TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any M3 Tech Solution to Eliminate Front Air Dam Crunches?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Myrddin, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Myrddin

Myrddin Member

I remember when cars began appearing with air dams under the front bumper. Soon after, many of the air dams looked pretty beat up after someone's haphazard nose-in park at a curb. Is there any M3 tech that helps eliminate nose air dam crunches when nose-in parking to a curb?

2. thimel

thimel Member

I suggest backing in using the rear camera. If you want to go in forward, you can pull in most of the way, get out of the car and use summon to pull in the rest of the way, stopping it manually when it is close enough. Unfortunately, there is no tech which makes this easier. The parking curbs are too low to be seen by the sonar when you are close.

3. idaten

idaten Member

Well, the tech may actually be there. You don't need a sensor that can image at distances of 1 ft. You need a sensor that can image at (say) 10 ft and other means to figure out how far you've traveled. I bet that could be added by software.

4. swaltner

swaltner Member

When I recently rode with my niece, who’s only been driving for a year or so, my only critique of her driving was how far forward she pulled the car into the parking stall. “While it’s not a problem in this car, you will eventually drive a car with a low nose and damage the car by pulling up so the wheels hit the curb. Get out of that habit now and avoid heartache in the future.”

Backing in and stopping before the curb even goes under the rear bumper is my preferred parking style in the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  5. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Such as speedometer+odometer.
    Too simple?

6. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

I’ve come up with the following. Use proper judgement and other cues plus:
    Watch the inches count down. Stop when they suddenly increase. Usually this happens in the teens.

• Like x 1
  7. idaten

idaten Member

If they can measure wheel rotation accurately and gauge initial distance then they're set.

8. reevesmpr

reevesmpr New Member

I have found the sensors on the front of the model 3 to be unreliable when it comes to concrete parking barriers. My solution was to install a infrared curb sensor. It is made by Brandmotion and the model is
    Curb Alert PRO Parking Sensor 5000-CA5 It works beautifully.

• Informative x 1