Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any advise on purchasing a used Tesla from the experts;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just undecided between what I want. Puchasing in next month - but willing to wait for the right car.
My situation is the following:
1st EV I will own, and most likely own for around 4 years or more, maybe pass on to the wife and we will upgrade to a new one (with anticipation of substancial increase of income to come in 2021). Live in Seattle, daily driver, 16miles RT, and also trips to mountains and road trips down the coast to see family.

Option 1:
2015 70D (around 40k)
Options: SAS, Next Gen, >50k, AP1, S/C Maybe 21" wheels w/19" set for winter tires.
Future Purchases: De Chrome + 21" used Tesla OEM, Maybe Front Fascia upgrade
Example (No SAS) $41k

Option 2:
2015 85D (around 45k)
Options: SAS, Next Gen, Pano, S/C AP1, 21" wheels w/19" set for winter tires.
Future Purchases: De Chrome + 21" used Tesla OEM
Example (19" wheels) $48k

Option 3:
2016.5 75D (around 46-50k)
Options: SAS, Next Gen, Pano, S/C
Example (No SAS) $47k
Example

Option 4:
New Model 3 SR+ (45k = $41,250 + gas savings)
Options: EAP, FSD
Future Purchases: New Wheels and lowered coils

Option 5:
2016 75D Unicorn (50-55k)
Options: AP2

Remarks:
Prefer MS over M3 for the following reasons:
Style - want bigger car for transporting family + dogs. Options of SAS, and prefer Vertical MCU > horiziontal. Finally, lack of Free SC
However, Ap 2.5 has its perks.
Really like the updated fron fascia, but not sure if its worth the extra $, or If I should retro fit it myself. (T-Sportsline etc). Or just De-Chrome the front, which should eliminate a lot of it, if I have black - I love the look of this one
Not sure if its worth 10k+ for AP2.0

Last edited:
I have posted my horrible experience under the thread "Ridiculous "cpo" buying experience". I ordered a supposedly CPO MS 75D from them. You can read it for more details. This was by far the worst car buying experience for me, and I have bought a lot of cars in the past.
Besides being ignored by my sales advisor and everybody else at tesla for weeks I finally took delivery of the vehicle. It had deep huge scratches on the bumper that was not on the dropbox pictures, likely happened after the pictures were taken. They tried to say they were not going to fix it. After a bit of back and worth they agreed to do it. I'm glad they did because it was not repairable and the whole front fascia needed replaced.
The day I took delivery the batteries in the key fob were low (error message on the dash). This can't be missed by anyone who powered on the car, yet they gave me the car like this, I had to call upon that and waste another 20min for them to get the batteries replaced. Headlights aim was off, could not see anything at night, windshield wipers leave a streak on the windshield, slacker/internet radio was not working. rear tires will need replace soon.
2 days after taking delivery an error message came on the dashboard saying the car might shut off unexpectedly and not restart. Good for me I live about 1.5hrs away from service center so I was able to take it there the next week. Coolant heater was replaced, antenna for internet/sat radio was replaced, they corrected the headlights aim.
Besides the fact that the sales advisor and everyone predelivery treated me like crap, the car itself was a mess. And of course you cant test drive before you pay them in full. The delivery team and service team were great on the other hand.
The lesson here is those "CPO's" are just used cars with extended warranties. Can't wait for the new mercedes EQC, audi already has the etron, jag the i pace. Once Tesla realizes they have competitors maybe they will change but for now they don't care. Apparently the demand for their vehicles is high so they have the "if you don't buy it someone else will" type of mind

Reactions: Pismo
Try this link instead.
It is for $51k with 30k miles on it.
Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus
That worked great! As well as not the cat I was looking at! Gosh that one would be prefect if it was another color...but still something to consider!???
I am just undecided between what I want. Puchasing in next month - but willing to wait for the right car.
1st EV I will own, and most likely own for around 4 years or more, maybe pass on to the wife and we will upgrade to a new one (with anticipation of substancial increase of income to come in 2021). Live in Seattle, daily driver, 16miles RT, and also trips to mountains and road trips down the coast to see family.

