree! It is a fair price!!

I know! I really would like red...esp since I let so many other colors for great prices slip through my fingers! I wasn’t going to sale my X6 but found a buyer who’s already given me a deposit and planning on picking it up this weekend! Not the exact price I wanted but certainly fair;-)! I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime but would really like a red Tesla instead in my near future!!;-)
How ridiculous would it be to get it painted!?? Lol
I would definitely jump on that if it was red!! I agree! It is a fair price!!
Complete paint job would be a bit pricey.

Another solution would be a Vinyl Wrap. Here's a link to one that was wrapped in Red.

2017 Model S 90D - 19,961mi - vinyl wrap, wheels, options, excel. cond. - Ohio

Or just go all in on this new inventory car. It's Red all your wants and 67K after tax credit.

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E27JF278029 | Tesla
Gosh! I would LOVE that one... One of the fellow TMC gurus sent me that one!! I would love to but have already pushed my budget more than planned for my commuter car!!;-) If only it was a little more in the ballpark I’m looking I would certainly entertain the idea!!!
As always....Thanks so much!!

That’s something to think about! Ok, maybe a stupid question but female here...but in terms of practically..would you do that? I honestly didn’t even know what it was until starting to research...this one above looks really nice!!!
If I were still in the market I think I'd buy the new car. When I bought my 2016 75D it had most of the equipment this car has but not all and it's AP2.0 instead of 2.5. New inventory cars at that time were more like mid 70K after tax credit. But you need to move fast. Red is popular color and Elon had announced inventory cars will have price increase on I think April 2nd. I can't imagine you not being thrilled with that car.

If I were still in the market I think I'd buy the new car. When I bought my 2016 75D it had most of the equipment this car has but not all and it's AP2.0 instead of 2.5. New inventory cars at that time were more like mid 70K after tax credit. But you need to move fast. Red is popular color and Elon had announced inventory cars will have price increase on I think April 2nd. I can't imagine you not being thrilled with that car.
Trust me...I certainly would love to buy this new one. Even if I would’ve made some money off of the sale of my car I would consider it. I’m 100% certain I would be more than thrilled with that new MS, but not with my payments! Lol I still love to travel & shop & I would hate to have to cut back on those just for a car; when in theory I could get a car that would serve the same purpose & essentially look the same!
I would imagine, esp if I settled for an AP2 car I would be trading it in in a few years anyhow!?
But of course if I got that shiny brand new one I wouldn’t! But trust me, I certainly would love to!!!!! Maybe in a few more years when I’m in a different place in life I’ll pull that trigger!!
Price increase....that’s only on new car correct? B/c the couldn’t keep up with demand?
As always much appreciation for looking out and all of your insight!!

I have started the waiting game, now that we have sold our main car. This leads me to say, I am undecided on what style I would like to buy, or what would be the best model to pursue.

Option 1.
2015 85D ($40,000)
  • 4yr Warranty
  • SAS
  • Next Gen Interior
  • AP1
  • Maybe 21s
Option 2
2016 75D ($45,000)
  • 4yr Warranty
  • Next Gen Interior
  • AP1
  • SAS *Maybe - not a necessity
I love the updated front look, however, may take a while for them to drop to 45k. I am planning on buying with 19s and using them for a winter set and purchasing some 21" turbines, since there is an abundance available. I have attached photos of the two styles.

Anyone know major differences in battery and/if degradation is/has happened?
Any advice?

I guess these are the two styles I am aiming for..
upload_2019-3-26_20-59-43.png

upload_2019-3-26_20-59-57.png

*Yes these arent the actual cars, just the body style/rim combination.

Last edited:
Did you see this one? Not a D, but color’s right and super low miles, basically new.

2016 Red Model S for sale in SoCal, super low miles, $47,000
I did see this one! I would at least like to have AP 1.0, esp at that price point b/c all the CPO cars have At least that as well as 4 year warranty. I also would at least like a sunroof& PUP; at the bare minimum. Doesn’t have to be a D but at least 75. I’m not too concerned about mileage.
I’d personally rather have a car with more miles on it but at least PUP, sunroof, warranty, and at least 75 battery already enabled at that price point. I’m trying to be patient!!
But much much appreciation for looking out!! Almost there!!

I did see this one! I would at least like to have AP 1.0, esp at that price point b/c all the CPO cars have At least that as well as 4 year warranty. I also would at least like a sunroof& PUP; at the bare minimum. Doesn’t have to be a D but at least 75. I’m not too concerned about mileage.
I’d personally rather have a car with more miles on it but at least PUP, sunroof, warranty, and at least 75 battery already enabled at that price point. I’m trying to be patient!!
But much much appreciation for looking out!! Almost there!!

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E2XGF157150 | Tesla

Red 75D $48k

Hey Guys!!
It’s me again!! I think I have found my car!!!! I’m super excited! I will post a link and you guys can give me any suggestions/let me know what you think!?
You guys have been nothing short of AMAZING, and I truly do feel as if I’m making an informed purchase!!! I hope I’ll be driving my new Tesla back home today!!
As always MUCH APPRECIATION for ALL of you guys’ help!! I’ll keep you posted!!
I’ll post the link below!

Hey Guys!!
It’s me again!! I think I have found my car!!!! I’m super excited! I will post a link and you guys can give me any suggestions/let me know what you think!?
You guys have been nothing short of AMAZING, and I truly do feel as if I’m making an informed purchase!!! I hope I’ll be driving my new Tesla back home today!!
As always MUCH APPRECIATION for ALL of you guys’ help!! I’ll keep you posted!!
I’ll post the link below!
Great news. Congratulations can't wait for all the details.