Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any one know how to remove the iPod dock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What radio do you have? For the JVC KD-NX5000 that came in the Roadster 1.5, the other end of the cable with 30-pin connector is hardwired into an adapter module that connects to the JVC, so just replacing the cable might not be possible. The situation might be different with other radios.

You can get an adapter from Apple to go from the 30-pin connector to a lightning connector. There are two kinds, one with a short cable between the connectors and one with no cable. These adapters allow music to play, but with the JVC it does not deliver charging to the phone. That's because the old connector does 12V Firewire charging while the lightning connector is for 5V USB charging. You can get a dockStubz+ adapter from CableJive to convert the power.

Mine was just dangling in the breeze. Unfortunately it’s tied into the loom so you can’t just use it to pull the new one through, I replaced it with a USB extension so I can put anything I like on the closest end.

It’s pretty easy to open things up around the E brake and disconnect the 30 pin connector which is a USB on the other end. Replace it with any common USB to lightning connector like what came with your phone. There are only a couple screws IIRC.

I brought the adaptor and connected to the dock. The sound is much much better than the bluetooth. The stock audio system is not bad....

Thanks for the advise.

BTW, I will try opening the dock that suggested by PV-EV. Hope I will not break the plastic components ( which I had some terrible experience in the past).

It’s pretty easy to open things up around the E brake and disconnect the 30 pin connector which is a USB on the other end. Replace it with any common USB to lightning connector like what came with your phone. There are only a couple screws IIRC.
Hi PV-EV,

I tried today to open the things up. I pull very hard and the things does not come out. I afraid I will break it if I pull harder. Can you show me some lights on how to open up that things? Some picture showing the steps will be very very helpful

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

I apologize. I mistakenly was remembering when I pulled my VDS. That is when I saw the other end of the iPod dock. It is still doable but just not as easy as I was suggesting. Maybe this will help.
CD8E391A-0480-4BEF-9613-0EE845E5DF0F.png

This should help (photos and instructions included).

This should help (photos and instructions included).

Thanks. I managed it in the end, after a bit of a struggle. That sprung steel clip at the back had a bit of a death grip on my car, but the pictures were very helpful.

ipod.cable.removal.2of3.jpg

I left it like this (see below):

ipod.cable.removal.1of3.jpg