Option 1:
2015 70D (around 40k)
Options: SAS, Next Gen, >50k, AP1, S/C Maybe 21" wheels w/19" set for winter tires.
Example (No SAS) $41k

Option 2:
2015 85D (around 45k)

Option 3:
Example (No SAS) $47k
Example

Option 4:

Option 5:

Remarks:
Style - want bigger car for transporting family + dogs. Options of SAS, and prefer Vertical MCU > horiziontal. Finally, lack of Free SC
Really like the updated fron fascia, but not sure if its worth the extra $, or If I should retro fit it myself. (T-Sportsline etc). Or just De-Chrome the front, which should eliminate a lot of it, if I have black - I love the look of this one

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E19GF165411
I don’t know if this is the unicorn you’re looking for but it’s a 2016 with a new fascia & AP 2.0!! Also it comes with Tesla 4 year warranty!! I wouldn’t hesitate on it if it was red & only @ $46 K!!!! But I really really want red!!

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E19GF165411
I don’t know if this is the unicorn you’re looking for but it’s a 2016 with a new fascia & AP 2.0!! Also it comes with Tesla 4 year warranty!! I wouldn’t hesitate on it if it was red & only @ $46 K!!!! But I really really want red!!

Only issue is, this is RWD, looking for AWD.

Does anyone know a link of website to see price tracking? I used EV-CPO, however, now it is using the classic and now goes straight to hunter, so price history isnt available (from what I can tell)

EDIT: Thanks CPO

Last edited:
Does anyone know a link of website to see price tracking? I used EV-CPO, however, now it is using the classic and now goes straight to hunter, so price history isnt available (from what I can tell)

Click on the "$" in the listings for price tracking:

upload_2019-3-7_14-28-58.png

Only issue is, this is RWD, looking for AWD.

EDIT: Thanks CPO
Oh shoot! Well I’ll keep my eye out & if it’s one I feel might be a good deal...I’ll be sure to try & post it with “actual” pictures;-) As I’m still on the hunt!;-)

Hi,
Just saw your post. I live north of Seattle and just bought a 2015 70D last month after looking through numerous options. Have you done a test drive? If you feel like chatting or need some help making a decision feel free to reach out. A number of members here were generous with their time with me and I am happy to pay it back.

Option 1:
2015 70D (around 40k)
Example (No SAS) $41k

Option 2:
2015 85D (around 45k)

Option 3:
Example (No SAS) $47k
Example

Option 4:

Option 5:

Remarks:

Hi,
Just saw your post. I live north of Seattle and just bought a 2015 70D last month after looking through numerous options. Have you done a test drive? If you feel like chatting or need some help making a decision feel free to reach out. A number of members here were generous with their time with me and I am happy to pay it back.
That would be awesome!! It gets so difficult, primarily because I’ve learned so much on this forum!! Which has been amazing! But Im starting to think if I would’ve stayed somewhat naive to all of these options the decision would not be so hard!
However, I’m happy to be more than informed ( which is in my nature) and am optimistic I will run across my particular unicorn!
Hence, I would love to chat about my options and how realistic they are to obtain sooner rather than later!!
Much much appreciation in advanced!

That would be awesome!! It gets so difficult, primarily because I’ve learned so much on this forum!! Which has been amazing! But Im starting to think if I would’ve stayed somewhat naive to all of these options the decision would not be so hard!
However, I’m happy to be more than informed ( which is in my nature) and am optimistic I will run across my particular unicorn!
Hence, I would love to chat about my options and how realistic they are to obtain sooner rather than later!!
Much much appreciation in advanced!
Sent you a PM. Feel free to ask questions via message or here

I am having the red with black interior shipped I ran in AutoCheck and got the car fax from Tesla all came back clean 5YJSA1H11FF086678 what was the issue with the red model s
Ok guys! The search is still on!! What are your thoughts on this particular Tesla?? In comparison the other one that was similar, however this one appears to have been taken care of a little better?

