Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any down side to buying a “Tesla Fleet Vehicle” with a couple thousand miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020. AWD model 3. FSD, 19 inch wheels etc. It was a demo. Not a loaner.

Thank you.

While those words "demo" and "loaner" mean one thing to you, that doesnt mean it means the same thing to them. What does "demo" mean to you for example? What does "fleet" car mean to you?

I will give you a BMW example because thats the brand I am most familiar with processes of, other than tesla. BMW had dealer loaner cars, "brass hat" executive cars (cars driven by BMW executives at their office in New Jersey), "press" cars sent to the press as review vehicles, and also cars that people drove at their performance centers for M driving classes.

The executive demos, press cars, and M school cars were all called "fleet" cars. An executive demo car was a great deal, because they were normally loaded cars with under 5k miles. The M school cars were considered to be horrible deals, because they were "ridden very hard" living their 3-4k miles on a track, being driven very hard. All were bought at BMW auctions by dealers and then re sold, usually as new because they had not been titled.

People who were "deal hunting" would sometimes happen upon those M school cars, and see a pretty loaded BMW M3 / M4 / M5 with 3500 or 4200 miles for a healthy discount, and say "oh man I can get a BMW M car for XXX price and it only has 3k miles on it! what a deal!"... not knowing that those 3k miles were super hard miles.

Point being, how the car is driven is just as important as how many miles, especially when dealing with very low mileage cars. We are fairly certain that tesla "loaner" cars are usually cars that were given out while people were getting service, etc. Fairly known history, even if a few may have flogged them, not likely everyone did that. Does "fleet" mean "car rag demo car"? Those would likely be flogged harder because thats what car rags do when they demo cars.

What is a "demo"? If it was sitting in a showroom, it would have almost no miles, not a couple thousand. Questions I would ask myself, but everyone is different, right? Maybe you dont care, but I think you do since you said a couple times "its a demo, not a loaner" so for YOU those words mean something... but are you sure they mean the same thing to tesla as they mean to you?

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I picked up a demo back in December, it had been built in September and had 600 miles on it. It had exactly the specs I had ordered. They gave me $3k off, and I *didn't* have to buy FSD. It was listed as having FSD, but I didn't order that, so they didn't enable it. Super happy with my purchase.

About 2200 miles. About 4000 bucks ish.

So almost $2/mile. That’s a very fair discount. So it just comes down to whether it’s still in good condition and doesn’t have any issues to deal with. But I think it could be a good deal. I would be comfortable placing an order for it and then doing a thorough visual inspection on it prior to signing off on the paperwork. I might also ask Tesla to pull a copy of any service records just to make sure there weren’t any problems with it and it has not been in an accident.

So almost $2/mile. That’s a very fair discount. So it just comes down to whether it’s still in good condition and doesn’t have any issues to deal with. But I think it could be a good deal. I would be comfortable placing an order for it and then doing a thorough visual inspection on it prior to signing off on the paperwork. I might also ask Tesla to pull a copy of any service records just to make sure there weren’t any problems with it and it has not been in an accident.

Thanks for the input. We are out of the country for another week but if it’s still there when we get back we’ll scoop it. They need it picked up in 3 to 5 days from deposit. Otherwise we’ll order one in April.