Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any military bros/sis in this forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the huge push by Tesla lately, I was just wondering if we have any military folks in this forum.
I’m at Fort Bragg and I have been seeing more and more Model 3’s/S and even Prius around lately. It’s pretty cool to see the small shift from the trendy Ford F- whatever’s, Tacoma’s, and Tundras (I’m guilty of this) to the more environmentally friendly cars. Hopefully the Tesla bug will catch fire here.
I’ve also been doing the wave thing that bikers and Jeep owners do. Hopefully I’m not being a cheese dick by doing it. Ha! If I am just flick me off and I’ll get the point.

20 years Army- retiring to Fort Couch soon
10 deployments
11 years SOF
Model 3 owner since SEP18

With the huge push by Tesla lately, I was just wondering if we have any military folks in this forum.
I’m at Fort Bragg and I have been seeing more and more Model 3’s/S and even Prius around lately. It’s pretty cool to see the small shift from the trendy Ford F- whatever’s, Tacoma’s, and Tundras (I’m guilty of this) to the more environmentally friendly cars. Hopefully the Tesla bug will catch fire here.
I’ve also been doing the wave thing that bikers and Jeep owners do. Hopefully I’m not being a cheese dick by doing it. Ha! If I am just flick me off and I’ll get the point.

20 years Army- retiring to Fort Couch soon
10 deployments
11 years SOF
Model 3 owner since SEP18
Yup! Few years in SOF but going back to big Army after going WO. My wife picked up my 3 while I was at WOBC and it sat for a month until I got back. I think one the Tesla pickup comes out, it'll win over alot of military people.

OP, you really need to specify whether you mean Active Duty, Reserve, Retired, or just someone who served and got out. There is already a thread for all that have served.
For ALL that serve/served.
Where is this thread that you talk about? I did a search and all that comes up was in the Model S page or threads that died long ago. If I missed it.. oh well, this one will die along with the rest

Reactions: untilcomplete
I am retired AF. I dont think most militery can afford a S or X.
But, a 3 would be a very smart purchase. The ROI on 10 yrs would realy save a person a lot of service money.
I have requested both commissary and Exchange install a generic charger, to no avail. They wont even answer the emails iv sent.
Until we can get a cherger on base, i know we are on our own. There is one drawback, we cant install a home charger connection.

I am retired AF. I dont think most militery can afford a S or X.
But, a 3 would be a very smart purchase. The ROI on 10 yrs would realy save a person a lot of service money.
I have requested both commissary and Exchange install a generic charger, to no avail. They wont even answer the emails iv sent.
Until we can get a cherger on base, i know we are on our own. There is one drawback, we cant install a home charger connection.
Hate to sound like a douche, but in case you haven’t noticed the PX and Commissary aren’t known to hire the best and brightest. Most of them probably didn’t know electric vehicles existed or can figure out email let alone a computer.
I apologize if I offended anyone, but the PX/Commisary workers I run into all over the world are about as worthless as tits on a boar.

Hate to sound like a douche, but in case you haven’t noticed the PX and Commissary aren’t known to hire the best and brightest. Most of them probably didn’t know electric vehicles existed or can figure out email let alone a computer.
I apologize if I offended anyone, but the PX/Commisary workers I run into all over the world are about as worthless as tits on a boar.
They're working in a big box store or grocery. The smart ones move on or are promoted fast.

Last edited:
OP, you really need to specify whether you mean Active Duty, Reserve, Retired, or just someone who served and got out. There is already a thread for all that have served.
It's a forum. Unless you're here all the time, you'll miss stuff. It's to be expected that threads will repeat over time (see: all the posts about V9 rear camera not on top)

I dont think most militery can afford a S or X.

I agree with this comment, as even my fellow officers are typically part of a single income household with a spouse and multiple kids. The average Major/O-4 makes a little over $100K per year combined (< 20% of military), but that dwindles very quickly when you have mouthes to feed, clothes to replace, etc..

Until the base model is available at $35K, the current versions are going to be a bit out of reach for your normal military member (even most enlisted ranks until you hit around E-7 if you have a family).

I agree with this comment, as even my fellow officers are typically part of a single income household with a spouse and multiple kids. The average Major/O-4 makes a little over $100K per year combined (< 20% of military), but that dwindles very quickly when you have mouthes to feed, clothes to replace, etc..

Humm but you didn’t account for the stipen, housing money and food and whatever money you get for spouse not working. All in all it’s upwards of $135k

• Disagree
Humm but you didn’t account for the stipen, housing money and food and whatever money you get for spouse not working. All in all it’s upwards of $135k
I'm a Financial Manager in the military, so yes, I did account for all. I accounted for basic pay, basic allowance for housing (which varies depending on your location) and the small amount we get for subsistence.

You don't get any additional funds for your spouse not working, not sure where you obtained that erroneous information.

I'm a Financial Manager in the military, so yes, I did account for all. I accounted for basic pay, basic allowance for housing (which varies depending on your location) and the small amount we get for subsistence.

You don't get any additional funds for your spouse not working, not sure where you obtained that erroneous information.
Guess in Los Angeles it pays a lot more.

Depends on your rank, but yes, the Basic Allowance for the LA area is an anomaly when compared to the rest of the country. Even with that, you are still talking about a very small percentage of military members that can afford a $50K+ vehicle.
True. I remember when I was AD during the late 70’s my yearly pay was around 9K and I couldn’t afford anything but an older used vehicle. Military pay has gotten way better over the years but a 50K+ purchase would probably be stretching the budget.