2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H11FF086678 | False, Fa | Tesla
I am having the red with black interior shipped I ran in AutoCheck and got the car fax from Tesla all came back clean 5YJSA1H11FF086678 what was the issue with this car it arrives in the next couple days I paid 40800.00 I haven't signed anything yet.

If it makes you feel better, ALM, (the company selling the car) seems legit. Ran into a guy at the service center this week who bought a Black P90D from them. He took it to the Atlanta Service Center for a check up and to a Body shop to look for any past damage. Every checked out fine and he loves his car.

If it makes you feel better, ALM, (the company selling the car) seems legit. Ran into a guy at the service center this week who bought a Black P90D from them. He took it to the Atlanta Service Center for a check up and to a Body shop to look for any past damage. Every checked out fine and he loves his car.
Several people on this forum (myself included) have had the exact opposite experience with ALM. I wouldn't deal with them regardless of the deal.

Several people on this forum (myself included) have had the exact opposite experience with ALM. I wouldn't deal with them regardless of the deal.
Ostrichsak,
You mentioned this to me and I was concerned; although I didn’t purchase a car from them; however one of the cars which I believe is still listed on their site “was sold” when I arrived to look at it? (Disappointing) It all seem quite sketchy to me because the car stayed online as available for weeks thereafter! Hence, the very little experience I had with them wasn’t the best, since it was a waste of time!
I’m sure some people have probably had a great experience with them, because it was a large dealership and I do see cars purchasrd from them in the Atlanta area. Hence, I do feel as if you have to do what’s best for you! I found the prices to be comparable with Tesla’s, however you don’t get the warranty! Just something to think about! What’s the advantage of getting it from ALM??
Although, one advantage is to be able to test drive and actually see the vehicle in person if that’s important to you!
I’m here in Atlanta and I don’t know a ton about Tesla’s other than what you all have enlightened me on, however I’m available to go and see a car in person if anyone needs it!
Happy shopping!
Also, I think I might have found a car I’m going to pull the trigger on! Just really really debating on if 2.0 is really worth it! Since a black one came across UNDER my budget recently !!Ugh!

Ostrichsak,
You mentioned this to me and I was concerned; although I didn’t purchase a car from them; however one of the cars which I believe is still listed on their site “was sold” when I arrived to look at it? (Disappointing) It all seem quite sketchy to me because the car stayed online as available for weeks thereafter! Hence, the very little experience I had with them wasn’t the best, since it was a waste of time!
I’m sure some people have probably had a great experience with them, because it was a large dealership and I do see cars purchasrd from them in the Atlanta area. Hence, I do feel as if you have to do what’s best for you! I found the prices to be comparable with Tesla’s, however you don’t get the warranty! Just something to think about! What’s the advantage of getting it from ALM??
Although, one advantage is to be able to test drive and actually see the vehicle in person if that’s important to you!
I’m here in Atlanta and I don’t know a ton about Tesla’s other than what you all have enlightened me on, however I’m available to go and see a car in person if anyone needs it!
Happy shopping!
Also, I think I might have found a car I’m going to pull the trigger on! Just really really debating on if 2.0 is really worth it! Since a black one came across UNDER my budget recently !!Ugh!
The other MASSIVE downside to buying from a used car dealership is the incredible risk you take with a car that has been wrecked, rebuilt, salvaged or otherwise compromised. Often times a history check, test drive or even careful inspection may not reveal this checkered past.

In my experience, shopping for used a Model S in the $40-$50k+ price range, it seems that the percentage of this being the case at a used car dealership is alarmingly high. Often times it's not easy to find even if you do your due diligence due to intentional deception and omission. There's is, after all, a LOT of motivation for a dealer/salesperson to hide this from you and convince you it's the greatest car ever.

For every person like me, yourself and the few others that have posted much negativity about ALM specifically there is 1,000 sheep that will simply stumble into a car dealership, find the car they never knew they needed and slurp up whatever the salesperson is peddling all while volunteering their monthly payment budget of "around $2,000" hoping they can "get financing done" because banks hate financing upside down cars to people who clearly don't understand finance as it makes it difficult to recoup their investment once they repo.